We Beat NCState

Deleted member 2897

I will say watching warmups I thought NCST was going to win by 20 last night. They came out in warmups and were hitting everything they shot. i remember turning to my buddy that came to the game with me and said i hope they are getting all their good shots out. With less than 2 min left in the game they were shooting 67% from three - the 1-5 finish dropped them to 50%.
GT meanwhile wasn't hitting much of anything in warmups.

My gut tells me (don't have the time to look) that 8 of our last 10 opponents shot 50% or better from 3PT when playing us. Yes part of that is playing good defense, but if you watch some of their shots, Clemson's, etc., our guys are literally standing on the 3PT line and their guys shoot from 6-7 feet behind it. You shouldn't be able to make 50% from there in a shooting drill in practice.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
This is something that we will just have to disagree on.
i don't think Moses should be shooting threes, ever, right now. Sorry but 2 for 27 should drive that home. The fact that his shot does not look good either just further supports it. He is not a good shooter, period.
i don't care what his HS % was, that's irrelevant and I wonder if its not true because his form does not suggest a 40% shooter. He releases it with a funny side shot. it never looks like it is going in when it comes off his hand.
if i was the coach and he took a three i would shackle him to the bench. Every time he takes a three it is a win or the defense. They are daring him to take it and he obliges way too easily.
As I said, he played hard and i think he was getting playing time because he made some nice defensive plays close to the basket, but he has alot of growing to do. I don't see him as a major contributor until his JR yr, he needs alot of skill work. Anything we get from Moses before his JR year is just gravy.
He also moves well without the ball, though he sometimes is not really in a good scoring position.
Love his hustle. Don't really like his skill set right now.

It's funny as you mention others being passive and that is very true. I think Tad and Josh actually go well together in that sense. Tad tends to be very aggressive from the outset while Josh tends to ease more into the game. So you often see Tad scoring more early and Josh scoring more late.

I will say watching warmups I thought NCST was going to win by 20 last night. They came out in warmups and were hitting everything they shot. i remember turning to my buddy that came to the game with me and said i hope they are getting all their good shots out. With less than 2 min left in the game they were shooting 67% from three - the 1-5 finish dropped them to 50%.
My buddy made a nice point that at times GT looks like they are in their first practice together, not at the end of a season, a result have having to play a very different group of players then was expected at the beginning of the season. This group right now simply has little experience playing and practicing together.
Moses alot of athletic gifts but has ALOT of work to do on the skill part of the game. Especially shooting. His overall fg % has to be terrible. And needs to work on his body language. But no denying he has the body and athleticism so thats a good start. They should let me fix his shot over the off season I would have him right. Believe dat

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Dude my main take away from this whole thread is I like business about ColeBlooded.biz

Especially if you onomatopoeia the heck outta it and make it kind sound like buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I will concede that he is our best option since JA went down. Other than that he is a slashing wing who makes bad decisions pretty frequently most of his career.

He is also a notoriously poor free throw shooter

slugboy

Staff member
I did watch all but the first 3-5 minutes of the game. Tough play. Liked Alston's play. Some dumb plays, but enough to give a little hope. On offense, I thought we looked really good, with some hard cuts and some hard passes. The players were spread out and there was room to play.
I'd like to see us get some wins in the ACC tournament. It can happen. Let's knock a couple of people out.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Heh. Every time I watched #ColeBlooded.biz he was hitting somebody. He somehow twisted their pg's arm forcing him out. Then, when the dude came back, #ColeBlooded.biz whacked the same dude upside the head to the point where the guy stopped mid-play and appeared to be a little dazed. He followed that up with an epic nut-shot on that weird looking bearded guard they have.

I loved it.

I think it's more him being goofy than him being dirty but I can see where they could be mad about it.

Oh well, @ChasonBaller , tell your boy to never not be ... Cole .... Blooded ........ .biz
Isn't that what "high motor" "high IQ" "gym rat" players do? :cool:
Without a doubt he knows how to get under your skin, but I would say most of the time its 95% just moving goofy, 5% pissed off.

I should add though, when it is coming from an angry place, watch out. I've been popped a couple times on rebounds and his elbow felt like a sword was slicing my face like the game fruit ninja. Not fun, I feel for scrappy doo on NC State lol

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Isn't that what "high motor" "high IQ" "gym rat" players do? :cool:
Without a doubt he knows how to get under your skin, but I would say most of the time its 95% just moving goofy, 5% pissed off.

Thanks, O-dub.

Those percentages do not compute. The young man is clearly a ColeBlooded killah and I'll not hear another word to the contrary.

#kg_4_Pres_2020

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
i don't think Moses should be shooting threes, ever, right now. Sorry but 2 for 27 should drive that home. The fact that his shot does not look good either just further supports it. He is not a good shooter, period.
i don't care what his HS % was, that's irrelevant and I wonder if its not true because his form does not suggest a 40% shooter. He releases it with a funny side shot. it never looks like it is going in when it comes off his hand.
if i was the coach and he took a three i would shackle him to the bench. Every time he takes a three it is a win or the defense. They are daring him to take it and he obliges way too easily.

I agree he shouldn't be taking many 3 but with the way the offense is being run right now he has to take some occasionally. It's the way the 4 spot is being designed in what we do. If he just refuses to take any then teams will completely ignore him there and it'll mess things up. Willingness to shoot does have it's own effects. However, I'd more agree with you if it looks like he was just hunting 3s, like Haywood was towards then end of his run. But he isn't. There were several times last night where he went inside off the dribble and made things happen. Once led to an easy putback for Cole, and there should have been a second. Another time he had the right idea on Lammer (I think) cutting but put too much on the pass (ironically he was on the other end of that situation earlier in the game). He also had a couple of good hard cuts but couldn't handle the passes (or were bad passes). To me he showed the knowledge that he had to take the threes he took because it's what his spot in the offense needs to be able to do, but also the knowledge that if he's not hitting them he needs to try and be an impact on that end in another way. Also, the thing about this team is that last night was pretty much the first time the big 3 played that well. If all 3 aren't on we have a very poor chance of winning especially once Jose went down. Wright seems to understand what the team needs of him even if he isn't in a position to do it, whereas both Alston and Cole often times seem content to just play not to make mistakes and not try to make things happen even if the team needs them to. That is especially true of Alston, and frustrating beyond belief to see from an upperclassman. If O, Tad, and Ben are clicking then fine, but if they aren't, and often even if they are, we're going to need someone else to step up and based on mentality that pretty much leaves either AD or Wright. It shouldn't be Wright. It should be Alston. But Alston doesn't recognize that and Wright does.

Also his shot is a direct result of him rushing things. You should care about his highschool numbers because they reflect a different form. He's leaving his elbow out which creates that look that you see. He'll need to get it corrected and I think he will, because as the game slows down for him he'll stop rushing and he'll get back to the form he had in highschool. That's especially true for a guy who is growing into his frame, because he doesn't have the years of muscle memory with that body to compensate.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
The last few games have been fun to watch, reminds me of last years team. Lammers getting to play the 5 again has made a huge difference IMO. Hopefully we can pull of a few upsets next week, I think we have it in us!!

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
As I said, he played hard and i think he was getting playing time because he made some nice defensive plays close to the basket, but he has alot of growing to do. I don't see him as a major contributor until his JR yr, he needs alot of skill work. Anything we get from Moses before his JR year is just gravy.
He also moves well without the ball, though he sometimes is not really in a good scoring position.

It's funny as you mention others being passive and that is very true. I think Tad and Josh actually go well together in that sense. Tad tends to be very aggressive from the outset while Josh tends to ease more into the game. So you often see Tad scoring more early and Josh scoring more late.

My buddy made a nice point that at times GT looks like they are in their first practice together, not at the end of a season, a result have having to play a very different group of players then was expected at the beginning of the season. This group right now simply has little experience playing and practicing together.
I have to agree with Red on this one. Defenses are daring Wright to shoot from outside right now (I would too if I were them)... and he's taking the bait/shots way too easily. I have no problem if the shot clock is down to 5 or less and he's got it. Of the three's he shot last night, the only one I thought he should have shot was one in the first half where someone penetrated under basket and kicked to him in the corner ... wide open and in the flow of the offense -anyone on the team should have shot that one.

His strength on offense (at this stage) is crashing the offensive boards and driving to the basket (even though he missed some, he made strong aggressive moves to basket which you want. Defenses are playing him more honest than they did AD when he was playing out there, but still they want him to shoot .... 2 for 27 is the only number you need to know. CJP says he can make that shot, and hopefully will work hard on it over offseason and shoot 30 percent+ next year. Against UVA and again last night he made some good decisions to drive to basket on baseline.

He does some things good already - moves well without ball in particular which is hard to team. Decision making as pace of play speeds up (as it did last night) is concern for him and Cole ... and to degree all our guards that we have left.

Defensively, he does got to the boards to rebound, and runs floor great ... but loses man on defense (not unusual for freshman) and does not block out very well and struggles guarding players quicker than him (never had to before this year probably) ... His man got several offennsive rebounds last night because he just went to board and State player (Dorn, Abu) went around him ... got him yanked once. By comparison, I commented to wife on a play Lammers made in second half .... we site behind visitor bench ... Yurtseven shot from corner, missed, and Lammers blocked him out 10-12 feet from basket and got the rebound.

I think Wright has more upside potential than Cole does long term, but Cole is more ready right now - neither should be playing 20+ minutes in ACC game this year ... but CJP made it clear he was not expecting big things from either until their Junior year ... I do see effort and improvement.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shooting 40% in HS does not make you a good shooter if who you played against is mostly crap like Moses played against - he was in an extremely weak league.
I didn't see any high school film (there wasn't much available) that showed him shooting the ball with proper form or with good effect.
i simply don't think he is a good shooter. Flat out, I think he is a bad shooter, worse than Tad. I'd put him on a level with Justin Moore, maybe worse than Justin.

i love when he cuts to the basket. You have to know what you can do and not do and play to your strengths.
Every time he takes a three that is a wasted offensive possession and on a team that struggles to score you simply have to limit those.

i think you are wrong in your evaluation of him as a shooter. i don't think his form is bad because he is rushing shots. i think his form is bad because his form is bad. His form looks the same whether he has to shoot quickly or whether he has all day to shoot. Unless his shooting form is re-worked I don't think he will ever shoot over 20% from three,

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You don’t have to look much further than Moses’s form to know why he’s struggling. I said early on that you will see his mechanics re-worked. He has a severe chicken wing going. If he tucks that in and makes his release point higher he will be far better off. It will also make it more difficult to block given his height.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck

So I agree with you that he should stop shooting 3s but going into the game overall his field goal percentage wasn't demeaning. He has a skill set that no other forward has, and what's that you ask? He can take guys off the dribble and get to the basket as we saw last night. He didn't get his drives to the basket to fall last night but how he was able to slash to the rim was amazing. Once he realizes his unique ability to get to the basket and uses that to muster up so confidence this kid is going to be amazing. Yesterday was definitely a cold spell pretty sure it was a lot of self imposed pressure to go out and destroy his home town team. His defense was impeccable, he honestly guarded 1-5. It only takes one game to get some confidence. This kid definitely has what it takes.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree he shouldn't be taking many 3 but with the way the offense is being run right now he has to take some occasionally. It's the way the 4 spot is being designed in what we do. If he just refuses to take any then teams will completely ignore him there and it'll mess things up. Willingness to shoot does have it's own effects. However, I'd more agree with you if it looks like he was just hunting 3s, like Haywood was towards then end of his run. But he isn't. There were several times last night where he went inside off the dribble and made things happen. Once led to an easy putback for Cole, and there should have been a second. Another time he had the right idea on Lammer (I think) cutting but put too much on the pass (ironically he was on the other end of that situation earlier in the game). He also had a couple of good hard cuts but couldn't handle the passes (or were bad passes). To me he showed the knowledge that he had to take the threes he took because it's what his spot in the offense needs to be able to do, but also the knowledge that if he's not hitting them he needs to try and be an impact on that end in another way. Also, the thing about this team is that last night was pretty much the first time the big 3 played that well. If all 3 aren't on we have a very poor chance of winning especially once Jose went down. Wright seems to understand what the team needs of him even if he isn't in a position to do it, whereas both Alston and Cole often times seem content to just play not to make mistakes and not try to make things happen even if the team needs them to. That is especially true of Alston, and frustrating beyond belief to see from an upperclassman. If O, Tad, and Ben are clicking then fine, but if they aren't, and often even if they are, we're going to need someone else to step up and based on mentality that pretty much leaves either AD or Wright. It shouldn't be Wright. It should be Alston. But Alston doesn't recognize that and Wright does.

Also his shot is a direct result of him rushing things. You should care about his highschool numbers because they reflect a different form. He's leaving his elbow out which creates that look that you see. He'll need to get it corrected and I think he will, because as the game slows down for him he'll stop rushing and he'll get back to the form he had in highschool. That's especially true for a guy who is growing into his frame, because he doesn't have the years of muscle memory with that body to compensate.
Love this