Welcome Coach Collins!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
One thing I hope TStan does: Raises the goal of the Capital Raise. I hope he raises it by a significant amount.

This is not a slight on CPJ, but more of what Collins represents: New era, new opportunity. You have to give CPJ a LOT of credit for this, because all this happens because he did it cleanly, instead of leaving in a messy situation. Bravo to CPJ for that.

GT and TStan need to use this opportunity while the fanbase is fired up, and I fully expect Collins to get us revved up as well, to seize all the good feelings and leverage to bring in more money. As you can see from @Ibeeballin 's post, there's is new energy within our fanbase, former SA's, and I'm willing to believe it's also affecting our larger donors.

Let's literally capitalize on this opportunity. Welcome aboard, Coach!
They have a real chance to ignite the fan base with this hire. Should be a real interesting spring game. Start by getting a better PA/music selection and schedule.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
They have a real chance to ignite the fan base with this hire. Should be a real interesting spring game. Start by getting a better PA/music selection and schedule.

An unreliable source, who isn’t close to the program, told me that a wealthy donor’s child runs the PA at BDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Very excited about this hire ! High energy , good experience at the top level ( SEC) and local connections for recruiting. Might take a year, but the cupboard is not exactly bare, with some young athletic guys, who can run.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
More good stuff here:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...h-coach-geoff-collins/tfOCKqTr9YoUsIsVEfvUCO/

Collins took plenty from his time from working for coach Nick Saban. Two lessons that he mentioned in an interview with Sports Illustrated in 2017:

“The opponent and scoreboard don’t matter. He talks about that all the time. You have to get better at what you do on a daily basis, doesn’t matter what your role is. Accept personal responsibility for your own self-determination. He says that all the time. And so every day, you come into this building as a player or a coach, you have a responsibility to do your job and to accept that responsibility and to be driven and motivated to do it.”

Collins said that O’Leary taught him toughness, work ethic and attention to detail.

He told a story about how he pestered O’Leary to let him recruit, telling him he could do it. O’Leary gave him permission during Collins’ second year as a GA. Collins said that O’Leary told him that the coaching staff focused its attention on six primary states, and that he could have the other 44.

“And I took that and I ran with it,” Collins said.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's true. Temple fans are having a meltdown...not because of Collins specifically, but for getting treated like a side piece until their coach finally finds a wife.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo.../11/29/18112484/coaching-hires-fires-analysis

I’m interested to see what a good recruiter can do at Tech. Many young coaches have speculated privately that the job is a sleeping giant. I don’t know about the giant part, but it has been sleeping.

I don’t expect for Tech to start competing with Georgia for recruits. It’s simply not that level of job. It’s not going to commit those type of resources.

And the academic requirements to get into Georgia Tech are tough. That is commonly viewed as an obstacle in recruiting.

But why can’t Georgia Tech compete with top academic schools like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Duke, who commonly come into the state and sign quality prospects?

Why can’t Georgia Tech compete with North Carolina, N.C. State, and Ole Miss for prospects?

It feels like every school in the country recruits Georgia. Tech should as well. I think it will do so under Collins. He brings energy and passion to recruiting.

Paul Johnson’s scheme and coaching helped to overcome the talent disadvantage. We’ll see if Collins’ coaching combined with greater talent on the roster in the coming years will yield better results.

The timing for the move feels right. Switching from triple option personnel on offense will be a slow process, but no other school in the ACC Coastal has real momentum. Not Miami. Not Virginia Tech. And not UNC.