Virginia Tech

GTBaseballBoy16

Georgia Tech Fan
Bartnicki did a good job holding them. Needs to work on the running game. The umpire was also brutal. Our offense struck out 19 times and I’m sure way more than half were swinging at balls that weren’t strikes.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Way too many free baserunners, by Bartnicki and our bullpen. Too many extra bases after that from passed balls/wild pitches/stolen bases. A big error by Waddell. We were in way to giving a mood this weekend. Need to clean it up quickly, or we'll be coming home from Florida with a 2-4 ACC record.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I did not get to see any of the game, so I will pose this as a question. It seems to me this team is not playing fundamentally sound baseball. Lose the game on a WP. More errors all weekend than VPI&SU. Too many walks and HBP. They are beating themselves, looking at the box score. Last game I saw was when a bae running error in the 9th cost us the game against UGa.
Am I off base? Or does this team have issues?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did not get to see any of the game, so I will pose this as a question. It seems to me this team is not playing fundamentally sound baseball. Lose the game on a WP. More errors all weekend than VPI&SU. Too many walks and HBP. They are beating themselves, looking at the box score. Last game I saw was when a bae running error in the 9th cost us the game against UGa.

I only saw the beginning and listened on WREK from the 3rd.

We are not playing good baseball IMHO. And it's not the Fr (or Baron today who came a couple of yards from hitting for the cycle!!). Both teams were gentlemanly trying to give the other the game. We won that contest.

Oh well, flush. I was hoping to be wrong on the 2.1 wins this weekend ;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. There are issues. The bottom line (series win) is a positive. Other than that... lots of loose stuff to tighten up.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I only saw the beginning and listened on WREK from the 3rd.

We are not playing good baseball IMHO. And it's not the Fr (or Baron today who came a couple of yards from hitting for the cycle!!). Both teams were gentlemanly trying to give the other the game. We won that contest.

Oh well, flush. I was hoping to be wrong on the 2.1 wins this weekend ;)
I'm (personally) going to try very hard to no longer make the distinction between Fr & others. The team is making mistakes throughout lineup. Too many free bases (not just walks)... WPs, passed balls, catcher interference, wild throws, errors... misplayed singles that turn into triples.

My biggest concern right now is catching position.

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan
If we don’t win at least two next week then we should start to temper expectations. Should have a good idea of what type of team we have a week from now

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m guessing Maxwell starts Tuesday against Auburn. Do you guys prefer him starting weekdays or coming out of the bullpen on the weekends? Just interested to hear different peoples opinion

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m guessing Maxwell starts Tuesday against Auburn. Do you guys prefer him starting weekdays or coming out of the bullpen on the weekends? Just interested to hear different peoples opinion
CDH said it would be Maxwell tomorrow against Auburn in his postgame interview. I like our 4 starting pitchers... and I don't have a strong opinion on this really. I am certain the coaches have a good feel for what makes sense beyond what we see. I'd keep Hughes right where he is. He's doing great. But the other 3 could all be weekend or mid-week guys as far as I'm concerned. I do like having a LHP (at least one) in the weekend rotation just to mix up that kind of matchup with the oppositions lineup... as a general sort of approach. And Bartnicki is the only lefty... so, everything else being equal... I like him on the weekend. I think all of us are seeing control as a concern across the staff. Strikeouts are up.... but so are all the walks, WPs, etc. Of the 4, Maxwell (I think...without looking) is giving up the most 'freebies'.

Deleted member 2897

Woa Nelly, at Auburn this week and at Florida State next weekend. Time to hunker down!

Deleted member 2897

The team is on pace for these numbers by end of regular season (55 games)...

264 BB
84 HBPs
81 wild pitches

This was last year final numbers after 62 games (regular season & 8 postseason)
204 BB
43 HBP
45 wild pitches

It also feels like our RISP and LOB have been pretty poor. The good news is that it’s early and it’s a long season. Just like with turnovers in basketball and valuing the ball, coach can have his guys work on valuing base runners and making people hit the ball to get there.

Deleted member 2897

Good on this catcher. I can’t stand incompetent umpires and referees. You can go slow mo and watch the ball hit the strike zone. Sad.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I like Maxwell mid-week till he settles down. I wish he had been there all year. I think Maxwell will progress faster that way most weeks. But this week, facing @ #18 Auburn is more of a challenge than facing VT.

As far as the team goes, I don't think it matters much. Bartnicki is probably better than Maxwell at this point and I'd rather win the ACC games than mid-week.

Deleted member 2897

As far as the team goes, I don't think it matters much. Bartnicki is probably better than Maxwell at this point and I'd rather win the ACC games than mid-week.

I was thinking about that this morning. Would we rather go 0-3 against Georgia and 2-1 against VT, or would we rather go 2-1 against Georgia and 0-3 against VT. I’d prefer what we did.