Welcome Coach Collins!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think it's expected that fans will be whiny when a good coach leaves after only two seasons.

I got my master's at Temple and had classes with a few members of Rhule's staff. Some stayed on when Collins came to town. Since he was hired I've heard "dream job" and "dying for the GT job" associated with him. I don't think the move is a surprise to anyone in power at Temple, but I'm sure the timing is. Perhaps the timing is also a surprise for Collins. I suspect both he and the school expected him to be there for at least three years, more likely 4 or 5.

At the end of the day, Temple is a stepping stone job. To me that's a good thing for a school in their position. One of their big drawbacks, outside of not being a P5 obviously, is their failure to build their own on-campus stadium. I had the opportunity to do some work on the process while I was there and they have the right idea. A 30-35K seat, privately funded stadium that would bring alums to campus in the fall. Unfortunately the city and surrounding neighborhood have kept them from moving forward as of now. So they still pay a few million to rent the Linc each season and force everyone on campus to travel to South Philly. Sorry, for the tangent.

At the end of the day I think GT made a good hire and I'd confident that Pat Kraft (a great up-and-coming AD, wisely turned down the Maryland job) will keep the momentum going on North Broad. So I am happy all around.
Well said.
I have a buddy I met here in pensacola who is a temple grad. We may fly up for the game. Will both have new coaches so no excuses next year

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Looked up an Athlon preview for the 2017 Temple team. They lost a 3 year starter at QB, a 1st round NFL pass rusher and their whole LB corps. They graduated 27 of 41 sacks from the previous season. So I'm not sure why Temple fans thought they should have been a 10 win team in 2017, but fans are fans.
Except defense wasn't their issue this year, it was their lack of offense.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Except defense wasn't their issue this year, it was their lack of offense.
"2017" "They lost a 3 year starter at QB" The defense did fall off statistically in 2017. They had the 3rd ranked YPG defense in the nation the previous season. If y'all want to look for reasons to slag Collins before he's ever coached a game, have at it though.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Was at Hibbetts Sports at my local mall when I got off work, buying the Navy Jerseys to wear during the bowl game. Guy that was ringing me up noticed it and asked me if I heard the news about the new hire. Told him I did and was exited and he said he was happy for GT, and I asked him why. He said he went to high school with Kenny Cooper and they were friends and that Kenny and the rest of the GT players were excited to run a new offense. If the players are exited, we as fans should be even more excited...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
"2017" "They lost a 3 year starter at QB" The defense did fall off statistically in 2017. They had the 3rd ranked YPG defense in the nation the previous season. If y'all want to look for reasons to slag Collins before he's ever coached a game, have at it though.
Collins seems fine. His OC at Tenple is the one I am not confident in. But feel free to read into what I am saying some more.

Edit: Also, Temple def FEI was rank 27 in 2017 and 25 in 2018. So no fall off at all. YPG is such a meaningless stat. If total yards mattered than we'd have been declared winners of the USF game.
Temple off FEI improved from 2017 to 2018, but it was nowhere near good. 2017 rank 97. 2018 rank 57. Certainly an improvement even if they lost that starter you keep bringing up. Since Collins is a defensive minded coach I credit him more for his defense than offense, thus why I am not too worried.

Last edited:

joeski088

Georgia Tech Fan
As a Temple fan, I wish GT and Collins all the luck in the world (except when they play us), but I can't say that I'm sad to see him go. If I were a GT fan I would PRAY that he doesn't bring the OC Dave Patenaude with him. That guy has no clue how to get the most out of his talent. He wants to run HIS system, and not the system that he has the talent to run. When he came to Temple he swore he would keep the same offensive mentality of running behind a fullback and despite having what Collins called "the best fullback in the country" last season in Nick Sharga, the fullback barely ever saw the field. Needless to say, the offense was less than spectacular. You cannot run the spread without the personnel to do it. Not to mention the offense snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock repeatedly with under 5 minutes to go and a lead.

Collins may be able to recruit, but the gameday coaching leaves A LOT to be desired. I hope you guys don't play Villanova or Buffalo next year, because their coaches had their way with Collins and his staff. At the end of the day, he's a used car salesman with a whole bunch of gimmicks and slogans (Money Downs, Swag Chalice, Above the Line, etc.), but very mediocre in the way of X's and O's. He's a slick talker who will convince kids to come to GT, but he's not going to outcoach anyone on gameday. He reminded me of Al Golden in that regard (although completely opposite in style). Great recruiter, good organizer, poor gameday coach.

Temple had 2 strong seasons in the AAC because Matt Rhule left him with a ton of talent that outclassed most of the other teams in the conference. Outside of UCF, USF, Cincinnati, and Houston, they were stronger, faster, and more athletic than every other team in the conference. They also didn't win this season until they finally started Anthony Russo at quarterback. (Something every Temple fan had called for since the beginning of last season) I don't follow ACC football very much at all, so I'm not sure where GT stands talent-wise in the conference, but unless you guys have superior talent, I don't see Collins putting you over the top and competing for a conference championship. He will do an OK job, keep you bowl eligible and relevant, but that's about it. Despite 2 decent seasons, I'm not sad to see him go, and I don't know of any other Temple fans that are either.

That being said, good luck to GT in their bowl game and next season (except for Sept. 28th). I'll be at the game and excited to see GT take on Temple in person.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As a Temple fan, I wish GT and Collins all the luck in the world (except when they play us), but I can't say that I'm sad to see him go. If I were a GT fan I would PRAY that he doesn't bring the OC Dave Patenaude with him. That guy has no clue how to get the most out of his talent. He wants to run HIS system, and not the system that he has the talent to run. When he came to Temple he swore he would keep the same offensive mentality of running behind a fullback and despite having what Collins called "the best fullback in the country" last season in Nick Sharga, the fullback barely ever saw the field. Needless to say, the offense was less than spectacular. You cannot run the spread without the personnel to do it. Not to mention the offense snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock repeatedly with under 5 minutes to go and a lead.

Collins may be able to recruit, but the gameday coaching leaves A LOT to be desired. I hope you guys don't play Villanova or Buffalo next year, because their coaches had their way with Collins and his staff. At the end of the day, he's a used car salesman with a whole bunch of gimmicks and slogans (Money Downs, Swag Chalice, Above the Line, etc.), but very mediocre in the way of X's and O's. He's a slick talker who will convince kids to come to GT, but he's not going to outcoach anyone on gameday. He reminded me of Al Golden in that regard (although completely opposite in style). Great recruiter, good organizer, poor gameday coach.

Temple had 2 strong seasons in the AAC because Matt Rhule left him with a ton of talent that outclassed most of the other teams in the conference. Outside of UCF, USF, Cincinnati, and Houston, they were stronger, faster, and more athletic than every other team in the conference. They also didn't win this season until they finally started Anthony Russo at quarterback. (Something every Temple fan had called for since the beginning of last season) I don't follow ACC football very much at all, so I'm not sure where GT stands talent-wise in the conference, but unless you guys have superior talent, I don't see Collins putting you over the top and competing for a conference championship. He will do an OK job, keep you bowl eligible and relevant, but that's about it. Despite 2 decent seasons, I'm not sad to see him go, and I don't know of any other Temple fans that are either.

That being said, good luck to GT in their bowl game and next season (except for Sept. 28th). I'll be at the game and excited to see GT take on Temple in person.
Thanks for the message and welcome to the board.

I've highlighted things that terrify me. I hope you are wrong about most the things you said though =)

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Collins seems fine. His OC at Tenple is the one I am not confident in. But feel free to read into what I am saying some more.

Edit: Also, Temple def FEI was rank 27 in 2017 and 25 in 2018. So no fall off at all. YPG is such a meaningless stat. If total yards mattered than we'd have been declared winners of the USF game.
Temple off FEI improved from 2017 to 2018, but it was nowhere near good. 2017 rank 97. 2018 rank 57. Certainly an improvement even if they lost that starter you keep bringing up. Since Collins is a defensive minded coach I credit him more for his defense than offense, thus why I am not too worried.
Previous season to 2017 was 2016, but feel free to respond to my posts yet again without absorbing their content.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Previous season to 2017 was 2016, but feel free to respond to my posts yet again without absorbing their content.
So from 2016-2017 the FEI def did not change. That is a good indicator. The off FEI went from 46 to 97. Certainly a fall off but they also completely changed their offense, so how much was the QB and how much was the new scheme. Like I said, I blame the OC more for the offense, and that is where the team struggled, not their defense.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Haha

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day, he's a used car salesman with a whole bunch of gimmicks and slogans (Money Downs, Swag Chalice, Above the Line, etc.), but very mediocre in the way of X's and O's. He's a slick talker who will convince kids to come to GT, but he's not going to outcoach anyone on gameday.

He will do an OK job, keep you bowl eligible and relevant, but that's about it.
Sounds like 180 degree opposite of what we've had with the same results.

JacketsOfYellow

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for background.
CONTENT IS KING

The talking a recruiting game at Ala, miss st, and Florida is way easier then temple and gt.

As to Temple's recent success , do u credit it to Rhule? He seems to be getting Baylor on track.

Also like u, I think he wants to leavehere for a great job. Imagine hiring a new coach when he leaves after we are winning. That's a great problem

From what I gather GT is a job he really wanted. Temple was just a way of getting there. If he has success at GT over the next 2 years and that Florida State job opens up, could be a quick exit. That being said, not sure 2 years will be enough to fix things here. I think he wants Florida State the most or even Georgia but that would be a crazy flip from here. Not sure why there are Temple fans that think this is a lateral move or a waste of a move. I put it to them this way, if Temple went undefeated they go the same way as UCF, ranked #8 and headed to NY6 bowl. If GT goes undefeated and beats Clemons/FSU along the way, they go to the playoffs. That's the difference and isn't something that can be argued against.

Rhule had a lot to do with getting the players. Collins got 2 OL last recruiting class that bolstered the OL but everything else is Rhule. Like I said in the last post, he doesn't stay long enough for you to get an accurate judgement. Some of the coaches leftover were from Rhule (or before) as well. At the same time he added additional staff members new to Temple. I'd say it was 90% Rhule 10% Collins. There were only a few games both seasons where it appeared Temple players were truly outclassed. Generally they were bigger, faster, strong, which is part of the disappointment for some.

The team that went 8-4 this year (should be 10-2) and 7-1 in conference play with a sole loss to UCF is the same team that went 6-6 last year except they replaced 2 or 3 OL. They have 2 more DBs this year that will go to the NFL. Same with the DL. Roster is stacked which may be hard to bekieve for some here. What changed was the QB multiple times and the offensive philosophy. Took him 1.5 seasons to finally get it right. I would imagine that would be a similar timeline for here. In fact, I would pretty much expect that but it of course depends on who the OC is. But for now that's what I would expect.

Tl;dr Rhule is probably a better coach but given an adequate roster and assistant coaches Collins will also find success.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Tech fans have been spoiled by Johnson's in-game decision making. Johnson's clock management and play calling was incredible compared to what I see from a lot of other coaches. Collins has only been a HC for two years. I think there's going to be some growing pains in that aspect, but hopefully he improves as he goes.