Welcome Coach Collins!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This hire is really picking up momentum, time will tell but it looks like TStan got this one right ... Welcome Coach Collins !!
I think Georgia Tech will come to regret this hire very much. This is the best candidate that Tech could draw? The storied Georgia Tech? Of Heisman and Alexander and Dodd? Only two years as a head coach in a sub-tier conference? 11 jobs in 22 years? A lunging, slow offense that is about to be eaten alive at ACC speed? We fallen for the ouster of the spread option, a thin skinned coach, who won, for a seven-yard deep shotgun spread because, well, you know, everybody is doing that now. (And remember: it was Collins's defense that GT shredded in the Orange Bowl. I mean as in confetti shredded, and getting out of town before the bowl game was the best career decision he made.) I initially thought 6-8 wins is reasonable. I now think 4-6 in the ball park. Topped off by all indications from Philadelphia -- yeah, everybody hates you in Philadelphia -- that Collins was a cipher and really made no effort to be anything else. This was Stansbury's first major hire? He will have buyer's remorse sooner than later. Sorry, but a real disappointment to realize this was the best Georgia Tech could attract. (Nah, Whisenhunt was never more than a straw horse, a guy thrown in to lend some substance to the "hunt".) I hope I am wrong and I will be rooting every Saturday regardless.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Georgia Tech will come to regret this hire very much. This is the best candidate that Tech could draw? The storied Georgia Tech? Of Heisman and Alexander and Dodd? Only two years as a head coach in a sub-tier conference? 11 jobs in 22 years? A lunging, slow offense that is about to be eaten alive at ACC speed? We fallen for the ouster of the spread option, a thin skinned coach, who won, for a seven-yard deep shotgun spread because, well, you know, everybody is doing that now. (And remember: it was Collins's defense that GT shredded in the Orange Bowl. I mean as in confetti shredded, and getting out of town before the bowl game was the best career decision he made.) I initially thought 6-8 wins is reasonable. I now think 4-6 in the ball park. Topped off by all indications from Philadelphia -- yeah, everybody hates you in Philadelphia -- that Collins was a cipher and really made no effort to be anything else. This was Stansbury's first major hire? He will have buyer's remorse sooner than later. Sorry, but a real disappointment to realize this was the best Georgia Tech could attract. (Nah, Whisenhunt was never more than a straw horse, a guy thrown in to lend some substance to the "hunt".) I hope I am wrong and I will be rooting every Saturday regardless.
Bye

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Your name is fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

When people are complaining about you leaving it’s usually a good thing. If he made no mark there would be no chatter. While we can say Temple is a stepping stone, Collins views Tech as GOL viewed Notre Dame. I really don’t think he leaves a Temple so soon otherwise. It’s his dream job. I expect him to be here for a while. Our job is much better than many give it credit for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joeski088

Georgia Tech Fan
When people are complaining about you leaving it’s usually a good thing. If he made no mark there would be no chatter. While we can say Temple is a stepping stone, Collins views Tech as GOL viewed Notre Dame. I really don’t think he leaves a Temple so soon otherwise. It’s his dream job. I expect him to be here for a while. Our job is much better than many give it credit for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Who is complaining about him leaving? I'm a Temple fan and on the board where all of the hardcore Temple fans talk the nearly unanimous theme is "good riddance". Everyone knew he'd leave after 2 or 3 good years and none of us were ever sold on him to begin with. He's all hype and slogans. Total used care salesman. He underperformed for 2 years at Temple with the talent he was given by Matt Rhule. Talent that was far superior to most of the teams in the conference, and talent that was VASTLY superior to Villanova and Buffalo, who he lost to. Hopefully he can do better at GT for you guys, but as a Temple fan who has seen him in action for the past 2 seasons, consider me unimpressed.
P. S. If you have really good season tickets and sit down low on the sidelines like I did, you will quickly tire of the stupid MONEY DOWN signs obstructing your view on every single defensive 3rd and 4th down. Not like they are the most crucial plays in the game or anything, just block the view of your best season ticket holders. :(

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Idk if pro style offense and defense and recruiting the guys the factories want is going to work for Collins but if he thinks it will I’m here for it and will love it!

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited for the hire and just want to enjoy it without all the trolls coming out that want to crap on him. If he fails, there'll be time for criticism then. People who are b*tching because they wanted Monken or Neal Brown or rpo/spread option or don't like pro-style offense or think Paul Johnson isn't respected enough are wasting their time looking for reasons to criticize the dude. None of that grouching is going to change anything at this point. That was a dang impressive introduction in my book. He's got to do more than talk, but the talk was good.

Rod64

Georgia Tech Fan
Bye !!

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Who is complaining about him leaving? I'm a Temple fan and on the board where all of the hardcore Temple fans talk the nearly unanimous theme is "good riddance". Everyone knew he'd leave after 2 or 3 good years and none of us were ever sold on him to begin with. He's all hype and slogans. Total used care salesman. He underperformed for 2 years at Temple with the talent he was given by Matt Rhule. Talent that was far superior to most of the teams in the conference, and talent that was VASTLY superior to Villanova and Buffalo, who he lost to. Hopefully he can do better at GT for you guys, but as a Temple fan who has seen him in action for the past 2 seasons, consider me unimpressed.
P. S. If you have really good season tickets and sit down low on the sidelines like I did, you will quickly tire of the stupid MONEY DOWN signs obstructing your view on every single defensive 3rd and 4th down. Not like they are the most crucial plays in the game or anything, just block the view of your best season ticket holders. :(

Geoff Collins holds the best record in his first 2 years than any other coach is Temples history, including Rhule. But please go on ...

joeski088

Georgia Tech Fan
Geoff Collins holds the best record in his first 2 years than any other coach is Temples history, including Rhule. But please go on ...

He is also the only Temple coach to ever inherit a team coming off of a league championship. Have you ever seen the history of Temple football? It's dreadful. Prior to 2009, they had only 2 bowl appearances in their entire HISTORY. You can't compare him to anyone else in Temple history, because nobody else ever took over the reigns of a decent team. Rhule was left an extremely young team of all freshman and sophomores with very little experience. Collins inherited a team more loaded with talent than any team in Temple history. He was given a defense with at least 6 guys who are NFL caliber. 4 are already in the league this year (Julian Taylor, Jacob Martin, Sharif Finch, Sean Chandler). The other 2 (Michael Dogbe and Delvon Randall) are almost certain to be drafted this year. That's not to mention the guys on offense he inherited (Keith Kirkwood who is now catching passes from Drew Brees, Ryquell Armstead who was first team all-conference running back, and Isaiah Wright, the conference special teams player of the year). All Matt Rhule guys. A blind squirrel could have coached that team to as many victories as Collins. Losses to Villanova and Buffalo (both at home) this season were inexcusable. The year before they barely beat Villanova 16-13 (again at home). By the way, Villanova is FCS. They also lost (at home) to UConn in 2017. Yes, you read that right, UConn!!! Add in another loss to Army that was 100% caused by coaching. Did he do an OK job? Yes. An impressive job? No. Nearly every Temple fan feels that he underperformed with the talent he was given.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
He is also the only Temple coach to ever inherit a team coming off of a league championship. Have you ever seen the history of Temple football? It's dreadful. Prior to 2009, they had only 2 bowl appearances in their entire HISTORY. You can't compare him to anyone else in Temple history, because nobody else ever took over the reigns of a decent team. Rhule was left an extremely young team of all freshman and sophomores with very little experience. Collins inherited a team more loaded with talent than any team in Temple history. He was given a defense with at least 6 guys who are NFL caliber. 4 are already in the league this year (Julian Taylor, Jacob Martin, Sharif Finch, Sean Chandler). The other 2 (Michael Dogbe and Delvon Randall) are almost certain to be drafted this year. That's not to mention the guys on offense he inherited (Keith Kirkwood who is now catching passes from Drew Brees, Ryquell Armstead who was first team all-conference running back, and Isaiah Wright, the conference special teams player of the year). All Matt Rhule guys. A blind squirrel could have coached that team to as many victories as Collins. Losses to Villanova and Buffalo (both at home) this season were inexcusable. The year before they barely beat Villanova 16-13 (again at home). By the way, Villanova is FCS. They also lost (at home) to UConn in 2017. Yes, you read that right, UConn!!! Add in another loss to Army that was 100% caused by coaching. Did he do an OK job? Yes. An impressive job? No. Nearly every Temple fan feels that he underperformed with the talent he was given.
Temple played in the first Sugar Bowl in 1935 against Tulane

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Lmao goodbye

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Geoff Collins can be a good coach while Matt Rhine can be an amazing coach. I mean look at Baylor, dude inherited a team that almost had a 100% roster turnover and essentially lost the entire recrtuiting class the year before he came in. They are bowl eligible this year. That's incredible. Dude is incredibly talented at coaching and deraeves recognition. He was #2 candidate in a coaching search and wasn't hired until the second go around after Addazio left. And he stuck around and turned an ok roster into a good one. Game time decisions are definitely a weakness to an inexperienced coach, and GC will struggle there. His recruiting ties are in the southeast, and recruiting to a school in the northeast with 0 connections will Be hard. He couldn't keep a lot of assistants he had connections with as they also wouldn't be have recruiting ties in the northeast. Overall, it wasn't super great fit. Hell, Georgia tech was literally the furthest north he had coached before Temple. Now that he's back in the south, a lot of those weaknesses can be covered, by using coaches he has past experience with and using connections to schools that have interest in players playing in their region. Do you think the 400% increase in players from Georgia on tehmples roster was a coincide while Collins was there? Recruiting is regional (not as much as it was 10 years ago!). His QB decisions will leave something to consider, but a lot of his weaknesses at temple will be hidden simply due to geoegraphy. Game time decisions are another story. I saw a tweet posted by a former temple player that said the losses were almost single handed lyn caused by locker room issues due to temple being a stepping stone job for coaches, and the coaching staff turnover was starting to get to them. I can't find it unfortunately, but it's somewhere in on every of these threads.

TL;DR Collins has his weaknesses that made him struggle relative to an Elite coach like Rhule, but some of those issues will be fixed by geographic limitations that won't hurt him as much.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I do and they are in row 6 and we stand and yell on 3rd downs.

Guess u owls like your owls nest quiet.

Wonder why Rhule went to Baylor? Hoo hoo hoo. Wonder why u lost another good coach. Can u say going down.

We will soon find out if he can improve recruiting at gt. It could be very good.

We will come and yell as we kick your axx next year.

joeski088

Georgia Tech Fan
Geoff Collins can be a good coach while Matt Rhine can be an amazing coach. I mean look at Baylor, dude inherited a team that almost had a 100% roster turnover and essentially lost the entire recrtuiting class the year before he came in. They are bowl eligible this year. That's incredible. Dude is incredibly talented at coaching and deraeves recognition. He was #2 candidate in a coaching search and wasn't hired until the second go around after Addazio left. And he stuck around and turned an ok roster into a good one. Game time decisions are definitely a weakness to an inexperienced coach, and GC will struggle there. His recruiting ties are in the southeast, and recruiting to a school in the northeast with 0 connections will Be hard. He couldn't keep a lot of assistants he had connections with as they also wouldn't be have recruiting ties in the northeast. Overall, it wasn't super great fit. Hell, Georgia tech was literally the furthest north he had coached before Temple. Now that he's back in the south, a lot of those weaknesses can be covered, by using coaches he has past experience with and using connections to schools that have interest in players playing in their region. Do you think the 400% increase in players from Georgia on tehmples roster was a coincide while Collins was there? Recruiting is regional (not as much as it was 10 years ago!). His QB decisions will leave something to consider, but a lot of his weaknesses at temple will be hidden simply due to geoegraphy. Game time decisions are another story. I saw a tweet posted by a former temple player that said the losses were almost single handed lyn caused by locker room issues due to temple being a stepping stone job for coaches, and the coaching staff turnover was starting to get to them. I can't find it unfortunately, but it's somewhere in on every of these threads.

TL;DR Collins has his weaknesses that made him struggle relative to an Elite coach like Rhule, but some of those issues will be fixed by geographic limitations that won't hurt him as much.

Yeah, like I said, hopefully he does better for you guys at GT than he did at Temple. I'm just pointing out the fact that most Temple fans aren't at all sorry to see him leave. We knew he wasn't going to stay and we weren't overly impressed with him anyway. Now that changes if we get a new coach who is completely incompetent, but for now, we're hoping we can get another good coach for the next 2-3 years. Our conference has become the breeding ground for P5 coaches, so the tops teams in the American Athletic Conference know they are only getting a coach for 2-3 years. If they stay longer than that it's because the team isn't winning. In our conference, teams like UCF, USF, Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston are never going to be able to keep coaches. Our top coaches only make 2.5 million per year, so we can't compete with the P5 for salary.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, like I said, hopefully he does better for you guys at GT than he did at Temple. I'm just pointing out the fact that most Temple fans aren't at all sorry to see him leave. We knew he wasn't going to stay and we weren't overly impressed with him anyway. Now that changes if we get a new coach who is completely incompetent, but for now, we're hoping we can get another good coach for the next 2-3 years. Our conference has become the breeding ground for P5 coaches, so the tops teams in the American Athletic Conference know they are only getting a coach for 2-3 years. If they stay longer than that it's because the team isn't winning. In our conference, teams like UCF, USF, Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston are never going to be able to keep coaches. Our top coaches only make 2.5 million per year, so we can't compete with the P5 for salary.
I think Temple's next head coach will probably be Matt Canada