#WCUvsGT Postgame Discussion

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I seriously thought he saw the blue jersey and gold pants and had a brain-fart, thinking he was throwing it to one of our receivers. It was right to the defender and well away from where the receiver was going to be.
That thought crossed my mind as well because I couldn’t see any receivers with a chance of being anywhere near that pass. But with his history of throwing balls up for grabs, hard to know what happened there.

ScGold

Banned
I some what was quoting the rumble seat. In which they said the first units played in the 4th quarter. "The starting units essentially played the entire game." Boo them if u want. Did they lie?

JacketFan137

Banned
I some what was quoting the rumble seat. In which they said the first units played in the 4th quarter. "The starting units essentially played the entire game." Boo them if u want. Did they lie?
it’s just a tough look when you’re being excessively negative all over the thread with completely wrong information.

JacketFan137

Banned
Does anyone see any improvement from year one?
considering we lost to citadel and we pretty much coasted through this game yes we are better. is it enough improvement? no, but to pretend like this team isn’t better is just being willfully ignorant at this point

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
considering we lost to citadel and we pretty much coasted through this game yes we are better. is it enough improvement? no, but to pretend like this team isn’t better is just being willfully ignorant at this point

We’re better than Year 1. But I think a lot of Year 1 was coaching errors, trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We won. Let’s do it again next week.

JacketFan137

Banned
The crowd was pathetic. The play was borderline pathetic. This program is dead.
1662911311539.jpeg

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This defense is the best we've had in many years, which may not be saying much. I have doubts about Thacker, but Collins and Turner have definitely helped.

Unless the OL and TE improve a lot, then I will reluctantly say that we may be looking at 3 wins. Three recruiting years hasn't been enough to overcome what was left behind from 2018 It's not surprising that we have like 5 OL commits for 2023 and still want more, but why has it taken this long to load up? 2023 OL recruits probably won't be fully useful until the 2026 season when they are RJrs.

Still, throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a decision to be emotionally made.

slugboy

Staff member
Looking at the play by play

1. We received the first kickoff. We drove the ball to midfield, and had second and 3. Ran three runs in a row at midfield, the first for 7 yards. In two consecutive runs, we didn’t convert, and we got a good punt.
  2. Offsides penalty helped keep a drive moving. WCU scored in 5 plays, including a 21-yard pass and a 49-yard pass.
  3. Mixing long runs and long passes (19 yards, etc), we tie the game up.
  4. WCU tears off long runs to start their drive, and caps off their scoring drive with 30 and 22 yard passes. WCU 14 - GT 7
  5. GT: 17 yard pass, 9 yard run, 51 yard run. 41-all.
  6. WCU: 4 plays, pick up 10 on a first down pass. Thanks to sacks, the total drive is 4 plays and 6 yards. Punt.
  7. GT: 4 and out. One quick pass to EJ Jenkins for 13 yards. Short runs by Hall for a yard each. Sims is sacked for a loss of 7. Punt. <We enter the second quarter. this is one of those series where I'd like the offense to step up and build a lead>
  8. Western Carolina starts at their 2 yard line. Through passing and pass interference, they make it to the 42. GT intercepts.
  9. 5 plays. The early yardage is mostly intermediate passing, but 40 of the 60 yards are from a Nate McCollum end around for a TD. GT 21-WCU 14.
  10. WCU. 5 plays, 17 yards, mostly from a roughing the passer penalty. Defense has locked down. Punt.
  11. GT. 3 plays-incomplete, 4 yard run, 3 yard run, punt
  12. WCU: 8 plays, 30 yards. end of 2nd quarter
  13. --HALFTIME--
  14. WCU receives the second half kick. Pass for 11, run for 6, run for 13, close into scoring territory, bad snap + 18 yard loss + fumble recovery = TECH BALL. <we weren't sharp this series.
  15. GT: Long (or Sims) decides to air it out with a bomb. Effectively a 1 play first down punt to the 16.
  16. WCU: 5 plays, 7 yards, defense is playing well. Punt.
  17. GT: 8 plays, 61 yards, all on the ground. TD. GT 35 - WCU 14. Our last score.
  18. WCU: backup QB is in after we knocked out their starter earlier. Almost all on the ground. 49 yards and a field goal.
  19. <at this point, we're taking the air out of the game and running out the clock>
  20. GT: Dontae smith 5 yard run, a no-gain pass and an incomplete. Punt.
  21. WCU: run for 1 yard, then interception.
  22. GT: We run from the WCU 12 to the WCU 7. Missed FG.
  23. WCU: 8 plays, 45 yards. We've subbed in. We're burning clock. Turnover on downs.
  24. GT: 3 plays-run, run, run. Punt.
  25. WCU: time expires.
Looking back, the game was in hand in the third. The coaches were testing to see if we could connect for long strikes through the air -- no dice :( , but they weren't worried about the game. They were testing out what our offense could do.

If there are a few things I'd make a note of, we started the game slow on offense and defense, and we came out of halftime sluggish. That's possibly because WCU is an "inferior opponent", but we let them off the mat instead of just holding them down. A second thing is that we keep getting behind the chains on offense. Still too many short drives. Offensive inefficiency and slow starts are why this wasn't a 50-3 win.
Finally, we looked good on defense and played hard on that side. We have a pass rush and had negative plays.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
yeah, some folks here are really, really, unhappy that we won. cause they're "fans" and all you know.
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be;​
and that which is done is that which shall be done:​
and there is no new thing under the sun.​

We have fans here who still bring up the 2008 Garner-Webb game up as if it were a loss.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
The crowd was pathetic. The play was borderline pathetic. This program is dead.

I agree on the first point. I continue to be ‘shushed’ by fellow Tech fans at games. Never away fans - they get it. But nearby Tech fans get annoyed by things like making noise on 3rd down. It’s sad… we’re at the Fox today for Paw Patrol and this is a livelier crowd than last night at Tech.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Indeed.

And folks chided me when I said there are a lotta folks here that need us to lose so they can be right(sic). :rolleyes:
Who are you talking about? Name them. There's maybe two dozen people who still regularly post on this board so it shouldn't be that hard. There's plenty enough to be frustrated at with this program right now I don't understand why you and some others feel the need to invent people to be mad at. Reads like pure cope.