What's the loudest you've ever heard Bobby Dodd Stadium?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
What is The Citadel's mascot? A bulldog, maybe? Was the injury to a real bull dog or just a student in a bull dog costume? The Rats should not have been chasing anyone but I see no reason to have kept them off the field for the team entrance.

A person in a costume.

Nobody cared about them forming a tunnel onto the field (I think aTm still does it.), but when you start injuring people that is a different story.

Pretty sleazy to have 100 people chasing after some kid in a costume to try and pretend they are showing school spirit.

Prefer they show up at the game on time, in their own costume if they want, and screaming their guts out. Every game - every week.

JMO

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think it may have happened before Pepper, about 72 or 73. The Clemson rivalry was partly the result of Coach Frank Howard and Coach Dodd having a good relationship and the need Clemson had during the 1950s and early 1960s for a money maker game that would be easy for their fans to attend, hence the Tech game. My recollection is that they did not get Tech to go to Memorial Stadium until sometime in the 1970s. To be sure, their main rival is South Carolina but we are probably second. All the more reason to start improving our program to the point where we can be competitive with the Tigers again.

I think our first time there was 74.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A person in a costume.

Nobody cared about them forming a tunnel onto the field (I think aTm still does it.), but when you start injuring people that is a different story.

Pretty sleazy to have 100 people chasing after some kid in a costume to try and pretend they are showing school spirit.

Prefer they show up at the game on time, in their own costume if they want, and screaming their guts out. Every game - every week.

JMO

I remember thinking as I watched it from the old North Stands, those guys are just trying to draw attention to themselves. A sort of "Look at me" moment to be sure. I guess that is what made them "RATS"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yep. We lead the series because even when Clemson had good teams under Coach Howard, they always seemed to have bad luck at Grant Field. That Frank Howard was something else. One year they were set to open against Alabama when the Bear had small players who were extremely quick while Clemson had the big country boys and lacked speed. Coach Howard complained that the Bear was sandbagging about his players' weights and wanted to check out Alabama's scales. (Understand this was all in fun and the sportswriters were just eating it up as they did most things about the "Bashful Baron of Barlow Bend" Anyway, the Bear goes along with it and instructs his managers to somehow rig the scales so that they would be 25lbs less than would show on the meter. Frank gets on the scale and looks in astonishment (probably feigned for the benefit of the writers) and says: "Hell, Bear these scales are correct after all" He could be funny without even trying.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think our first time there was 74.
You are correct. The first time we went to Clemson was in 1974 and we lost. From 1970 through 1975 we won 5 out of 6 games which was pretty typical even though we really had only 1 good team during that era. The Tech game was huge to their team, their fans and their coaches. Probably the biggest game on their schedule in those days other than South Carolina.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
For me... It was a GT / Miami game. It was a night game and the crowd was loud, the whole game. It was maybe 4-5 years ago. Cannot recall the exact date.
I guess you are talking about the white out game when Laskey scored that last touchdown and jumped into the student section in the end zone. It was loud that night for sure. As I recall, they were ranked and favored but the triple option was clicking on all cylinders especially the dive.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If it did, it would have had to be before '78. Tech did not play Clemp while I was there. (Why I don't get the Clemp rivalry)
A couple of years after I got there, they banned the rats on the field.
It happened against Clemson and I was either in Senior or grad section in upper deck. That was either 1972 or 1973. The next time we played Clemson at BDS they brought the freshman/JV team out on the field to protect the mascot. The students were chanting Get the Tiger get the Tiger. The tiger was standing about midfield and took off toward the south end. The rats caught the mascot about the 20 yard line in the south end. There was a big pile and this one guy comes flying out of there running back toward the rat section holding the tail above his head. It was before the teams had come out of the locker rooms. I think they stopped the rats from going out on the field after that. I can't remember when they did away with the rat section on.the east side. Terrible seats. My freshman year was the last official year of enforced rat rules. 1964. (I spent 4 years in the navy and came back to graduate if you do the math). I did not attend an Auburn game in 1979 so maybe it happened again. I had moved away by then.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The loudest game I remember was the Halloween night we beat Clemson on homecoming weekend. Full house that night and we threw an intercepion deep in our own end and then clemson immediately threw am interception in our end zone. Place went crazy.

Animal02

Banned
It happened against Clemson and I was either in Senior or grad section in upper deck. That was either 1972 or 1973. The next time we played Clemson at BDS they brought the freshman/JV team out on the field to protect the mascot. The students were chanting Get the Tiger get the Tiger. The tiger was standing about midfield and took off toward the south end. The rats caught the mascot about the 20 yard line in the south end. There was a big pile and this one guy comes flying out of there running back toward the rat section holding the tail above his head. It was before the teams had come out of the locker rooms. I think they stopped the rats from going out on the field after that. I can't remember when they did away with the rat section on.the east side. Terrible seats. My freshman year was the last official year of enforced rat rules. 1964. (I spent 4 years in the navy and came back to graduate if you do the math). I did not attend an Auburn game in 1979 so maybe it happened again. I had moved away by then.
Rats forming part of the T ended around '80. I was a rat in '78 and we went out on the field.....I know it ended before I escaped.
Those "seats" were horrible. I don't know if the got rid of them sooner than the first renovation......but once they eliminated the running track around the field, they were gone.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I was a rat in '78 and we went out on the field......

I may have been on the field with you during the first home game against California. I don't remember hearing 'Rats on the field' in subsequent years. I think my rat hat with the scores on it is at my parent's house.

Animal02

Banned
I may have been on the field with you during the first home game against California. I don't remember hearing 'Rats on the field' in subsequent years. I think my rat hat with the scores on it is at my parent's house.
I think they still did it in '79 because I seem to recall enjoying yelling it instead of being the target for it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Fall quarter 1964 was the last year that rat caps were worn every day on campus br freshmen. I think maybe not required on Sunday but we wore them everywhere. If the freshman team beat uga on thanksgiving day we did not have to wear them rest of the quarter. The band is only organisation that seems to wear them now.