#WCUvsGT Postgame Discussion

ScGold

Banned
Sims play seemed more than inconsistent, it was relatively poor. Maybe he just wasn't focused, but he was off target a lot, sub 50% completion percentage, threw a pick, and even running the ball he didn't seem to be giving it his all, more like he was playing backyard football. There was one 3rd down play in particular where he successfully juked 3 defenders, and then instead of trying to turn the corner and get the first down he had room to get, he just stepped out of bounds well short of the line to gain and we had to punt.
That wasn't the firsr
Thank you. Some people here are just negative Nancy’s and CGC haters.
3- 9 three years in a row. Can't dominate a team tech should be beat by 40. Dare i say he has jumped bi@#& fing lew%$ as the worst coach in tech history.

kalld12

Banned
For the most part I’m still impressed with how our secondary has played this year. The pass interference call on Zamari late was a BS call. I still struggle with how hard it is for Thacker to make adjustments on D. They were killing us with the QBs escape ability and Screen Passes. Good D coordinators know how to either bring more pressure, QB spy, and containment. I really saw nothing that countered what WCU was trying to do which was concerning. I thought Keion had a great game, QB avoided alot of would be sacks tonight.

I think the O will continue to get better next week. Sims still making terrible throws downfield, but overall he was about average this game. Need him to utilize his legs a little more to open up the field and stretch the Defense. RBs had a great game. I like Smith and Hall a lot.

I’m curious why we never attempted a screen pass ourselves or at least I don’t remember seeing one.

Thought we did a good job cleaning up the offensive penalties.

Bottom line: we needed this win badly as we had lost 7 in a row. I don’t think posters here understand just how strongly that impacts the teams moral and confidence. Got to practice hard this week and get ready to kick Ole Miss ***. Go Jackets

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m neutral on Nebraska mostly but it absolutely must suck to come home to your program and run it into the ground rather than resurrect it. I also thought Frost would be a great hire... I’m not involved enough to know what is / has gone wrong, but it’s bad...
One thing for sure - joining the Big 10 has clearly hurt this program. A once-proud team that has consistently been mediocre since joining the B10 just over ten years ago. Worthy observation for those desiring to see GT move in that direction some day.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims play seemed more than inconsistent, it was relatively poor. Maybe he just wasn't focused, but he was off target a lot, sub 50% completion percentage, threw a pick, and even running the ball he didn't seem to be giving it his all, more like he was playing backyard football. There was one 3rd down play in particular where he successfully juked 3 defenders, and then instead of trying to turn the corner and get the first down he had room to get, he just stepped out of bounds well short of the line to gain and we had to punt.

Agreed - Clemson game made me believe he had taken the next step in his development. Last night made me think otherwose - this team will always be limited by his inconsistencies. The kid is an outstanding athlete but he was really struggling with accuracy and overall consistency. And don't forget the other throw directly to one of their DB's (with no GT receiver nearby) which was dropped as that clearly should have been a second INT - genuinely curious if our receiver ran the wrong route of if that play was on Sims... He's gotta be better for this team to have any shot at 6 W's this season. While we all love the W, his performance was very discouraging...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how anyone would have characterized last night's game as anything other than win or else. Thankfully we got the win and we had issues, but after the 1st quarter the outcome of the game was not really in danger. The talent and coaching disparity, much like the Clemson game was fairly apparent.
Yeah... you’re right.

I also recall a lot of people saying that the prospect of a loss was ridiculous and to express concern that this game could be close or in jeopardy was just banging on our staff unnecessarily. Maybe so, but it sure didn’t exude confidence to me!

Maybe the most disappointing thing to me was the way we closed it. So we played tight, made some mistakes... it happens. When we scored to go up 35-14 to finally put some distance on them, we responded by letting them sustain a long scoring drive with a backup QB and 2 consecutive 3 and out offensive possessions on our side, then a missed chip shot field goal.

I also thought our D was shaky against the short pass attack. We stiffened on our side of the field; I hope that’s something we can continue to do against future completion. They also helped us with a couple of timely dropped snaps. Similar to last year, we were pretty excited about our Clemson performance, not realizing how ineffective the Clem passing game was. Later we realized it was a product of Clemsons attack more so than our D.

Yeah, it’s a win, but we were told all week it was a guaranteed win anyway. I hope this is the product of a short week, lapse in focus between two big games, etc.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

Maybe the most disappointing thing to me was the way we closed it. So we played tight, made some mistakes... it happens. When we scored to go up 35-14 to finally put some distance on them, we responded by letting them sustain a long scoring drive with a backup QB and 2 consecutive 3 and out offensive possessions on our side, then a missed chip shot field goal.

we did get a little lazy with a decent lead, which can get you beat.

when my daughter said she wanted to go to Tech, I told her being a Tech fan means being up by 20 with 1:05 left in the game, sitting on the edge of your seat, hoping to pull it out.

for reasons unknown, been that way for a loooooong time.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
One thing for sure - joining the Big 10 has clearly hurt this program. A once-proud team that has consistently been mediocre since joining the B10 just over ten years ago. Worthy observation for those desiring to see GT move in that direction some day.
Well, I’d say Pelini’s departure is a much stronger correlation. Series of poor decisions followed. The least of their issues was accepting the opportunity the Big Ten offered

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah... you’re right.

I also recall a lot of people saying that the prospect of a loss was ridiculous and to express concern that this game could be close or in jeopardy was just banging on our staff unnecessarily. Maybe so, but it sure didn’t exude confidence to me!

I also thought our D was shaky against the short pass attack. We stiffened on our side of the field; I hope that’s something we can continue to do against future completion. They also helped us with a couple of timely dropped snaps. Similar to last year, we were pretty excited about our Clemson performance, not realizing how ineffective the Clem passing game was. Later we realized it was a product of Clemsons attack more so than our D.

Yeah, it’s a win, but we were told all week it was a guaranteed win anyway. I hope this is the product of a short week, lapse in focus between two big games, etc.
Did you take into the Charlie Thomas dismissal in the first half due to targeting call in the Clemson game . Seems like the D played better when he came back.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Some things I noticed at the game.

Attendance was disappointing. This may have been the lowest attendance for the first game of the season I can remember. Hopefully it was because of the rain. Does anyone know the number of season tickets sold this year? I could not get an answer from my ticket rep.

There was no weightlifting or dancing on the Tech sideline. A much more serious and focused look.

I don't recall hearing "money down".

And music was not "turnt" up to 11.

Need more folks to show up for Ole Miss and make it a home field advantage.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This board does realize Tech played its first team the entire game. Let that soak in.
Participation report says otherwise. In real time, I was encouraged seeing Grey Carroll get action in the 4th quarter.

Here was our 1st string:
1662905591065.png

Here's everybody else who played:
1662905622705.png

Feel free to redact your comment at any point.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I can’t say I came away overly confident but the D did keep them scoring after the first quarter, other than the 1 FG. Their QBs were athletic and able to avoid the rush but also almost always to out D left side I believe. Maybe the DE wasn’t maintaining outside leverage?
Seems like in the deep passes Sims was not leading the receiver away from the DB allowing them to catch up.
But a win is a win and I’ll take it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Did you take into the Charlie Thomas dismissal in the first half due to targeting call in the Clemson game . Seems like the D played better when he came back.
Well, there is no doubt we are better with him on the field. I would hope the presence (or lack thereof) of one player wouldn’t have profound effect on our productivity against FCS opponents but it probably will down the stretch. Let’s hope he never leaves again!(y)