#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We sub a lot actually maybe even too much

Interesting note: Prior to the 2014 OB, I was reading one of the MSU boards and several of their posters were hoping that with Collins leaving, they'd quit the 1a and 1b "nonsense" and just play the actual starters the majority of the snaps on defense. It's in CGCs DNA to sub a lot during the games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think his point was that your daughter was paying premium prices for her budget. It’s not whether the car was premium.

I’m not saying I agree but the point was that for not having a premium coach we are paying premium prices -for us.
We paid for a Lexus but ended up with a used Plymouth.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they all have bad transmissions.
The conversation started with me taking issue with the "bad contract" comment. Relative to FBS coach salaries, Collins contract is very favorable to Tech. I don't understand why you and Animal don't get that. You may not like Collins, that's fine. I think his coaching has been terrible too, but to keep saying the contract is the issue is simply incorrect. Check out link

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The conversation started with me taking issue with the "bad contract" comment. Relative to FBS coach salaries, Collins contract is very favorable to Tech. I don't understand why you and Animal don't get that. You may not like Collins, that's fine. I think his coaching has been terrible too, but to keep saying the contract is the issue is simply incorrect. Check out link
You are missing the forest for the trees.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
please enlighten me.
You are focused only on his yearly salary as compared to other P5 coaches, but ignoring the fact that he doesn't win any games, that the contract is way too long with a terrible buyout clause. He is guaranteed far too much money for far too long with almost nothing tied to performance. $1million/win is a **** deal.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems a little high to me. You have to consider the candidate for the job and the salary based on his record he could command. Just saying he has an "average" salary tells only part of the story.

The main issue is the length of it. 7 years may be par for the course, but in Collins' particular case with only 2 years as HC at the G5 level, he should have been offered 5, take it or leave it. He'd be haughty and dumb to turn it down, and if he were that haughty and dumb, we wouldn't need him anyway.

In $$/win, he really is making more than Saban.

Should have been incentivized based on results.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
You are focused only on his yearly salary as compared to other P5 coaches, but ignoring the fact that he doesn't win any games, that the contract is way too long with a terrible buyout clause. He is guaranteed far too much money for far too long with almost nothing tied to performance. $1million/win is a **** deal.
I'm not saying the hire was a good (or bad) hire. I'm saying Collins' contract, in today's FBS marketplace, is not an expensive contract. And when you compare it to the other Power5 contracts, it's very cheap. That was my entire point. It's not a bad contract. It is very favorable to Tech.

Animal02

Banned
I'm not saying the hire was a good (or bad) hire. I'm saying Collins' contract, in today's FBS marketplace, is not an expensive contract. And when you compare it to the other Power5 contracts, it's very cheap. That was my entire point. It's not a bad contract. It is very favorable to Tech.
No it isn't....not with the buyout given an inexperienced coach

slugboy

Staff member
No it isn't....not with the buyout given an inexperienced coach
What buyout for recently hired P5 coaches would be acceptable?
Is there a recent P5 head coach hire who negotiated a lighter buyout clause?
Other than possibly Mack Brown, who just seems to have negotiated a favorable to UNC contract because he's past the point of it mattering to him?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I guess everyone has an opinion if it was good or bad. I'm just not sure how it was good for Tech please tell me why you think it is good.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You have to consider who was being hired for the position as to whether it was a good contract or not, you can't just ignore that. Regardless of how he has performed, he was not qualified enough to demand that kind of money or those terms in the first place.

Using your logic, hiring an 18 year old fresh out of high school at 1 million a year would have been a great deal for Tech because we paid significantly less than the P5 average.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess everyone has an opinion if it was good or bad. I'm just not sure how it was good for Tech please tell me why you think it is good.
Relative to the P5 head coaches, annual salary is about as cheap as they come (ie that's good). We added a little more value by adding 2 years to the contract versus the normal 5 year contract. I don't subscribe to this being the biggest transformation in the history of college football, but I believed (and still believe) it would be harder than most - probably requiring a couple more years of transition (that is reasonable). Lastly, the buyout is only $7.2m after 4 years and $4.8m after 5 years. Those are very small buyouts in P5 coaching contracts today. I think you need to give a coach time (there are many HOF coaches that sucked in their first few years), but if you have to pull the trigger a $4.8 million buyout after 5 years is crazy cheap.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Reasonable response, but I disagree in part. I mean, really, how hard is it to line up in I and hand to a HB? This isn’t something that has to be practiced much at all, everyone on the team was taught this in 5th grade. They already know it, they just have to listen to the count.

I am 50. I haven’t done it in years. I guarantee, I could run an “I right dive” today with zero practice.

But would need much BenGay afterwards.
I’m sure it’s doable, I just don’t know if it’s necessary.

I’m not a football expert, but I believe the issue is more on play selection than formation.

Why we are using Jeff’s legs either allowing him to make a read or rolling him out with the options to run or throw is what bothers me so much with how we’re handling short yardage.

I don’t know if lining up under center would benefit us that much. Maybe make play action a little more affective/effective (I can never get those right).

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
How did Ralph Friedgen do it? We ran under center, pistol and shotgun. We ran twin backs in pocket passing formation, wishbone and veer. Whatever the situation called for we ran it.
Not sure. I’m 36 so was just getting into GT football when Friedgen was here.

My guess is that’s part of what made him great.

I’m sure CDP could install some under center stuff if he wanted to. A big reason he may not is because we have a freshman QB and haven’t had much continuity with the OL.

As I said in another response, I think formation (under center vs shotgun) has little to do with our short yardage issues. Play selection is the bigger issue IMO. Specifically not utilizing the threat that Jeff is running the ball as well as how reliable McGowan is as a WR in the slot.