What music are you listening to?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT_EE 78, I am about your age. Here is a link to one of my current favorites (Warren Haynes/Govt Mule) covering Humble Pie's 30 Days in the Hole.

Also, I am a huge blues fan. The absolute best live show I have ever seen was in the ATL when I was at Tech. Me and a buddy went to the Electric Ballroom (iirc) to see George Thorogood and the Destroyers. The opening act was a young, unknown kid out of Texas. It was Stevie Ray Vaughan and seeing him in a small venue was unreal. Thorogood was great as well but we all knew that SRV was someone at a different level of good. Like Calvin Johnson or Tiger Woods once in a generation or so type of good. They were both young, relatively unknowns and played like it was not yet a job for them.There weren't 80 people there that night and the environment was electric. People were literally dancing on the table tops and passing around fifths of Jack Daniels while doing so.

GT_EE78

Banned
GT_EE 78, I am about your age. Here is a link to one of my current favorites (Warren Haynes/Govt Mule) covering Humble Pie's 30 Days in the Hole.

Also, I am a huge blues fan. The absolute best live show I have ever seen was in the ATL when I was at Tech. Me and a buddy went to the Electric Ballroom (iirc) to see George Thorogood and the Destroyers. The opening act was a young, unknown kid out of Texas. It was Stevie Ray Vaughan and seeing him in a small venue was unreal. Thorogood was great as well but we all knew that SRV was someone at a different level of good. Like Calvin Johnson or Tiger Woods once in a generation or so type of good. They were both young, relatively unknowns and played like it was not yet a job for them.There weren't 80 people there that night and the environment was electric. People were literally dancing on the table tops and passing around fifths of Jack Daniels while doing so.

Must have been a great show.1974-78 were great years for music in Atlanta.
I went to the Electric ballroom many times esp 74-75 when i could walk from Smith dorm.
kiss,Robin trower,Frank Marino are what i can remember there.I've seen Thoroughgood in ATL but too many dead brain cells to remember where.
Sometimes i still wonder how i graduated
The fox was also walking distance.saw Skynryd there, etal
can't beat blues

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I love Robin Trower and his (relatively) recent blues stuff is fantastic. Peter Frampton's latest blues album is also incredibly good. I imagine you probably like Tedeschi Trucks Band as well as they dip into the blues and all the bands out of the Allman Brother family tree are good imo.

As far as I am concerned, the roots of all mainstream music comes from the blues and bluegrass (which I also love). Everything else is a derivative and flows out of these two.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Beach Music from the 60s of course, along with anything by Sam Cooke, Roy Orbinson, Isley Bros., and Jackie Wilson! I'd pay big bucks to go to a late 60s/early 70s frat party with a great live band. There's a reason so many commercials now feature oldies.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I listen to Rebelution, Slightly Stoopid, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Chronixx, anything like that normally. Sometimes I like to switch to things like Rehab, Almost Kinds and similar music.

b1llf1sh

Georgia Tech Fan
I love listening to Mac Demarco whenever I travel for a fishing trip. I havent fished for a while but Im planning a fishing trip somewhere in Georgia next month. Im quite excited to listen to Mac Demarco again. If anyone is looking to fish around Georgia, you should have a peek at this website.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've been on a covers kick recently. I found a Chris Cornell cover of Dolly Parton's now timeless "I will always love you" and it sent me down the Chris Cornell covers rabbit hole. IMO, he's got a timeless rock voice and with a lot of range. Maybe the best voice of the 90's grunge rock front men. Really sad he took his own life...another example of no matter how talented, attractive, and rich you may be, there are demons you can't out run.

Milwaukee

Banned
I've been on a covers kick recently. I found a Chris Cornell cover of Dolly Parton's now timeless "I will always love you" and it sent me down the Chris Cornell covers rabbit hole. IMO, he's got a timeless rock voice and with a lot of range. Maybe the best voice of the 90's grunge rock front men. Really sad he took his own life...another example of no matter how talented, attractive, and rich you may be, there are demons you can't out run.

If you like acoustic covers check out Allen Stone’s version of Sex and Candy.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
At some point, I would LOVE to see Tower of Power live...I have friends who are professional musicians that tell me Tower of Power put on the best show they had ever seen in their lives.