#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Name a single OL we have that would start for Friedgen from 97-99
I’m not sure what that has to do with the original question of why we don’t run under center in rare select situations. But if you are saying we have lousy players at offensive line who can’t run one play from under center I’ll take your word for it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We don't seem to ride the RB into the line. They stand there and then he makes the decision to keep or handoff from a dead stop. Not sure who he is reading MLB? The defense is not forced to react to a fake. WF runs the read option really well. Ball is kept in the belly until the RB almost hits the hole. If WF can field a competitive team then so can we with good coaching. We have advantages they don't have.
Pretty easy to shadow the QB and RB without any misdirection.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
We're paying him about as much as we can afford, which to us is premium prices. We can't afford to eat contracts like FSU and Tennessee.
It's probably just semantics and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but we are not paying Collins premium wages and implying that we are is disingenuous. My daughter just bought a 10 year old honda civic because that's all she could afford. That is not a premium car. Our coaching has sucked so far. You don't need to exaggerate about paying Collins premium wages to make that point.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's probably just semantics and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but we are not paying Collins premium wages and implying that we are is disingenuous. My daughter just bought a 10 year old honda civic because that's all she could afford. That is not a premium car. Our coaching has sucked so far. You don't need to exaggerate about paying Collins premium wages to make that point.
I think his point was that your daughter was paying premium prices for her budget. It’s not whether the car was premium.

I’m not saying I agree but the point was that for not having a premium coach we are paying premium prices -for us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Under center- the QB has to turn and meet the Rb at the mesh at roughly 3-3.5yds then the RB still has to get to the ball and get the LOS

VS

SHOTGUN- ball is snapped & gets to the QB .5 sec mesh is at 5yds and RBs hits LOS a lot faster

You’re literally arguing proven scientific data bc you’re upset with a call

Why people focus on this is bizarre. Its like we are going to run this play all day.

Maybe when we get a tall fast wr and an athletic TE, we will be talking about how they can't sell out to stop this dive play.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think his point was that your daughter was paying premium prices for her budget. It’s not whether the car was premium.

I’m not saying I agree but the point was that for not having a premium coach we are paying premium prices -for us.
yep, i understood that. I got triggered. I guess the question is, should we expect Top 56 in football rankings which would be commensurate with his Top 56 contract? Or should we expect Premium Level football rankings to go with our slightly above average contract because that's all we can afford :)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

When i get time , i will custom search the knight data on $$ in athletic rev and spending. We were near bottom in acc for public schools.

Engineers all make good money and get good pensions, but ....

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We ran 4-2-5 60%. We send pressure a lot and it gets nowhere.

So on one post people complain about the short intermediate game, now we have guys saying we don’t pass deep enough? You take what the defense gives you and keep the chains moving
Keeping the chains moving is Coach P's weakness. This failure has much to do with EXTREMELY poor first down production and a scheme/formation/play and player selection issue with short yardage. Not moving the chains bleeds into many other problems, even affecting the D.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'm more frustrated with us getting into that position.

I'll have to go back and look at the play, but when you're down to one shot, I'd like some sort of pre-snap option at least--a bubble screen or something if the defense looks weak to the outside, or a dive with a QB keep or end-around option. Or even a "glance" route where if VT is crashing, you hit the slot receiver for a quick 5.

Again, all I remember is that we ran behind the guard.

We almost always line up spread out. The D spreads with us giving us some chance to run (if we could block). But when it is short yardage we still line up in spread the field but the D loads the box and we run into not only overmatch but also out numbered. We do not adjust or change and we get 3 seasons of this and as a result we cannot make short yardage. Where is our short yardage formation and bigger players for short yardage ? Why not try our short yardage play, with 2 backs, having one back up the middle area, one going outside and Sims a threat to run the other side. We need something more creative than a simple to read back taking a slow deep handoff going off guard behind an OL overmatched and outnumbered..

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
How did Ralph Friedgen do it? We ran under center, pistol and shotgun. We ran twin backs in pocket passing formation, wishbone and veer. Whatever the situation called for we ran it.
This is my argument. There are SO MANY other ways to try for it on 4th and short, WHY spot the D 4 yards to our bad? It isn’t working, so let’s call a different play, FFS!!!!!

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Why people focus on this is bizarre. Its like we are going to run this play all day.

Maybe when we get a tall fast wr and an athletic TE, we will be talking about how they can't sell out to stop this dive play.
I am not sure if the nature of your reply here. No offense meant with what I say next.

But WE ARE RUNNING this play all day. That’s why the D knows it is coming.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
We almost always line up spread out. The D spreads with us giving us some chance to run (if we could block). But when it is short yardage we still line up in spread the field but the D loads the box and we run into not only overmatch but also out numbered. We do not adjust or change and we get 3 seasons of this and as a result we cannot make short yardage. Where is our short yardage formation and bigger players for short yardage ? Why not try our short yardage play, with 2 backs, having one back up the middle area, one going outside and Sims a threat to run the other side. We need something more creative than a simple to read back taking a slow deep handoff going off guard behind an OL overmatched and outnumbered..
JFC Danny Daniel, how can you post in a short paragraph what I have been saying for 4 pages now and make much more sense saying it? You are a gentleman and a scholar.

We run the same look on 4th and short that we do all other times And the defense isn’t fooled. Put two ****ing backs in the backfield to make them think.

We need something more creative than a simple to read back taking a slow deep handoff going off guard behind an OL overmatched and outnumbered..

JFC, THIS IS EXACTLY THE THING A COMPETENT COACHING STAFF WOULD DO!!!!!!!!

Well said, Danny!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Keeping the chains moving is Coach P's weakness. This failure has much to do with EXTREMELY poor first down production and a scheme/formation/play and player selection issue with short yardage. Not moving the chains bleeds into many other problems, even affecting the D.
Truth. There are are 100+ teams ahead of us on 3rd down conversion rates, last I looked.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yep, i understood that. I got triggered. I guess the question is, should we expect Top 56 in football rankings which would be commensurate with his Top 56 contract? Or should we expect Premium Level football rankings to go with our slightly above average contract because that's all we can afford :)
😊