What's the loudest you've ever heard Bobby Dodd Stadium?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Also the 2005 uga game which was just a BRUTAL loss, was a great atmosphere. The atmospheres at the games just used to be so much better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, this was in response to the Ala game of 1962.
Grant Field held 65,000 or so in those days. It was almost entirely filled with Tech fans who uncharacteristically really wanted a piece of Bear Bryant. It is difficult to convey to modern fans the utter disdain and hatred that permeated Tech fans of that era and how loud that stadium was especially in the fourth quarter. I cannot say, in light of 2011 Clemson or 2009 Virginia Tech or 2006 Maryland that it was any louder but the intensity was probably greater. My parents who were always impeccably dressed and well behaved at Tech games, even UGA, were really into that Alabama game. I have seen some strange sights at Tech games down through the years including a remarkable fisticuff between opposing band members in Peters Park one year after a Tech -Clemson game and the day it rained fish on Notre Dame but I have never seen anything like watching Bear Bryant ducking whiskey bottles raining down from the Tech student section. A pity one of them didn't hit that SOB Gene Stallings.

Grant Field held 65,000 or so in those days. It was almost entirely filled with Tech fans who uncharacteristically really wanted a piece of Bear Bryant. It is difficult to convey to modern fans the utter disdain and hatred that permeated Tech fans of that era and how loud that stadium was especially in the fourth quarter. I cannot say, in light of 2011 Clemson or 2009 Virginia Tech or 2006 Maryland that it was any louder but the intensity was probably greater. My parents who were always impeccably dressed and well behaved at Tech games, even UGA, were really into that Alabama game. I have seen some strange sights at Tech games down through the years including a remarkable fisticuff between opposing band members in Peters Park one year after a Tech -Clemson game and the day it rained fish on Notre Dame but I have never seen anything like watching Bear Bryant ducking whiskey bottles raining down from the Tech student section. A pity one of them didn't hit that SOB Gene Stallings.
I don't remember the bottles being thrown. The only time I remember that happening was the Dan Devine ND game, many years later.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember the bottles being thrown. The only time I remember that happening was the Dan Devine ND game, many years later.
Oh yeah, he, Bear Bryant picked one up and in his autobiography he turned to an assistant and said "I thought Tech fans had better taste" Being something of an expert on various brands of whiskey, he would know.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I think that was the infamous "fish incident" when Coach Devine ran out on the field holding a fish and screaming at an official. I only wish a bottle had hit him in the head, it might have knocked some sense into that old fool. Boy, he hated Pepper Rogers with a passion. When he was at Missouri and Pepper was coaching at Kansas and doing things like turning cartwheels leading his team onto the field, Coach Devine scarcely hid his disdain. One year, Missouri which had far better players was way ahead in the fourth quarter and Pepper, being Pepper, flashed the peace sign to Devine who gave him half of it back so the story goes. I can believe it.

I think that was the infamous "fish incident" when Coach Devine ran out on the field holding a fish and screaming at an official. I only wish a bottle had hit him in the head, it might have knocked some sense into that old fool. Boy, he hated Pepper Rogers with a passion. When he was at Missouri and Pepper was coaching at Kansas and doing things like turning cartwheels leading his team onto the field, Coach Devine scarcely hid his disdain. One year, Missouri which had far better players was way ahead in the fourth quarter and Pepper, being Pepper, flashed the peace sign to Devine who gave him half of it back so the story goes. I can believe it.
The first "fish incident" was against Ara Parshegian's ND team. Yes, they threw fish against Devine too, but the bottles started when he continued to run up the score. I don't like throwing bottles, but I'm with you. I wish one had hit him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The first "fish incident" was against Ara Parshegian's ND team. Yes, they threw fish against Devine too, but the bottles started when he continued to run up the score. I don't like throwing bottles, but I'm with you. I wish one had hit him.
Yep. I stand corrected it was against the team of the "Era of Ara". Funny thing about that guy, he had sense enough to get out of that pressure cooker when he was more or less on top. Smart fellow that.

Animal02

Banned
That game was during my first quarter at Tech.
IIRC, our frat dining steward (who also posts here) took orders for frozen fish the week prior to that ND game....for people that wanted to bring some to the stadium. :D.