We Beat NCState

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Great to see the guys still fighting.
The biggest coaching move of the game was replacing Moses with Alston at the 12 min TV TO in the second half. If GT had continued to play Moses and Evan together they would have lost. They needed three guards in given how NCST plays defense.
Moses played very hard, but very poorly (1-9 FG, 4 TO). He has to stop shooting so much. When you are 2-27 from three please take a hint and stop taking them. if I was the coach i would pull him the first time he takes a three make or miss. His shot never looks like it is going in when it leaves his hand. It's sort of a funny side shot.

This may have been the best all around game TJ has played in his career at GT. Played under control, took care of the ball against pressure, even played defense.
Lammers played the beest i've seen him since UCLA and he had to play against a legit big.

NCST should have been throwing the ball into Yurtseven every time on offense.

I was amazed GT was down only 7 at the half given the poor FT shooting and all the TO (11 officially but it felt like more). NCST should have been up 12-15 pts.
GT took care of the ball in the second half and got consistently good looks in the halfcourt. NCST's half court defense is not very good.
It also hurt NCST for Johnson to get hurt and not play as much. GT had a hard time staying in front of him on defense and he was consistently able to penetrate deep into the defense.

Tough turnaround for GT now (so i'm really glad we won). Great scheduling with GT getting an 8 pm game Thur and a noon Sat (barely 36 hours) while Wake has had the whole week off.

This.

They were up 9 when he went down. We immediately cut it to 1 I think, he came back and they pushed it back to 7 but he wasnt the same. They roll with him, he is their catalyst. Without him Al Freeman just acts like a high school kids whose parents are out of town for the weekend.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Good reply! I agree on Moses. He misses his first shot and then not handling the ball very well. He looks like he is so frustrated and just doesn't have any confidence. But all other players in the second half got things going and just played great basketball!! Tad looked like an all american!!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Moses played very hard, but very poorly (1-9 FG, 4 TO). He has to stop shooting so much. When you are 2-27 from three please take a hint and stop taking them. if I was the coach i would pull him the first time he takes a three make or miss. His shot never looks like it is going in when it leaves his hand. It's sort of a funny side shot.

I disagree to some extent about Moses' play. He had 4 TOs but iirc one was trying to save an errant pass ahead where all he could do was throw it back inbounds. While he gets the TO it was the first pass that really caused it. Another was when he had the ball on about 30 feet from the basket and tried to get it to Cole right as Cole decided to cut. While it was still his fault the bigger issue is that our guards, I believe there were two in at the time, did nothing to come get the ball which has been an issue all year. As far as his shooting goes he is rushing things, which isn't uncommon for a freshman, but I don't really have a fault with any of his shot selections. He had 3 attempts from 3 point range. One was towards the end of the clock and a decent look. Another was off dribble penetration and a kick out and was a shot that he needs to take with the way we play our offense. IIRC that was his best looking shot as well and was an in and out type of one. He was a 40% shooter from 3 in highschool, and has a decent stroke when he isn't rushing things. But that's part of the gaining experience process, and one that isn't helped by sitting on the bench and watching others.

Furthermore he had a couple of good takes to the basket that drew the defense and allowed for easy put back opportunities. Cole in particular had one easy followup and a second opportunity that resulted in a dunk attempt that should have gone down. We've had issues on this team all year with guys being too passive on offense and too much standing around. Alston is notoriously bad at this, and Cole isn't much better. But even Okogie and Tad have spells where there is little movement. Moses pretty constantly moves and attacks the offensive glass. While he makes mistakes, given the team structure, I'd rather see him make those mistakes of aggression then watch some of the passive play from others.

The rest of your post I agree with 100% by the way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

This is proof THWG has a webcam on me at all times. It's also proof that, despite reports to the contrary, I'm a balding white man. Who knew?

I guess I should watch the second half. I went to Vile and UVA at the break.

You're clearly not a real fan ... nevermind the fact that I had no idea we played Clemson this past Saturday. :unsure:

I was there live and I almost passed out seeing it lol

Be honest. You almost passed out because-a the meth-crack.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This is proof THWG has a webcam on me at all times. It's also proof that, despite reports to the contrary, I'm a balding white man. Who knew?

You're clearly not a real fan ... nevermind the fact that I had no idea we played Clemson this past Saturday. :unsure:

Be honest. You almost passed out because-a the meth-crack.

Obviously, you have scientists making this stuff lately. More high for the buy

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty funny the State boards talking about Cole being a "hitman" and a "damn punk" lol. Probably the most innocent person on our team behind Moses. @ChasonBaller get your guy under control!

In their defense, they are also talking about the foul disparity, which is actually pretty surprising given the way things have gone for us this year. There were definitely a few times where we made contact, I was expecting a whistle, and the refs let them play on. But we've had our fair share of shakedowns (last Saturday included) so I don't feel bad for them one bit.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pretty funny the State boards talking about Cole being a "hitman" and a "damn punk" lol. Probably the most innocent person on our team behind Moses. @ChasonBaller get your guy under control!

Lets be honest. If another team's player came in, gave our starting PG an injury and hit another player in the junk we'd have fans saying the same thing, even if both cases were incidental.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Heh. Every time I watched #ColeBlooded.biz he was hitting somebody. He somehow twisted their pg's arm forcing him out. Then, when the dude came back, #ColeBlooded.biz whacked the same dude upside the head to the point where the guy stopped mid-play and appeared to be a little dazed. He followed that up with an epic nut-shot on that weird looking bearded guard they have.

I loved it.

I think it's more him being goofy than him being dirty but I can see where they could be mad about it.

Oh well, @ChasonBaller , tell your boy to never not be ... Cole .... Blooded ........ .biz

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Lets be honest. If another team's player came in, gave our starting PG an injury and hit another player in the junk we'd have fans saying the same thing, even if both cases were incidental.
I don't disagree - I just think it's funny given we haven't really seen any of that this season before last night.

Deleted member 2897

In fairness to the NC State fans, if you were on a big time roll and had just beaten Florida State by 20, Boston College by 16, @Wake Forest, @Syracuse, and had also in the last month beaten North Carolina, Duke, and Clemson, you'd be pretty salty losing to us right now who had lost eleventeen games in a row. Keep in mind too where they live - they deal with pro-Duke and pro-UNCheat BS ref calls CONSTANTLY. They have the equivalent of the pro-dwag AJC doing nothing but salivating over Duke and UNCheat all the time up there in the triangle (NC State calls it the Research Triangle - Duke and UNCheat call it a messed up square). I am always a semi-NC State fan from afar because of that. Oh, and enjuneering too.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh look he had his best game of his career running point?
Don’t be a female and twist my words to fit your argument.

I never said he was a good shooter. I said he has the capability to get hot. Which.....oh look, everyone on the board loves him today.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I disagree to some extent about Moses' play. He had 4 TOs but iirc one was trying to save an errant pass ahead where all he could do was throw it back inbounds. While he gets the TO it was the first pass that really caused it. Another was when he had the ball on about 30 feet from the basket and tried to get it to Cole right as Cole decided to cut. While it was still his fault the bigger issue is that our guards, I believe there were two in at the time, did nothing to come get the ball which has been an issue all year. As far as his shooting goes he is rushing things, which isn't uncommon for a freshman, but I don't really have a fault with any of his shot selections. He had 3 attempts from 3 point range. One was towards the end of the clock and a decent look. Another was off dribble penetration and a kick out and was a shot that he needs to take with the way we play our offense. IIRC that was his best looking shot as well and was an in and out type of one. He was a 40% shooter from 3 in highschool, and has a decent stroke when he isn't rushing things. But that's part of the gaining experience process, and one that isn't helped by sitting on the bench and watching others.

Furthermore he had a couple of good takes to the basket that drew the defense and allowed for easy put back opportunities. Cole in particular had one easy followup and a second opportunity that resulted in a dunk attempt that should have gone down. We've had issues on this team all year with guys being too passive on offense and too much standing around. Alston is notoriously bad at this, and Cole isn't much better. But even Okogie and Tad have spells where there is little movement. Moses pretty constantly moves and attacks the offensive glass. While he makes mistakes, given the team structure, I'd rather see him make those mistakes of aggression then watch some of the passive play from others.

The rest of your post I agree with 100% by the way.

This is something that we will just have to disagree on.
i don't think Moses should be shooting threes, ever, right now. Sorry but 2 for 27 should drive that home. The fact that his shot does not look good either just further supports it. He is not a good shooter, period.
i don't care what his HS % was, that's irrelevant and I wonder if its not true because his form does not suggest a 40% shooter. He releases it with a funny side shot. it never looks like it is going in when it comes off his hand.
if i was the coach and he took a three i would shackle him to the bench. Every time he takes a three it is a win or the defense. They are daring him to take it and he obliges way too easily.
As I said, he played hard and i think he was getting playing time because he made some nice defensive plays close to the basket, but he has alot of growing to do. I don't see him as a major contributor until his JR yr, he needs alot of skill work. Anything we get from Moses before his JR year is just gravy.
He also moves well without the ball, though he sometimes is not really in a good scoring position.
Love his hustle. Don't really like his skill set right now.

It's funny as you mention others being passive and that is very true. I think Tad and Josh actually go well together in that sense. Tad tends to be very aggressive from the outset while Josh tends to ease more into the game. So you often see Tad scoring more early and Josh scoring more late.

I will say watching warmups I thought NCST was going to win by 20 last night. They came out in warmups and were hitting everything they shot. i remember turning to my buddy that came to the game with me and said i hope they are getting all their good shots out. With less than 2 min left in the game they were shooting 67% from three - the 1-5 finish dropped them to 50%.
GT meanwhile wasn't hitting much of anything in warmups.
My buddy made a nice point that at times GT looks like they are in their first practice together, not at the end of a season, a result have having to play a very different group of players then was expected at the beginning of the season. This group right now simply has little experience playing and practicing together.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Hes been running point a couple games and coincidentally weve started to play better basketball. You dont think he would of improved if he had been playing there for 4 years?? C'mon man..