VT Replay

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He looked like it was his first start and first time playing at VT. He looked pretty frantic out there when he was changing the call, just seemed like a ton of nervous energy. All to be expected.

And then having a new C to face off against VT's line; I'm not sure we could ask for more. This will be a good trial by fire for both of these guys heading into next year; their success in the future will depend on the same things as always - how hard they work in the off season to perfect the exchange, how hard the OL works, and how much time Jordan spends with his wide receivers getting their timing down.

One note on the last one - I think the biggest thing that we were able to do in 2014 was JT throwing back-shoulder passes to Smelter and Waller. They had the timing down, and it really opened up our offense so much. There was one pass to Juene in the 2nd half that was broken up, and it would've been a nice gain if he threw it 1/2 a second earlier. That type of stuff just takes time.
It looked to me more like he was taking charge and making sure all were on the same page. I've seen Peyton Manning moving around like that while changing plays, too.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I said in an earlier thread that I thought Shamire (#71) played his best game in a Tech uniform. Aside from the one confrontation with Baron mentioned above, he was simply collapsing everything in front of him and a lot to the sides. I was laughing out loud at some of those blocks. I think he was a bit leaked at Baron and decided to take it out on him and the rest of the Turkey D.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Could it be that the improved OL play was giving them less to think about? VPI is notorious for presnap movement. Perhaps coaches just said to the youngsters, "See dude, hit dude" or STTE. Rather than the typical, "See dude ... but look at that other dude ... then consider hitting this other dude ... while double-teaming that one dude ... but don't chop the dude ... then, oh yeah, the snap count is pi ... then pull to this other side ... but not if I say not to ... then hit the dude .... *whistle* {delay of game offense}.

@takethepoints you might be right about #71. Really good game. Still though, I can't help but recall him putting that superstar(sic) FSU Dlineman on skates as a Tfreshmen on that one goal line play a coupla years ago.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
M J said after the game the stadium noise messed with the offense. I think that running around yelling play calls was simply what he had to do to combat the noise.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Who remembers how it worked out when we tried to vary snap count and timing vs. VT in 2013, at home no less, and looked like a jumbled mess on offense?

To @Boomergump's point, we changed AB motion timing and rhythm throughout last Saturday, in Lane Stadium, and had few false starts relative to the '13 debacle. It's worth re-watching a few series if you haven't re-watched the whole game yet.

As much as we got on the team/coaches for lack of focus/preparedness/over-anxiousness in '13, it is almost inconceivable to me that a bunch of inexperience on O was able to flip the script a few years later - OL, AB, QB, etc. We would be talking about over-coaching non-stop if those timing changes led to another disaster. Instead, I am thrilled and will not take it for granted. Bodes well projecting forward if we can stay out of our own heads.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of thoughts:

This was not Shamire's best game. Not in my opinion and probably not that close either. He made some good blocks along the way, for sure.

MJ is faster than a lot of people think. In fact, I would say he is right there with Vad Lee as the second fastest QB in CPJ's era. He would beat both Josh and Tevin in a race.

Don't shortchange MJ's arm either. He can really throw the ball. He has arm strength and accuracy. He just needs to get comfortable with the speed of the game and making throwing decisions under duress. Don't sell him short. He has more time to prove himself in this area.

The lights were shining bright on MJ Saturday. He wasn't perfect and the pressure of the game affected him. But, give him credit for this much: while under ufamiliar pressure, his base reaction was to pin his ears back and play hard. He may have forced a couple things, but he was the farthest thing from meek and hesitant. Give me that any day, even if it leads to a loss.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
VT was not physical. Will pancaked 60 more than once in his limited snaps. He told me he was one of the easiest guys he has faced. Will just had the bad luck of hearing VT players yelling hike when he could not hear the QB... Lesson learned.
That's interesting. It's always interesting to hear different perspectives. CPJ made specific comments in the post-game interview about #60 being absolutely unstoppable.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
@flea77
Will is a bad ***. I'm loving the way he and the other guys are bringing it. Tell him and the rest of the guys "great game" for me.
Thanks Will was Pissed. He was having the game of his life, just a little to hyped. The VT players as they shifted were yelling hike. Kinda a Bull**** deal. The nice thing is that this is a great group. Easy to support. Im so thankful that I have gotten to know these men. lets win 9!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
VT was not physical. Will pancaked 60 more than once in his limited snaps. He told me he was one of the easiest guys he has faced. Will just had the bad luck of hearing VT players yelling hike when he could not hear the QB... Lesson learned.

It seemed to me the breakdown on not stopping Baron (60) was him beating the BB block attempts and him getting to the mesh fast enough to cause read problems. When blocking straight up I saw 60 get taken completely out several times by the guards. His quickness when he was purposely not blocked by the OL was the disruption.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
That's interesting. It's always interesting to hear different perspectives. CPJ made specific comments in the post-game interview about #60 being absolutely unstoppable.
I just watch film. VT did not impress. I told someone on another site who was predicting a huge VT win. We beat them 14, last year turned the ball over on 3 or 4 last possessions or would have beat them. screw VT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Will was Pissed. He was having the game of his life, just a little to hyped. The VT players as they shifted were yelling hike. Kinda a Bull**** deal. The nice thing is that this is a great group. Easy to support. Im so thankful that I have gotten to know these men. lets win 9!
I thought it was against the rules for the defense to mimic the QB cadence. They can call plays, but couldn't interupt the QB cadence. maybe I'm wrong.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe that we have some really good young talent. That being said , I can't even describe how much of a leader Freddie is. He is such a great young man. Freddie deserves every good thing that comes his way. This whole group is united. Will is excited for Shamire when he is playing, the older tackles help the younger guys. Its a team sport. They went thru a 3 win season last year. They are going bowling and the goal is 9 wins.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought it was against the rules for the defense to mimic the QB cadence. They can call plays, but couldn't interupt the QB cadence. maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe thats why they stopped doing it... They were yelling hike and move. W the crowd noise early in the game it caused some issues. No excuse and Will knows he ****ed up.