Welcome Coach Collins!

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Georgia Tech will come to regret this hire very much. This is the best candidate that Tech could draw? The storied Georgia Tech? Of Heisman and Alexander and Dodd? Only two years as a head coach in a sub-tier conference? 11 jobs in 22 years? A lunging, slow offense that is about to be eaten alive at ACC speed? We fallen for the ouster of the spread option, a thin skinned coach, who won, for a seven-yard deep shotgun spread because, well, you know, everybody is doing that now. (And remember: it was Collins's defense that GT shredded in the Orange Bowl. I mean as in confetti shredded, and getting out of town before the bowl game was the best career decision he made.) I initially thought 6-8 wins is reasonable. I now think 4-6 in the ball park. Topped off by all indications from Philadelphia -- yeah, everybody hates you in Philadelphia -- that Collins was a cipher and really made no effort to be anything else. This was Stansbury's first major hire? He will have buyer's remorse sooner than later. Sorry, but a real disappointment to realize this was the best Georgia Tech could attract. (Nah, Whisenhunt was never more than a straw horse, a guy thrown in to lend some substance to the "hunt".) I hope I am wrong and I will be rooting every Saturday regardless.

joeski088

Georgia Tech Fan
I do and they are in row 6 and we stand and yell on 3rd downs.

Guess u owls like your owls nest quiet.

Wonder why Rhule went to Baylor? Hoo hoo hoo. Wonder why u lost another good coach. Can u say going down.

We will soon find out if he can improve recruiting at gt. It could be very good.

We will come and yell as we kick your axx next year.

We do stand and yell. You still can't see over the MONEY DOWN signs. He has kids that hold them up high and jump up and down with them. Unless your stands sit up higher than the ones at the Linc, enjoy your obstructed view. Rhule went to Baylor because he got 8 million per year, a deal Temple simply can't match due to their conference. Same reason Collins is going to GT, money. A G6 school simply can't pay what a P5 school can, it's simple economics. Rhule got a 400% pay increase, who is going to turn that down? It has nothing to do with the school itself. Who says we are going down? We still have plenty of talent on the roster. We'll be on our 5th coach in the last 9 years, as a G6 school, that means you are winning. If nobody wants your coach, it means your team is losing games. Such is life in a G6 conference. If you have success, your coach leaves for a P5 school. Collins very well could improve recruiting, but he will definitely not be as good of a gameday coach as Johnson, so it will be a tradeoff.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We do stand and yell. You still can't see over the MONEY DOWN signs. He has kids that hold them up high and jump up and down with them. Unless your stands sit up higher than the ones at the Linc, enjoy your obstructed view. Rhule went to Baylor because he got 8 million per year, a deal Temple simply can't match due to their conference. Same reason Collins is going to GT, money. A G6 school simply can't pay what a P5 school can, it's simple economics. Rhule got a 400% pay increase, who is going to turn that down? It has nothing to do with the school itself. Who says we are going down? We still have plenty of talent on the roster. We'll be on our 5th coach in the last 9 years, as a G6 school, that means you are winning. If nobody wants your coach, it means your team is losing games. Such is life in a G6 conference. If you have success, your coach leaves for a P5 school. Collins very well could improve recruiting, but he will definitely not be as good of a gameday coach as Johnson, so it will be a tradeoff.
Alright we get it. You done?

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks for the info, Joeski and other Temple fans. I usually root for ACC teams in bowl games, but I’ll root for you against Duke this year.

I think (and hope) Collins can end up like Mack Brown was when he was young and made UNC good, recruiting great players and having a great staff. Hopefully he can get a good OC and position coaches (I hated watching missed perimeter blocks in Temple highlights).

Our players fit a spread scheme better than yours did. It didn’t look like your players took to it well in early games, but I’ve only looked at a few videos.

I think UCF is getting some Duke basketball style favoritism from your refs. Hope you can overcome that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Few are as good on gameday as cpj. I think he's elite in that respect. And not just in the college ranks. Clock management, adjustments, risk/reward scenarios, he was excellent in all of that. Not getting enough good players to execute his gameday calls was his downfall.

joeski088

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for the info, Joeski and other Temple fans. I usually root for ACC teams in bowl games, but I’ll root for you against Duke this year.

I think (and hope) Collins can end up like Mack Brown was when he was young and made UNC good, recruiting great players and having a great staff. Hopefully he can get a good OC and position coaches (I hated watching missed perimeter blocks in Temple highlights).

Our players fit a spread scheme better than yours did. It didn’t look like your players took to it well in early games, but I’ve only looked at a few videos.

I think UCF is getting some Duke basketball style favoritism from your refs. Hope you can overcome that.

Thanks, I hope for your sake that Collins can get a great staff. I think that was his major issue at Temple, his OC and both DC's were completely bush league. They had very little experience at the major college level and were in over their heads. The position coaches were better, particularly the WR coach, Stan Hixon. If he comes with Collins, that would be very good for you guys IMO. Maybe he can get a higher level of coordinator at an ACC school. At Temple he just went out and hired all of his coaching buddies that he had met over the years. He was loyal to a fault to the OC, who clearly was not a good fit, but they have been friends for years, and I think Collins just couldn't bring himself to fire the guy. After the nationally televised game where they got blown out by USF in 2017 and he got into it with the WR's on the sideline, he was banished to coach from up in the box for the rest of his tenure. I think that may have been more the AD's call than Collins' call though.

You are definitely right about UCF! They got some major favoritism from the AAC refs this season, but I get it. If they remained undefeated, they go to a NY6 bowl and give the conference a lot of good exposure. The AAC keeps pushing the Power 6 theme, and that argument holds a lot more weight if they have a team in the top 10 every year, who is repeatedly beating the top P5 schools in a NY6 bowl game. A Power 6 will never happen, but I give the commissioner credit for trying.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Your name is fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. When the AD goes out looking for an innovator, somebody who recognizes GT's place in the scheme of things and what it needs to do to compete, and comes back with a cursory search that nets a guy who will run ... an NFL offense, then yep. That was a pick from the paper, as Washington bureaucrats call it. Then he announces already that he can't win with this talent so it will take seven years ....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When people are complaining about you leaving it’s usually a good thing. If he made no mark there would be no chatter. While we can say Temple is a stepping stone, Collins views Tech as GOL viewed Notre Dame. I really don’t think he leaves a Temple so soon otherwise. It’s his dream job. I expect him to be here for a while. Our job is much better than many give it credit for.

The road to the exit is paved with claims of "my dream job." Until the next one. (I don't fault him for saying it. I fault anybody for believing him.)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yep. When the AD goes out looking for an innovator, somebody who recognizes GT's place in the scheme of things and what it needs to do to compete, and comes back with a cursory search that nets a guy who will run ... an NFL offense, then yep. That was a pick from the paper, as Washington bureaucrats call it. Then he announces already that he can't win with this talent so it will take seven years ....

Skeptic: I sure hope his statement about running an NFL offense is just that, a statement for perspective recruits to "hear". No way he can run a smash mouth system on O right now, and I doubt for a few years. It has to have lots of option principles, and it must not be the "run of the mill" version that everyone is trying to copy from Clemson right now.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some quotes I found that are interesting to think about in our situation:

If I advocate cautious optimism it is not because I do not have faith in the future but because I do not want to encourage blind faith.

Like pride, blind optimism may go before a fall.

I’m not interested in blind optimism, but I’m very interested in optimism that is hard-won, that takes on darkness and then says, ‘This is not enough.’ But it takes time, more time than we can sometimes imagine, to get there. And sometimes we don’t.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really wanted Monken. I thought Monken could slide right in and bring some innovation to what we were already doing. But I can see Collins succeeding and I'll be pulling hard for him.

He has a history of pulling in big talent to Tech. He is on the right track in recruiting with a wider net. He will need to be given the manpower to do that.

I will be hoping like hell for a great OC. I don't know if Friedgen's offense had a name. I just know he mixed pass and run and was amazing at keeping defenses clueless about his next call. If Collins can up the talent level and find a great OC to make use of it, then I don't think it makes all that much difference what style of offense we run. I hope Stansbury will have a lot of influence and make sure he doesn't hire a dud. And make sure he is given the salary money if that is an issue. His career too will be dependant on Collins' success, so I suspect he will not just stand by.

Since no one can know the future, I'm gonna try to be optimistic and dream big. What does it cost me? If it ends up being a mistake, I will not be any more or less happy just because I could say I saw it coming.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I really wanted Monken. I thought Monken could slide right in and bring some innovation to what we were already doing. But I can see Collins succeeding and I'll be pulling hard for him.

He has a history of pulling in big talent to Tech. He is on the right track in recruiting with a wider net. He will need to be given the manpower to do that.

I will be hoping like hell for a great OC. I don't know if Friedgen's offense had a name. I just know he mixed pass and run and was amazing at keeping defenses clueless about his next call. If Collins can up the talent level and find a great OC to make use of it, then I don't think it makes all that much difference what style of offense we run. I hope Stansbury will have a lot of influence and make sure he doesn't hire a dud. And make sure he is given the salary money if that is an issue. His career too will be dependant on Collins' success, so I suspect he will not just stand by.

Since no one can know the future, I'm gonna try to be optimistic and dream big. What does it cost me? If it ends up being a mistake, I will not be any more or less happy just because I could say I saw it coming.
I am with you. I hope he wins, the bigger the better. But a caution: the tale of him recruiting all that talent .... I would like to hear from somebody who was recruiting for Tech at the time. As Twain wrote, if you put all your eggs in one basket, watch that basket.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
More good stuff here:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...h-coach-geoff-collins/tfOCKqTr9YoUsIsVEfvUCO/

Collins took plenty from his time from working for coach Nick Saban. Two lessons that he mentioned in an interview with Sports Illustrated in 2017:

“The opponent and scoreboard don’t matter. He talks about that all the time. You have to get better at what you do on a daily basis, doesn’t matter what your role is. Accept personal responsibility for your own self-determination. He says that all the time. And so every day, you come into this building as a player or a coach, you have a responsibility to do your job and to accept that responsibility and to be driven and motivated to do it.”

Collins said that O’Leary taught him toughness, work ethic and attention to detail.

He told a story about how he pestered O’Leary to let him recruit, telling him he could do it. O’Leary gave him permission during Collins’ second year as a GA. Collins said that O’Leary told him that the coaching staff focused its attention on six primary states, and that he could have the other 44.

“And I took that and I ran with it,” Collins said.
Yep, that’s CGO. He showed me his Gameday schedule one day. It was down to the minute. Don’t be late for the bus!! Or you will be walking. And that schedule works on Lombardi time.