When the TO3 died

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yay for Army. They outperformed based on their history. If they played our schedule this year, they would be 7-5 or 8-4. If we played theirs, we would be 11-2. People are acting like Army is Alabama and Monken is Saban.
Well they’re ranked #22 & after the blowout win against Houston will probably be Top 20. I’d prefer to trade places this year & so would about 90 other teams.

Well they’re ranked #22 & after the blowout win against Houston will probably be Top 20. I’d prefer to trade places this year & so would about 90 other teams.

No

No

No

90 other teams don't wanna be Army based on 1 yr vs G5 competition where all the stars aligned and they had a great season

What Army did doesn't put them closer to a CFP berth, that's what those other 90 teams are aiming for

Army is a cute little feel good story, GT FB should aspire to be much more than that

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
If GT wins a national championship in football I’ll position myself in the parking lot and kiss everyone’s *** on this board. How about I give you 10 years and if we don’t make it we get to take turns kicking you in the butt?

Same thing could have been said before 90. National Championships should always be the goal. I see know reason in playing if there not.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I realized in the 2010 Orange Bowl that given extra time, good coaching, and P5 talent, the TO would not be competitive in big games. It was just my opinion, but still bought season tickets through 2015. Then decided to spend my entertainment dollars on other things. Pumped about the coming changes, but will miss PJ the man.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
Same thing could have been said before 90. National Championships should always be the goal. I see know reason in playing if there not.
I wasn’t saying it couldn’t happen. The difference between now & 1990 is staggering. If we expand to a 16 team playoff we have a 5% chance at best. In the current format it’s damn near zero.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
No

No

No

90 other teams don't wanna be Army based on 1 yr vs G5 competition where all the stars aligned and they had a great season

What Army did doesn't put them closer to a CFP berth, that's what those other 90 teams are aiming for

Army is a cute little feel good story, GT FB should aspire to be much more than that
Lol Army won 10 games in 2017 and beat our current head coach; the result's aren't based on one year. Whether you like Monken or not, 99.9% of the college football world agrees that what Monken has done at Army is really exceptional.

Monken is 21-5 the last two years at Army. We just hired a coach that went 15-10 and lost to Army during that same time span.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t saying it couldn’t happen. The difference between now & 1990 is staggering. If we expand to a 16 team playoff we have a 5% chance at best. In the current format it’s damn near zero.

Lol. We are a better program now then we were in the 80’s. No doubt about that.

I agree the college football landscape has changed.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

In 1990, you had to win a popularity contest to get to a single game that determined the Natty. Today if you win out, you're in the CFP. Teams control their own destiny way more today than in 1990. We were a single game away from the CFP in 2014.

Animal02

Banned
In 1990, you had to win a popularity contest to get to a single game that determined the Natty. Today if you win out, you're in the CFP. Teams control their own destiny way more today than in 1990. We were a single game away from the CFP in 2014.
Revisionist history.....there is no way Tech would have been selected with two losses.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Revisionist history.....there is no way Tech would have been selected with two losses.

Who knows? We got into the Orange Bowl with a loss in that game. A win and who knows?

OK how bout this? Win winnable game vs Duke/UNC and make a few more plays against FSU and we're definitely in.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We have to be undefeated to make it. This year they picked between 1 loss Oh St, and OU. You think a 1 loss GT is going to nose out those 2?

meh, there have been strange years where strange things have happened. I do acknowledge that we'd need a ton of Stranger Things to happen to get in as a 1-loss.

I do think we'll go to 8 soon (within the next 20) and I don't think being in the top 8 twice in (say) 15 years is completely unreasonable.

Animal02

Banned
meh, there have been strange years where strange things have happened. I do acknowledge that we'd need a ton of Stranger Things to happen to get in as a 1-loss.

I do think we'll go to 8 soon (within the next 20) and I don't think being in the top 8 twice in (say) 15 years is completely unreasonable.
I would say it is absurdly optimistic. Once would be realistically optimistic.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We have to be undefeated to make it. This year they picked between 1 loss Oh St, and OU. You think a 1 loss GT is going to nose out those 2?
Depends who our one loss was to. If it’s to Clemson who we then beat in the ACC championship after beating a top 5 Uga too? Yes we go ahead of OSU. OU would be close.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Depends on the wins and losses themselves. What if our big wins are against Georgia, Clemson (ACCCG), Notre Dame, and FSU and our one loss is to Clemson (regular season)?

That’s a better resume than those two teams this year, and would get us picked.

This year they were picking between two one-loss teams that had not so great losses. IMO it was easy to pick Oklahoma since their loss was at least to a top-15 team and not a beat down by Purdue...

Now if our one loss is to Waie Forest we are screwed in that scenario...but yeah, it’s possible we get picked with one loss.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Depends on who the loss is to, and by what margin. Generally speaking the answer to your question is no.

But implying that we wouldn’t get in the CFP with losses to puke & cheat means you hate CPJ, hate GT, want GT to admit anyone, or have never attended a GT game.