Virginia Tech

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I only saw the box score on my Gameday phone app this morning but could someone explain to me what happened? We got 12 hits to their 5 and we needed a walkoff 3-run homer to win.

And didn't something like this happen in the 1st dwag game? We got a bunch of hits to their few but we ended up losing) that time?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I only saw the box score on my Gameday phone app this morning but could someone explain to me what happened? We got 12 hits to their 5 and we needed a walkoff 3-run homer to win.

And didn't something like this happen in the 1st dwag game? We got a bunch of hits to their few but we ended up losing) that time?
Same. Didnt watch the game. How did we leave so many runners on base?
Are these rhetorical questions? They got lots of hits... got guys on... failed to get hits to moves guys in.

In 1st inning... it was hard hit balls right at the D. A few more like that later, but mostly just an inability to do the job. Finally broke through in our absolute last chance.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Are these rhetorical questions? They got lots of hits... got guys on... failed to get hits to moves guys in.

In 1st inning... it was hard hit balls right at the D. A few more like that later, but mostly just an inability to do the job. Finally broke through in our absolute last chance.
Leaving too many guys on base is what hurt us in the Georgia series, so no it wasnt rhetorical. This is going to be an issue that costs us more down the stretch.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Semi-rhetorical, I guess. I know how the game is played so it's just a matter of getting hits but not enough to get them to score. It's pretty unusual though to outhit someone by a wide margin and lose or win on a fluke.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Semi-rhetorical, I guess. I know how the game is played so it's just a matter of getting hits but not enough to get them to score. It's pretty unusual though to outhit someone by a wide margin and lose or win on a fluke.
Baseball is crazy. No 2 games are alike. Once you think you've seen it all... there's the next game.

I learned something last night. The walk-off hit was a (bases loaded) ground rule double... but officially a single w 1 RBI.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nothing like playing with fire. Roedig lead off walk, infield single for 1 & 3rd, no outs.

SO and DP.

Got a growler of beer (changed beer from last week)

Going to chat.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like winning the series.

VT mostly outplayed us. 9 hits to our 7. 1 errors to our 2. 10 walks to our 7 walks (and 2 HBP).

But Reid and Crawford are studs. Wish all the upperclassmen could pull their weight.

Tomorrow go for the sweep. That is sweet! Another come from behind in the 8th. We forced them to throw 158 pitches in out 8 innings with 4 pitchers. Should help for tomorrow.

I couldn't see Reid's (SFF) HR since ACCNX went off the air after 3:05 hours. Sucks. Hope there is a highlight on it, over batters eye.

Anyone know when Jenkins can come back? Hopefully, we can have him and Reid in the line up.

WREK announcers are pretty good. Wiley and Roddy were good on ACCNX while it was on.

Bartnicki starting tomorrow. VT pitcher has a 26-2 SO to BB ratio. Screw it, we're playing with house money.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

This team has proven to me that they are going to fight their *** off until the last out. It's easy to pull for a team like that and this is going to be a good year.

As much as I would like to say that a good team would have won by several runs these games, we also have to recognize that good teams find ways to win games when they are not playing their best. Clemson does it in football, Duke does it in basketball.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, VT lineup is relatively heavy with LH bats. Bartnicki should be a relatively good matchup. Relatively speaking.

Bottom line.... We're 0.1 wins away from @GTNavyNuke hitting the bullseye with his weekend win prediction. ;)

How great would it be to sweep 1st ACC series of 2020?
We’re going to be 1-0 or 0-1 in sweep games. Let’s not have a losing record to start the conference season.