VT Replay

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Today I decided to give the game another look. Usually the VT games provide extra intrigue because of what Bud Foster does to get his kids ready. I probably put in about half the time I usually do, but it was a really fun study. Additional incentive was added because I was real curious to see the three frosh working together along the OL and I wanted to see Jordan's reads and decision making a little more closely.

Foster had his guys ready like he always does. I don't know what his keys are but he teaches those guys to read them really well. They gave us a tough time with last second shifts and early breaks on our plays. They know our tendencies quite well according to formation, or at least they thought they did early. CPJ had some tricks up his sleeve with altered motion timing and some interesting pulls and traps designed to counter their early breaks. We ate their lunch on the inside after the first couple of series. We hit some big run outs but also just sustained positive yardage plays between the tackles with a mix of called dives, QB draws, QB follows and some triple. I find it interesting how our big runs took advantage of VT flying to the pitch lanes while we ran out behind them through vacated space. Once they were drawn out by a pulling guard and once the safety and LB both went to cover the pitch while nobody stayed home.

I have to say, I am really impressed with how the young guys held up on the interior. In fact, I would say they did the best job I have seen yet against a VT defense. It wasn't the youngest who couldn't hold their water out there, but rather some guys who have played more. That #60 for VT really stands out. What a great player! Holy Cow. He made some plays, but our young guys got him cut off some too. I would say the future looks really bright with those three. When you consider that Bryan has a couple more years and Klock too, they could really be playing at a high level in the years to come. They are all tough kids with good quicks and absolutely zero fear. I don't know what all our rules are about calls and such, but they had to know what they were doing because there was a ton of presnap movement by their DL trying to confuse us. Good for the rookies. They screwed some stuff up and left primary defenders untouched, but it wasn't chronic.

Jordan made most of his interior reads OK. He kept on a midline (one of the few we ran) and got stuffed for a loss of 5 missing that read after being dieked by their DT. He also missed a couple pitches that were there. When he did get it pitched it usually went for good yards, maybe because the entire stadium was surprised he did so. My biggest complaint is with ball security. He was lucky he didn't turn it over more. There were juggles at the snap, panicked tosses, and drops in traffic that all seemed to miraculously find the most benign ending. I give the kid a ton of credit for going into a tough environment and playing with grit and confidence. His body language was outstanding as he never once appeared rattled. I wouldn't make too much out of his throws. He really didn't have a ton of time to even set himself out there. It was fun to see some physical running on the interior by a QB again.

Last edited:

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
There were a LOT of juggled snaps. I don't know if 55 was snapping it at a billion miles an hour, or if jordan was just nervous, but BOY it was dicey.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said in past losses to VT when they made our blocking look REAL bad that everything VT did we practiced for...and we STILL got our lunch taken from us. Nothing Bud Foster has done was ever really a surprise, VT just executed their defense better than we were able to block.

It's promising to see from this young group (everyone but Devine & Fromayan is either a FR or SO) handle the Bud Foster test so well. In fact, I'd say this is the best OL performance against VT I can remember from us in quite a while...maybe all the way back to 2009.

Number 60 wasn't big, he was just quick and strong. I've never seen Devine get tossed aside, but one play 60 got leverage on Devine and basically but him on his backside. Devine ate his lunch after that when they were 1v1.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said in past losses to VT when they made our blocking look REAL bad that everything VT did we practiced for...and we STILL got our lunch taken from us. Nothing Bud Foster has done was ever really a surprise, VT just executed their defense better than we were able to block.

It's promising to see from this young group (everyone but Devine & Fromayan is either a FR or SO) handle the Bud Foster test so well. In fact, I'd say this is the best OL performance against VT I can remember from us in quite a while...maybe all the way back to 2009.

Number 60 wasn't big, he was just quick and strong. I've never seen Devine get tossed aside, but one play 60 got leverage on Devine and basically but him on his backside. Devine ate his lunch after that when they were 1v1.
We could have a very good to great OL the next few years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Joran is, again, going to be like Will Worth for the rest of his career. Worth is a run first QB; unless he sees a real commit by the pitch read, he's running himself. Same up the middle; he prefers to run himself unless he gets a clear give read on the midline. Navy also runs a lot of QB follows just to get him up field. Like Matthew, he's a load to bring down once he gets downhill. Still, I think Jordan is going to be more ready to pitch the ball with more practice as our starter. This year, he's mostly played at the goal or to run out the clock without mistakes.

There's one difference between Matthew and Worth that should be mentioned. Matthew is a lot faster. Just as much of a load, but, as we saw Saturday, give him a crease and he'll cause real trouble.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT practiced for JT and was prepared to make JT run just like most teams this year. The pitch guy constantly held his shoulders to the AB and then split the difference between the QB and AB. They want JT to keep and depend on the MLB to make the tackle. They want JT to be hit/tackled and take a beating. MJ gave them a different story.

You can attack the pitch read to better force the pitch.

JT is a lot more polished, but he cannot yield or lesson his dynamic running on the edge. He will have to go all out and take chances on hits if they force him inside.... Just like the Duke game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My biggest complaint is with ball security. He was lucky he didn't turn it over more. There were juggles at the snap, panicked tosses, and drops in traffic that all seemed to miraculously find the most benign ending.

There were a LOT of juggled snaps. I don't know if 55 was snapping it at a billion miles an hour, or if jordan was just nervous, but BOY it was dicey.

I am not as worried about the bobbled snaps due to the fact that we were starting the back-up QB and Center. I am surprised the mesh with the BB went as well as it did.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The timing of this great game is a part of the whole amazing phenomenon. PJ really, really, needed a game like this, and it happened. The game reminded us why we have been such PJ supporters, for the most part. He designed an offense around a limited quarterback against a first tier defense. He beat one of the best defensive minds in the game by using his own tendencies against him. [by the way, I find it pleasing that Bud and Paul can fiercely compete but still admire each other's skill. That's what sportsmanship is all about]

I have a very different view of Mathew Jordon than I did coming in. I didn't want to be seen as overly negative, so I never said it, but I just could not see us winning many football games with him a quarterback. It was even starting to bum me out thinking about next year. I still see a lot of things we would lose, but I can see many positives.

I did not know he had any straightaway speed. When he broke free, no one was closing on him. He is faster than I thought. The one thing I knew going in is he is strong. But he also has a little wiggle, some ability to change directions. That combination ensures that he rarely gets stopped cold. In our offense, that extra couple of yards he gets from dodging and bulling his way forward is often just enough to keep making firsts.

He is fumbly with the ball, and he needs badly to work on his pitches. But that could come with a zillion reps.

He doesn't have much of an arm, but neither did George Godsey or Tevin Washington. If he can get accurate, we can work around the lack of a rifle.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks so much for the notes, I'm glad what I saw is confirmed by what you know and can interpret. I said earlier - I'll take mistakes from the young guys if they're playing tough, and they played tough. Good for them, and great to see.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Joran is, again, going to be like Will Worth for the rest of his career. Worth is a run first QB; unless he sees a real commit by the pitch read, he's running himself. Same up the middle; he prefers to run himself unless he gets a clear give read on the midline. Navy also runs a lot of QB follows just to get him up field. Like Matthew, he's a load to bring down once he gets downhill. Still, I think Jordan is going to be more ready to pitch the ball with more practice as our starter. This year, he's mostly played at the goal or to run out the clock without mistakes.

There's one difference between Matthew and Worth that should be mentioned. Matthew is a lot faster. Just as much of a load, but, as we saw Saturday, give him a crease and he'll cause real trouble.

I was surprised by the speed he showed. On his long TD run I thought he was going to get caught, but he was pretty darn fast.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

He looked like it was his first start and first time playing at VT. He looked pretty frantic out there when he was changing the call, just seemed like a ton of nervous energy. All to be expected.

And then having a new C to face off against VT's line; I'm not sure we could ask for more. This will be a good trial by fire for both of these guys heading into next year; their success in the future will depend on the same things as always - how hard they work in the off season to perfect the exchange, how hard the OL works, and how much time Jordan spends with his wide receivers getting their timing down.

One note on the last one - I think the biggest thing that we were able to do in 2014 was JT throwing back-shoulder passes to Smelter and Waller. They had the timing down, and it really opened up our offense so much. There was one pass to Juene in the 2nd half that was broken up, and it would've been a nice gain if he threw it 1/2 a second earlier. That type of stuff just takes time.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
...He designed an offense around a limited quarterback against a first tier defense. He beat one of the best defensive minds in the game by using his own tendencies against him. [by the way, I find it pleasing that Bud and Paul can fiercely compete but still admire each other's skill. That's what sportsmanship is all about....

Foster was a class act with his comments after the game. I bet those guys will be friends when they retire - sitting on a dock/porch with a beer talking about trying to outsmart the other one.

This game reminded me of the Auburn game, at AU, with Tenuta leading the defense. Just a cat and mouse game all day. Really enjoyed watching it.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just curious - how would you rate #71's play? Hard to tell when just watching the game, but he seemed to be getting some good movement. #60 for VT definitely was quick to our pulling guards. I saw one play he charged in against our pulling guard and #53 who had responsibility had no chance. Not blaming #53, no one could have made that block. I did notice that CPJ took advantage of their reads, two Vt players were flowing outside on Marshall's Td run and I know #71 made a good block on that play as well as #79 who I have been down on some. I also definitely like the way the kids come off the ball. They may make mistakes but it's at least mistakes while flying around hitting somebody instead of mistakes of just not hitting anybody which happened late last year and early this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Foster was a class act with his comments after the game. I bet those guys will be friends when they retire - sitting on a dock/porch with a beer talking about trying to outsmart the other one.

This game reminded me of the Auburn game, at AU, with Tenuta leading the defense. Just a cat and mouse game all day. Really enjoyed watching it.

I think at the highest levels of any profession, when you get to match wits with someone perceived to be one of the best at what they do, you relish the challenge.

As they say, game respects game. Would LOVE for them to do a show where each coach dissects the other and discusses what they other did. Of course, active coaches probably would not do it. If you watch the national championship game every year, ESPN has a channel dedicated to just coaches dissecting the each play. So fun to watch how some of the top coaches view the game.