#WCUvsGT Postgame Discussion

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
From the Georgia Tech website the listed attendance was 36,486. From where I sat, I do not think the stadium was over half full, but could be wrong.

The student section had more fans than usual, so good for them for showing up.
I think the numbers are right. Due to the free ticket giveaway the upper north deck was over half full. If it hadn’t rained we’d probably have had more too. The Ole Miss game (for better or worse) will probably draw a lot.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The upper north looked about as empty as I've ever seen it on tv. I'd be surprised if there were 30k actually there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That number would be the # of tickets sold, not the number that were in the stands.
All schools report tickets sold rather than # of people that pass through the turnstile.
There was a good article on this last year. I believe the avg attendance for college football games was somewhere in the 70% of tickets sold. Obviously some schools do better and some worse.
But take the official number and reduce it by 20-25% and that is probably closer to the real attendance.
Does the 36,000 include the tickets given away?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think the numbers are right. Due to the free ticket giveaway the upper north deck was over half full. If it hadn’t rained we’d probably have had more too. The Ole Miss game (for better or worse) will probably draw a lot.
The number was sold and given away tickets.

Our capacity is 55k. That would mean there were butts in 2 of every 3 seats if it was 36k. There were butts in maybe 1 of every 3 seats. That would have been 18k. I was thinking maybe 20k looking at the stands.

Lately it seems like we're probably going to get 50-55k show up for the assbags up the road, 45-48k for Clemson or ND, 28-33k for your average ACC team or a local opponent like Mercer and under 25k for the 1-aa teams not within a short drive. Sold tickets are going to be between 32k-38k for most games not having Clemson or the other. Reason being is we're selling about 30k season tickets these days (guestimate based on revenue projections) and we get somewhere between 2k & 5k visitor sales. We're now losing about 5% of our season ticket base annually. Let's hope it stops dropping when we win 5 games this year or change regimes. We really cannot afford much more downside without someone pumping money into the AA.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
The number was sold and given away tickets.

Our capacity is 55k. That would mean there were butts in 2 of every 3 seats if it was 36k. There were butts in maybe 1 of every 3 seats. That would have been 18k. I was thinking maybe 20k looking at the stands.

Lately it seems like we're probably going to get 50-55k show up for the assbags up the road, 45-48k for Clemson or ND, 28-33k for your average ACC team or a local opponent like Mercer and under 25k for the 1-aa teams not within a short drive. Sold tickets are going to be between 32k-38k for most games not having Clemson or the other. Reason being is we're selling about 30k season tickets these days (guestimate based on revenue projections) and we get somewhere between 2k & 5k visitor sales. We're now losing about 5% of our season ticket base annually. Let's hope it stops dropping when we win 5 games this year or change regimes. We really cannot afford much more downside without someone pumping money into the AA.
The upper north and east stands were empty, but the students probably had close to 7 or 8K. It was the best i've seen from our student section in quite some time.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The upper north looked about as empty as I've ever seen it on tv. I'd be surprised if there were 30k actually there.

Upper North was surprisingly full. Must’ve been the freebies. The issue was that there were no lights on it. It was really dark up there. Like, I would’ve been nervous walking down the steps it was so dark. Not sure if that’s from the new/fewer lights or what, but it appeared to me that the Upper North was about half full, which is great for a game like that.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Upper North was surprisingly full. Must’ve been the freebies. The issue was that there were no lights on it. It was really dark up there. Like, I would’ve been nervous walking down the steps it was so dark. Not sure if that’s from the new/fewer lights or what, but it appeared to me that the Upper North was about half full, which is great for a game like that.
Yeah unlike the upper east and west the north stands don't have lights on top, the lights are in the corners where there aren't seats.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
LOL GUYS LOOK AT THIS PHOTO
1662952300489.png

Look at that smirk, toatally knows he would've lost his job had we not won the game.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, brainfart while typing. Meant the upper east.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wanted to wait a day or two before I put my thoughts down on the screen. Below are my takeaways from the game:

1. QB play was bad. There were a lot of poorly thrown balls and I can't blame pressure as the OL played reasonably well.
2. WR/TE play didn't impress either. There were some moments, but overall, we need this unit to improve.
3. OL looked better, but not facing a major threat in WCUs DL. Some breakdowns in blocking, but overall, they are getting better. They need to be at their best the next two weeks.
4. RBs went off. Dontae continues to impress. Hall looked good, and McDuffie is a load to take down. I think we are more than ok here.

5. DL looks better than last year, but still loses contain too often on mobile QBs. Continued pressure on the QB is nice.
6. LBs are the strength of our D. Thomas and Eley are both impressive so far.
7. Secondary is improved, but I don't know that this game really showed us much. Nice to get some INTs.

8. Kickoffs aren't going to be an issue.
9. FGs, however, might be.
10. PRs looked good, but again, level of opponent makes it hard to tell how good.

The north stands are DARK at night. With the new lighting system, the field looks good, but the stands get way too dark

Overall, not a bad game, but definitely not the game we wanted. Vanilla play calling on O is somewhat to be expected but not what I wanted to see. We need to come out swinging next week and Sims needs to get hot fast in that game. Gotta feeling our only chance is a shoot out.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Wanted to wait a day or two before I put my thoughts down on the screen. Below are my takeaways from the game:

1. QB play was bad. There were a lot of poorly thrown balls and I can't blame pressure as the OL played reasonably well.
2. WR/TE play didn't impress either. There were some moments, but overall, we need this unit to improve.
3. OL looked better, but not facing a major threat in WCUs DL. Some breakdowns in blocking, but overall, they are getting better. They need to be at their best the next two weeks.
4. RBs went off. Dontae continues to impress. Hall looked good, and McDuffie is a load to take down. I think we are more than ok here.

5. DL looks better than last year, but still loses contain too often on mobile QBs. Continued pressure on the QB is nice.
6. LBs are the strength of our D. Thomas and Eley are both impressive so far.
7. Secondary is improved, but I don't know that this game really showed us much. Nice to get some INTs.

8. Kickoffs aren't going to be an issue.
9. FGs, however, might be.
10. PRs looked good, but again, level of opponent makes it hard to tell how good.

The north stands are DARK at night. With the new lighting system, the field looks good, but the stands get way too dark

Overall, not a bad game, but definitely not the game we wanted. Vanilla play calling on O is somewhat to be expected but not what I wanted to see. We need to come out swinging next week and Sims needs to get hot fast in that game. Gotta feeling our only chance is a shoot out.

I wasn't pleased with the OL given the competition. Hall had a 19 yard run. He gained 2 yards total on his other 4 carries (0,5 ypc) That's on the OL.

McDuffie had a 9 yard run. He gained 16 yards total on his other 8 carries (2 ypc). So for 12 of the 34 attempts, we averaged 1.5 ypc. Against an FCS team known for offense, that's poor.

Smith's numbers were better because Smith is one of the best I've seen at yards after contact. Better than Gibbs. In other words, he gets yards even if the OL is not doing their job. It's easy to say, as much of the media did, that the OL looked better. Not to me, given the difference in competition from week 1 to week 2.

I hope the reason was the short week and lots of substitutions, and moving Williams to LT at times. But I am skeptical. And the TE play isn't helping.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to get some of your thoughts on the defensive performance. Thomas looks like an All-ACC candidate at LB and White looked amazing as well. Not sure what to make of the secondary just yet.
Not him, but In the first half, the LB corps was non existent. No pass coverage and no run support. I don’t know if it was scheme, personnel, or both.