#WCUvsGT Postgame Discussion

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I agree, I wish we got deeper into 3rd string yesterday. I think it’s likely that short rest from game 1 made it harder to get the necessary separation. To what extent, I don’t know.

Glad we did not play the first team the entire game though and actually substituted players beginning in the first quarter. The assertion to which I responded is a wild and inaccurate take.
Things that I've really enjoyed about college football are starting to disappear. I've always like the 4th quarter in these easier games. You get to see the guys with no dirt on their uniforms lining up for plays. Yesterday, no back up QB on last possession. Boo to that. I know you have to manage the 4 games they can play before you burn a redshirt, but either the Clemson kid or the one from Akorn should have atleast gotten a few snaps. Somebody needs to be ready if Sims gets dinged up and has to come out for a play for two, a couple series, etc. Surely there's guys on the 2 deep that are at the point where eligibility is not the issue. Let them have a few snaps in front of Mom & Dad. You'd think it would be good for recruiting rather than having Smith & Sims, McCollum, etc in there. Damn, a freak play when the game is out of reach taking out a key player would have been disastrous.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This board does realize Tech played its first team the entire game. Let that soak in.

This is patently and provably false. You should really check your facts before you post bald faced lies on these threads. Below are all the non starters that played last night from the NCAA participation report for GT. Jason Moore, a walk on DL, recorded a sack.

Georgia Tech 1-Thomas, Charlie, 10-McCawley, Taylor, 11-King, Ryan, 12-Rutherford, Malik, 13-Reed Jr., Eric, 15-Bryant, Sirad, 17-Knight II, Demetrius, 20-Brooks, LaMiles, 22-Edwards, Kaleb, 23-Gee, Khari, 24-Johnson, Kenan, 25-BlackStrain, James, 26-Shelley, Rodney, 27-Robinson, Josh, 29-Powell-Lee, Clayton, 3-Watson, Kenyatta, 3-Hall, Hassan, 32-Yondjouen, Sylvain, 33-Gordon, Daylon, 37-Peyton, Harrison, 4-Smith, Dontae, 43-Shanahan, David, 43-Collins, Noah, 46-Freer, Henry, 49-Carroll, Grey, 5-Norris, Kalani, 5-Chimedza, T.K., 60-Vaipulu, Paula, 67-Fusile, Joe, 75-Leftwich, Jakiah, 8-McCollum, Nate, 85-Ward, Billy, 87- Kelley, Jude, 88-Stewart, Gavin, 88-Biggers, Zeek, 89-Postma, Ben, 9-Boyd, Avery, 95-Moore, Jason, 97-Stone, Akelo

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
it’s just a tough look when you’re being excessively negative all over the thread with completely wrong information.
The problem is made worse by you and a few others with the false confirmation bias that a lot of people are only rooting for CGC to fail. People are SO sick of losing and CGC has so far shown that he is a terrible hire and terrible coach. So they are expecting the inevitable and CGC has a proven track record to support that.

Now I still think we are in for a 6+ win season. But I can see how others are still expecting yet another repeat of 3 wins.

CGC needs to win and change what a lot of fans think about him. A lot of the negative fans also have their confirmation bias.

But it is really poor form to keep attacking other fans and you really need to give it a rest and let the season play out. You come across more like you are trying to create angst between fans FYI more like a troll than a fan.
I think we have a really good shot at beating Ole Miss.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The crowd was pathetic. The play was borderline pathetic. This program is dead.
GT crowds are clearly mediocre. But to judge it based on this game where it rained fairly hard before the game and was a very unattractive opponent is hard to measure. I was at this game and the Clemson game. At the Clemson game, after the GT score to make it 14-10, the GT crowd was alive. Obviously it spiraled out of control after that point. I think the GT crowd will be helpful with a meaningful opponent and in a close game. We have had very few of those in the last 3 years. But yes GT crowds are not as rabid as many of our opponents.

ScGold

Banned
This is patently and provably false. You should really check your facts before you post bald faced lies on these threads. Below are all the non starters that played last night from the NCAA participation report for GT. Jason Moore, a walk on DL, recorded a sack.

Georgia Tech 1-Thomas, Charlie, 10-McCawley, Taylor, 11-King, Ryan, 12-Rutherford, Malik, 13-Reed Jr., Eric, 15-Bryant, Sirad, 17-Knight II, Demetrius, 20-Brooks, LaMiles, 22-Edwards, Kaleb, 23-Gee, Khari, 24-Johnson, Kenan, 25-BlackStrain, James, 26-Shelley, Rodney, 27-Robinson, Josh, 29-Powell-Lee, Clayton, 3-Watson, Kenyatta, 3-Hall, Hassan, 32-Yondjouen, Sylvain, 33-Gordon, Daylon, 37-Peyton, Harrison, 4-Smith, Dontae, 43-Shanahan, David, 43-Collins, Noah, 46-Freer, Henry, 49-Carroll, Grey, 5-Norris, Kalani, 5-Chimedza, T.K., 60-Vaipulu, Paula, 67-Fusile, Joe, 75-Leftwich, Jakiah, 8-McCollum, Nate, 85-Ward, Billy, 87- Kelley, Jude, 88-Stewart, Gavin, 88-Biggers, Zeek, 89-Postma, Ben, 9-Boyd, Avery, 95-Moore, Jason, 97-Stone, Akelo
No first team players played in the 4th?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It drove me crazy when he stepped out of bounds on that play. He has often shown a lack of awareness of the sticks. And he’s lucky he didn’t have another pick on that play where it looked like he was playing catch with the DB. His generally unfocused play reminded me of how he came out in the NIU game. Maybe he lacks focus when he’s playing lower level competition.
It’s part of what I feel has been a problem with the team in general the last three years. They do some stuff very well, but they do a lot of fundamental things very poorly, often show a lack of discipline, and just generally don’t seem to have strong leadership from the staff or the players. I think Sims suffered from poor (or maybe even lack of) position coaching the past couple years. I was hoping Weinke would help with that - and he still may, as it’s only been two games.

But I’m happy we won. Haven’t done that very often recently. Beggars can’t be choosers.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The problem is made worse by you and a few others with the false confirmation bias that a lot of people are only rooting for CGC to fail. People are SO sick of losing and CGC has so far shown that he is a terrible hire and terrible coach. So they are expecting the inevitable and CGC has a proven track record to support that.

Now I still think we are in for a 6+ win season. But I can see how others are still expecting yet another repeat of 3 wins.

CGC needs to win and change what a lot of fans think about him. A lot of the negative fans also have their confirmation bias.

But it is really poor form to keep attacking other fans and you really need to give it a rest and let the season play out. You come across more like you are trying to create angst between fans FYI more like a troll than a fan.
I think we have a really good shot at beating Ole Miss.
Completely agree. I think we can all agree that this season is Collins make or break season, we lose like previous seasons and he will be gone and maybe our AD too.
Collins has a mountain to climb with the fan base and even the media

Wining cures all. At this point I think it's just safe to accept that, no sense in continuing to tear the fan base apart. Some folks will never like collins much like there was a vocal group that hated CPJ, and going back same with Chan.

As long as collins meets expectations this season , I'm a a happy fan.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Things that I've really enjoyed about college football are starting to disappear. I've always like the 4th quarter in these easier games. You get to see the guys with no dirt on their uniforms lining up for plays. Yesterday, no back up QB on last possession. Boo to that. I know you have to manage the 4 games they can play before you burn a redshirt, but either the Clemson kid or the one from Akorn should have atleast gotten a few snaps. Somebody needs to be ready if Sims gets dinged up and has to come out for a play for two, a couple series, etc. Surely there's guys on the 2 deep that are at the point where eligibility is not the issue. Let them have a few snaps in front of Mom & Dad. You'd think it would be good for recruiting rather than having Smith & Sims, McCollum, etc in there. Damn, a freak play when the game is out of reach taking out a key player would have been disastrous.

I thought we could've played them both, starting with the 1st drive in 4Q, which was around 11:30 to go, I think.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree. I think we can all agree that this season is Collins make or break season, we lose like previous seasons and he will be gone and maybe our AD too.
Collins has a mountain to climb with the fan base and even the media

Wining cures all. At this point I think it's just safe to accept that, no sense in continuing to tear the fan base apart. Some folks will never like collins much like there was a vocal group that hated CPJ, and going back same with Chan.

As long as collins meets expectations this season , I'm a a happy fan.

I have a different perspective. Not right, just different.

When I was active in my corporate career, I took over a $500 million operation. Global. And I was NOT the first choice. Not by a long shot. In fact, no one had even heard of me. Still, after doing my due diligence, and some basic financial accounting, I could write my strategic plan on one piece of paper. Easy enough for a child, or a CEO, to understand. (As if there is much difference.)

I spent TWO YEARS visiting every site, meeting every employee and getting buy in ... over and over and over again. By the time we were done, we had one of the highest performing business in the company. (For financial geeks, we were hitting 77% ROIC ... which is pretty impressive.)

Geoff pretty much gave his finger to the fanbase and bragged, "I'm not talking to them. I'm talking to recruits." In my experience, he blew trying to sell his vision to the broader Tech community ... and yes, that includes donors and alumni. And that's where we are at. A coach who is aloof and has no outreach to those who can help him. So wins is all he can rely on.

I think this is a major fault on TStan who should have put a foot down some time ago. But, it is what it is. I hope we win ... but ... I also hope Geoff lands somewhere else. He has built a culture of apathy among those mostly likely to help him.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ok, got that game in the win column. Good for us.

Ole Miss will tell us everything. Either we are truly making progress from the last three years or we are the same team with the same problems we have seen for three years.

I know many wil see this as simplistic. So be it. I think we have gone through enough mental gymnastics and squinting side ways at the team trying to see changes and signs of hope. We are either better this year or we are what we are.

Personally, I will be very optimistic about the future if we beat Ole Miss. If we lose I may have to reassess what I do with my time the rest of the season. Unless some changes are made.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I have a different perspective. Not right, just different.

When I was active in my corporate career, I took over a $500 million operation. Global. And I was NOT the first choice. Not by a long shot. In fact, no one had even heard of me. Still, after doing my due diligence, and some basic financial accounting, I could write my strategic plan on one piece of paper. Easy enough for a child, or a CEO, to understand. (As if there is much difference.)

I spent TWO YEARS visiting every site, meeting every employee and getting buy in ... over and over and over again. By the time we were done, we had one of the highest performing business in the company. (For financial geeks, we were hitting 77% ROIC ... which is pretty impressive.)

Geoff pretty much gave his finger to the fanbase and bragged, "I'm not talking to them. I'm talking to recruits." In my experience, he blew trying to sell his vision to the broader Tech community ... and yes, that includes donors and alumni. And that's where we are at. A coach who is aloof and has no outreach to those who can help him. So wins is all he can rely on.

I think this is a major fault on TStan who should have put a foot down some time ago. But, it is what it is. I hope we win ... but ... I also hope Geoff lands somewhere else. He has built a culture of apathy among those mostly likely to help him.

I agree with this 100%! Beyond what you said, doing things in an untraditional manner and not following school traditions we’ve had for decades has really alienated a lot of alumni and fans. I don’t really like Collins at all, but I do hope we win every game. If he came in with a different mentality, I think the fans expectations would have been a lot different. But when you piss everybody off, particularly the big fans and supporters, they are not going to be in your corner when things go wrong, and things have really gone wrong the last three years. Again I want us to win every game, but I don’t really have faith in our current head coach.