When the TO3 died

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
The TO didn’t die. Since 2014 the string of injuries/departures we had on offense is pretty comical.

Jordan had to hang up the cleats. Ratcliffe had to hang up the cleats before his first day. Johnson got hurt. Marshall wouldn’t have started a single game for Tech without those.

Custis never played a down. Mills got kicked out. Marshall inexplicably left. Benson wouldn’t have started a single game if one of those had panned out. He wasn’t even supposed to be taking snaps. We went from one of the best RB tandems in the country to one of the worst out of bad luck.

And the AB injuries in 2015. I mean Jesus Christ.

The 2014 unit was the most efficient college football offense in modern history. Because we had an elite QB and good OL. You put JT5 on the team this year and we’re 10-2 (7-1). The saddest part about all of this is we had a RIDICULOUS depth chart at QB returning for 2019.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
The saddest part about all of this is we had a RIDICULOUS depth chart at QB returning for 2019.
All of whom couldn't win the starting job this year, except maybe Johnson but that is just speculation that we'll never know. But still, if the depth was 'ridiculous', you'd think some more noise would have been made this year.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
All of whom couldn't win the starting job this year, except maybe Johnson but that is just speculation that we'll never know. But still, if the depth was 'ridiculous', you'd think some more noise would have been made this year.

We had a QB controversy half of the season. That’s noise. I don’t necessarily agree we were LOADED with TO QBs in 2019, but there was enough evidence from Oliver’s success that claiming Marshall wasn’t our best QB this year isn’t that far fetched.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
2016 Clemson was it for me.
Being 3-0 and dominating Vanderbilt then turning around and getting thumped and embarrassed at home was one of the more disappointing losses. Of course I expected to lose to Clemson, but it was getting to the point to where we couldn’t even get a yard. Weren’t we negative in yards after the 1st quarter? Yeah Clemson usually destroys everyone but the repetitive series of plays in that game : Dive gets stuffed, QB keeps then pitches option Gets stuffed, QB gets sacked on 3rd and long really killed it for me.
Also a question I’ve been meaning to ask, was there ever a game when we lead by one possession and we sat on the ball for 8 minutes while we had the lead and then kneeled down to win? Everyone always talked about death marches but did we ever have one? I know we had game winning drives but did we ever just “Death March” someone?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Also a question I’ve been meaning to ask, was there ever a game when we lead by one possession and we sat on the ball for 8 minutes while we had the lead and then kneeled down to win? Everyone always talked about death marches but did we ever have one? I know we had game winning drives but did we ever just “Death March” someone?

Off the top of my head, this year Miami kicked off with 6:53 on the clock down 27-21 and never saw the ball again. Taquon kneeled it at the end.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Florida State 2009. 16 plays 80 yards and a td. I think when people discuss death marches this is the one they think of.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=292830052

Clemson 2009 we had a 7:40 (and got a FG). This is another iconic drive from early CPJ.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=293390228

While there aren't going to be many 8 minute drives, even 5 minutes is incredibly long (especially in this era).

Edit: I realize these aren't exactly "get the ball with 1 possession lead and drive for 8 minutes", but I thought they were interesting to share.

Second edit: Vanderbilt in 2009 Final possession was 7:38 and it wasn't one possession. Still must have been painful to be a Vandy fan.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=293040238

Last edited:

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
UCF has grown...Clemson under our forner AD and Dabo have grown...Duke under Cut has even grown...

I am not talking about Bama and Ohio State and ND....No more excuses!! Very few 1-AA teams like MTSU upset FBS programs.... Probably should.make a list of coaches and programs who have lost to 1-AA and see if you like the company that CPJ shares.
Off the top of my head, LSU and Florida. Sounds pretty nice, actually.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
You conveniently leave out the fact that the Academies are even tougher place to get in, not to mention the very small pool of kids they can recruit in the first place. So with that stated, that their recruiting really is nowhere near the other schools, it's a pretty amazing achievement the last 3 years.
No one is disputing that. Like I said, yay for Army. They had a wonderful season, but beating Lehigh and Colgate doesnt get me all that excited.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

Have you watched any games the last 11 seasons?

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the negative things about CPJ's offense that I haven't seen mentioned is the increased wear and tear I see when compared to watching our opponents' offences. It seems our guys are consistently getting hit/tackled even when it's obvious (at least from a viewer perspective) that those players don't have the ball. I don't see our defense doing the same to our opponents without drawing a flag. This might contribute to why it looks like our QBs/BBs/ABs are often injured or playing at less than 100%.

Animal02

Banned
One of the negative things about CPJ's offense that I haven't seen mentioned is the increased wear and tear I see when compared to watching our opponents' offences. It seems our guys are consistently getting hit/tackled even when it's obvious (at least from a viewer perspective) that those players don't have the ball. I don't see our defense doing the same to our opponents without drawing a flag. This might contribute to why it looks like our QBs/BBs/ABs are often injured or playing at less than 100%.
Have said similar in the past regarding the QBs.....they take a beating over season(s) and become more tentative.