What is this thing about Waffle House?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just got back from Korea after being there a year and the first meal I had was Waffle House. Had the patty melt and covered and topped hash browns

Way to go!
For give me I drove past a waffle house in Beaux Bridge Lousiana to eat crawfish ( in season).
Will hold 3 meeting at waffle house w NEW Pensacola high football coach and key members of football booster club
20190210_133046.jpg

Cam

Helluva Engineer
That's a pretty funny piece. Alternates between "GT is irrelevant and always will be" and "GT is a major threat to our footprint in the state." The author can't really make up his mind. If Smart or his players even attempt to make any kind of social media grab for Waffle House, it's going to come off pretty awkwardly as petty imitation. The whole Waffle House thing has been pretty clever by Collins; it's having the desired effect of tying him to a Georgia (and generally Southern) institution and endearing him to fans and players.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think it's pretty funny that he mentions Tech only has two 10 win seasons in the last decade, but we still have the more recent national title.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
He also leaved out the CEO of Waffle House is a GT alum. That alone would go a long way to explaining the GT connection.

Honestly the whole thing came off like a child whining when he sees something another kid had and decided he wanted it. The dawgs have Ford trucks locked down, just be happy with that and move on.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
He also leaved out the CEO of Waffle House is a GT alum. That alone would go a long way to explaining the GT connection.

Honestly the whole thing came off like a child whining when he sees something another kid had and decided he wanted it. The dawgs have Ford trucks locked down, just be happy with that and move on.
Yeah he pretty much says it is more related to Tech in the article.
Yes the restaurant was founded in Atlanta. And yes, its colors are much closer to Georgia Tech’s than Georgia’s. But Waffle House still has a large presence in Athens. And as much as it’s an Atlanta staple, Waffle House is also a Georgia institution.
I love how he says they have a large presence in Athens as if that is the reason it should be associated with ugag. according to the waffle house website there are 7 locations with an Athens address and over 24 with an Atlanta address. Those are locations where the address is specifically Athens, GA or Atlanta, GA and if I spread it out to include the nearby areas around Athens and around Atlanta the percent difference would be even larger! To his final point in the quote, Georgia Tech is also in Georgia so that is moot, but thanks for also pointing out that it is an Atlanta staple and not an Athens staple again!

SiliconJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
There's a much bigger Tech connection at Waffle House than that 'author' bothered to check. I don't care what this put on the official Waffle House history page, the colors were a nod to Tech by the son of the founder who came in and made the company what it is.

[edit: I don't know why its putting this big space here]

There was a talk put on a few years ago about it:

Since 1955, Waffle House has been on the list of favorite restaurants for Georgia Tech students and alumni. And not surprising, the formula for the success of the company is built on great Tech alumni leadership including Joe Rogers (IM '68) Bert Thornton (IM '68), Walt Ehmer (IE '89) and many others. Join Walt, current CEO of Waffle House, as he discusses the rich history behind the Georgia Tech/Waffle House connection and how the Tech network led to great opportunities, both professionally and personally. Joining Walt will be a number of Tech alumni Waffle House executives and get networking advice from the CEO of America's number one diner.

And yes, Bert's Chili was created by Bert Thornton:
https://bertthornton.wordpress.com/tag/berts-chili/