Week 5 #GTvsPITT Media

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I liked what Key said, but want to circle back to Cabrera for a moment.

I watched Cabrera’s remarks carefully because I wanted to get a sense of not just what he said, which we’ve seen transcribed, but how he said it. A couple of key takeaways:

Although he was reading prepared remarks, he looked straight ahead and spoke forcefully when he said “I am committed to doing (brief pause) anything that needs to happen…”

Also, towards the end of his remarks he made another point of citing his and his family’s GT connections and said emphatically “This is personal to me.”

Talk is cheap, but he not only said the right things, he did a pretty good job of selling them to the audience.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I agree entirely and think it was time to move on but I can't help to feel terrible for TStan..

He bleeds white and gold as much as any of us and just lost a shot at his dream job. Something he has been working for for decades.. It just stinks. I really wish things worked out better for him and that he didn't tie himself to CGC

Agreed. Stinks. Wish he would've been moved to a different role, maybe at the Alumni Association or something. Not 100% sure he was the right fit for AD. Just not a great communicator, the loan thing with Oregon State, doing the coaching search on his own. A few red flags there. Maybe he was best suited for an Associate AD job at GT or a lower level AD job like UCF or Oregon State and this was too much or coming home and trying to do it on his own was too much. Stinks personally for him though. Seems like a good guy.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I liked what Key said, but want to circle back to Cabrera for a moment.

I watched Cabrera’s remarks carefully because I wanted to get a sense of not just what he said, which we’ve seen transcribed, but how he said it. A couple of key takeaways:

Although he was reading prepared remarks, he looked straight ahead and spoke forcefully when he said “I am committed to doing (brief pause) anything that needs to happen…”

Also, towards the end of his remarks he made another point of citing his and his family’s GT connections and said emphatically “This is personal to me.”

Talk is cheap, but he not only said the right things, he did a pretty good job of selling them to the audience.

I was sort of confused at first. So used to just seeing the bill of our old coach's hat as all he did was look down when he was doing press conferences. It was refreshing..... ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I personally like coach Key, and hope he turns things around. Will see how things play out, but ill be pulling for him.

At the end of the day, he's one of ours: played for us, graduated from here, coached here, and came back to coach here again.

You want to see him succeed because that means GT is succeeding. I'm all in for him right now because I want to see GT win and our players succeed.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I stopped some years back giving to GT athletics mostly(not totally) because of what I perceived as no meaningful commitment by the school itself to the athletic program. I am for the first time interested in giving again if I see the school make a real and meaningful commitment as the Pres indicated in his words, but I will wait and see how that all translates out.
The one thing I like about CBK is he is hungry. Will be interesting to watch how the team plays over the next 8 games. As most on here I'm hopeful it works well for the players, coaches and therefore fans. We shall see.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Very impressed by what Key had to say. He just sounds like a football coach. Without being snide about it, he made it clear he's not continuing CGC's silly stuff.

All else equal, he's not on my wishlist for permanent head coach. But I'll be pleased as punch if he pulls a 'Snitker' and does enough to show he's the best choice. I'll be pulling hard for him and the team the rest of this year.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Got more to add from what I just was texted. Expect practices to be a lot higher intensity and physical under Key. A lot less protecting and babying of the players, a lot more accountability, and a lot less babying and protecting the players who consistently don’t perform and and screw up. Key isn’t going to put up with the same things Collins did. He’s going to play the players who give us the best chance to win and the players will have to be a lot more accountable for their errors.
Hoping I don't get dinged for this....CBK doing what a coach should do!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish Brent the best. He has a tough job and I hope he succeeds in getting things turned around. My expectations are low, to be honest. Based on what he has accomplished as our offensive line coach for 3 plus years I just don't feel he will be able to have a big impact. I hope I am dead wrong.

Go Jackets!