What music are you listening to?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw Natalie Merchant at Chastain in the 90s. She did a very good show. Unfortunately, the champagne crowd at Chastain didn't pay very much attention to the music.
I have not lived in Atl for more than 20 years....but I remember seeing the Gypsy Kings at Chastain. People were dancing in the aisles. Terrific show.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Saw The Mavericks recently and it was a really fun show. But crowd was split between those who wanted to dance (me) and those who weren’t paying attention because they came to see Dwight Yokum.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It's been 25 years since my last Chastain show, but I remember the elaborate table settings and fancy meals people brought. After they unloaded everything there was hardly room to get up, much less dance.
I won't argue with you....some folks certainly weren't dancing for the reasons you state; but those with easy access to the aisles and crosswalks were having a blast.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I won't argue with you....some folks certainly weren't dancing for the reasons you state; but those with easy access to the aisles and crosswalks were having a blast.
I am not arguing or disagreeing. When I close my eyes and think about all the concerts I attended at Chastain, I can't find a picture of a raucous crowd dancing. But, I didn't go to that concert. I wish I had.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not arguing or disagreeing. When I close my eyes and think about all the concerts I attended at Chastain, I can't find a picture of a raucous crowd dancing. But, I didn't go to that concert. I wish I had.
Saw Indigo Girls at Chastain years ago, lots of tables, wine, candlelight etc. Amy’s mom and dad there. But dancing and swaying in all the seat areas.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. My wife was Amy's track coach at Shamrock. She taught both she and Emily pre calculus. We saw them perform at the L5P Pub and lots of the other local spots. We never saw them at Chastain.
Emily’s dad was a professor of mine in grad school that I still occasionally see.

The Girls are definitely better in smaller venues imo. Saw them in a very small club in Macon some 30 years ago with Michael Stipe and it was better than any of the other times I’ve seen them.