Welcome Coach Collins!

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I am so glad this worked out so well. KW didn’t take the job and I think we got a great fit with Collins. I can’t wait to hear his presser later and what his plans are moving forward for the program and recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am so glad this worked out so well. KW didn’t take the job and I think we got a great fit with Collins. I can’t wait to hear his presser later and what his plans are moving forward for the program and recruiting.

What's the over/under on how times he gets asked about his offense?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Somebody please help me. I'm happy with the hire, but half the time when I see "Geoff", it registers as "Goff". Can we all agree to call him Coach Collins?

Since I also really like Top Gear, I can't help not thinking about this....a Ramblin Wreck of a type

MaleCelebratedEuropeanpolecat-max-1mb.gif

JacketsOfYellow

Georgia Tech Fan
So here's the rundown. Been keeping an eye on Temple since I came up here for grad school.

Collins is likely to bring Thacker (DC) and Garret (recruiting coordinator). That gives us 3 guys with immediate GA ties (not that its THAT important). Burton (DBs) and Panagos slightly less likely to come over but the feeling is that both are good coaches, particularly Panagos and both have recruiting ties to NC and NJ. Panagos very strong in NJ/NY from his Rutgers days. Good recruiter. Odds are good the entire defensive staff joins Collins but not 100% certain. That's the sense I'm getting from Temple's POV. WR coach Hixon may join but the feeling is OC Patenaude isn't tagging along (nor will he be staying at Temple). RB coach Tony Lucas, also a good recruiter, probably will join if Hixon goes.

As for Collins himself. Really hire energy guy. A player's coach, everywhere he goes the players love him. He puts 100% effort into his coaching. Leaves it all out there.

Gamedays a little different but since Temple was his first HC gig maybe he's smoothed out the surface. Feeling is from the Temple side is that he took a Temple team capable of winning 10 games both seasons and went 6-6 and 8-4. Really rough starts to both seasons. Hopefully we don't have our FCS version of Villanova scheduled anytime soon. His personnel choices (both coaching and players) have at times been contentious.

Collins the recruiter is TBD. His first recruiting class for Temple was a wash because that was the year Rhule left and Collins had to scramble to pick up the pieces. His second class was better on paper. Unorthodox, innovative, old school people will probably roll their eyes at his tactics but recruits love it. He's been job hopping so much hard to determine how well he develops his talents. Most of the players he recruits have done well at their programs. But his stints have been too short IMO to judge him on his abilities to recruit.

That's the short and skinny of it. I have mixed feelings on him coming here but if he stays for 4-5 years the potential is there to win the ACC. Yes, I said it. But he has to bring the right people. And stay.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So here's the rundown. Been keeping an eye on Temple since I came up here for grad school.

Collins is likely to bring Thacker (DC) and Garret (recruiting coordinator). That gives us 3 guys with immediate GA ties (not that its THAT important). Burton (DBs) and Panagos slightly less likely to come over but the feeling is that both are good coaches, particularly Panagos and both have recruiting ties to NC and NJ. Panagos very strong in NJ/NY from his Rutgers days. Good recruiter. Odds are good the entire defensive staff joins Collins but not 100% certain. That's the sense I'm getting from Temple's POV. WR coach Hixon may join but the feeling is OC Patenaude isn't tagging along (nor will he be staying at Temple). RB coach Tony Lucas, also a good recruiter, probably will join if Hixon goes.

As for Collins himself. Really hire energy guy. A player's coach, everywhere he goes the players love him. He puts 100% effort into his coaching. Leaves it all out there.

Gamedays a little different but since Temple was his first HC gig maybe he's smoothed out the surface. Feeling is from the Temple side is that he took a Temple team capable of winning 10 games both seasons and went 6-6 and 8-4. Really rough starts to both seasons. Hopefully we don't have our FCS version of Villanova scheduled anytime soon. His personnel choices (both coaching and players) have at times been contentious.

Collins the recruiter is TBD. His first recruiting class for Temple was a wash because that was the year Rhule left and Collins had to scramble to pick up the pieces. His second class was better on paper. Unorthodox, innovative, old school people will probably roll their eyes at his tactics but recruits love it. He's been job hopping so much hard to determine how well he develops his talents. Most of the players he recruits have done well at their programs. But his stints have been too short IMO to judge him on his abilities to recruit.

That's the short and skinny of it. I have mixed feelings on him coming here but if he stays for 4-5 years the potential is there to win the ACC. Yes, I said it. But he has to bring the right people. And stay.

"if he stays for 4-5 years"

Thank you.

Like I expected for someone who has really never stayed anywhere longer than about 3 years, lots of ifs and buts, but we will see. I also have very mixed feelings - I think the OC hire is super critical.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Temple has formally announced that Coach Collins has left for Georgia Tech and that assistant HC/special teams coordinator/special teams coach Ed Foley will be the interim head coach for Temple's Independence Bowl game against Duke.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure Tstan will cover this later, but what happens over the next few weeks since technically we will have two head coaches until the bowl game is over.
CPJ normally would be out on the recruit trail until the week of bowl practice. So I assume we won't hear much from CPJ until the week of the bowl and then the torch passed off.
I assume Coach Collins will be on the recruit trail in the interim?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Looked up an Athlon preview for the 2017 Temple team. They lost a 3 year starter at QB, a 1st round NFL pass rusher and their whole LB corps. They graduated 27 of 41 sacks from the previous season. So I'm not sure why Temple fans thought they should have been a 10 win team in 2017, but fans are fans.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for background.
CONTENT IS KING

The talking a recruiting game at Ala, miss st, and Florida is way easier then temple and gt.

As to Temple's recent success , do u credit it to Rhule? He seems to be getting Baylor on track.

Also like u, I think he wants to leavehere for a great job. Imagine hiring a new coach when he leaves after we are winning. That's a great problem

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why Temple is getting whiny about it. They almost shut the doors 20 years ago. They got kicked out of the Big East for a bunch of reasons.

I've been reading that they think this is a parallel move by more than a few of their fans. Call me when you win a conference championship, much less a natty.

I think it's expected that fans will be whiny when a good coach leaves after only two seasons.

I got my master's at Temple and had classes with a few members of Rhule's staff. Some stayed on when Collins came to town. Since he was hired I've heard "dream job" and "dying for the GT job" associated with him. I don't think the move is a surprise to anyone in power at Temple, but I'm sure the timing is. Perhaps the timing is also a surprise for Collins. I suspect both he and the school expected him to be there for at least three years, more likely 4 or 5.

At the end of the day, Temple is a stepping stone job. To me that's a good thing for a school in their position. One of their big drawbacks, outside of not being a P5 obviously, is their failure to build their own on-campus stadium. I had the opportunity to do some work on the process while I was there and they have the right idea. A 30-35K seat, privately funded stadium that would bring alums to campus in the fall. Unfortunately the city and surrounding neighborhood have kept them from moving forward as of now. So they still pay a few million to rent the Linc each season and force everyone on campus to travel to South Philly. Sorry, for the tangent.

At the end of the day I think GT made a good hire and I'd confident that Pat Kraft (a great up-and-coming AD, wisely turned down the Maryland job) will keep the momentum going on North Broad. So I am happy all around.