Virginia Tech

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech's ACC schedule begins this weekend.
Fri 7pm
Sat 2pm
Sun 1pm

After a 1-3 start, Va Tech is 7-3 on a 6-game win streak. They have a game this afternoon (Wed) at 4pm against Marshall.

Ga Tech needs to make hay against the weaker ACC opponents coming to Russ Chandler (VT and BC). Play them one game at a time... and win all 3. Not a prediction. I won't do that... just a formula to exit weekend in a good situation.

Go Jackets!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Through 12 games... a graphical comparison of some team statistics over the last 4 years.

GTBB_17_20_BAOBPSLG - Copy.jpg
GTBB_17_20_OffProd - Copy.jpg
GTBB_17_20_Pitching - Copy.jpg

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So are 2017-2019 numbers also just the first 12 games or the entire season?
Nope. Full season numbers for 17-19 (incl post-season). Sorry...I should have made that clear. Good question.

@bwelbo ...to me the pitching numbers improving steadily 17-19 (in general) seem to correlate with increased wins over same period. AND 2019 was so good because the offense scored more along with improved pitching.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The pitching stats that Fred had tells me we better stop walking and hitting batters, or the ERA stat that looks so good may not look as good when we get to ACC play...

When a team plays "better" teams, their ERA goes up and BA down.

We've been spanked good by hopefully the best team we'll play this year. But Ohio State is pathetic so far, dropping 2 of 3 to Lipscomb last weekend to make them 3-6 averall. So who knows.

We also have to stop the wild pitches allowing base runners to advance. One uGag inning, a lead off runner got on (walk or single I don't remember). Then a wild pitch advanced him. Then two sac flies scored him. That was good baseball on their part.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Any scouting report on VT? looks like theyve lost to the best teams theyve played
I don't have any earth shattering analysis. My assumption is the preseason opinions hold enough water to say Va Tech is not a very good baseball team...VT and Pitt are predicted distant 6th/7th Coastal (preseason). History would agree with that too.

Ga Tech will be significantly better (on paper) than any team VT has faced. Here are some team stat comparisons which I'd take with a grain of salt given the difference in competition the 2 teams have faced through the first 3 weeks of the season. The numbers are very similar; but Va Tech has not faced a lineup the caliber of Ga Tech's. All that said... Ga Tech must still come out and take care of their business. It was the tale of 2 weekends v OSU and UGA the last 2 weekends.

Stat: GT / VT
Scoring: 6.6 / 6.5
BA: .278 / .276
OBP: .380 /.368
Slg%: .448 / .392

ERA: 3.31 / 2.32
WHIP: 1.22 / 1.18

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Va Tech starters...in order
Gerard (ERA 1.56)
Simonelli (ERA 2.25)
Seymour (ERA 1.26)

That's over 3 starts each. Makes sense based on team ERA posted earlier. Hopefully, our lineup can inflate these ERAs significantly this weekend.

From D1baseball's preview of the weekend, VT has won 7 in a row and Seymour is the VT pitcher to watch with 26 K's and 2 BB's in 14.1 innings.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's not hyperventilate about VT. Here is who they have played, scores and last year's rpi:

@ San Diego State L5-7 rpi 79
UNC Greensboro L 5-7 rpi 88
East Tenn State W 10-3 rpi 149
@ Louisiana L 2-0, W 3-2, W 3-0 rpi 132
Radford W 3-0 rpi 131
Bryant W 15-4, W 7-2, W 10-2 rpi 87
Marshall W 10-5 rpi 178

Can we sweep them. Sure. Can we be swept? Very very unlikely. I thinks we wins 2.

(Actually I've got us for 2.1 wins. Right now we are at 8 wins and I had guessed 8.4 at this point.)

Attachments

• Updated Ga Southern Schedule.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 9

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's not hyperventilate about VT. Here is who they have played, scores and last year's rpi:

@ San Diego State L5-7 rpi 79
UNC Greensboro L 5-7 rpi 88
East Tenn State W 10-3 rpi 149
@ Louisiana L 2-0, W 3-2, W 3-0 rpi 132
Radford W 3-0 rpi 131
Bryant W 15-4, W 7-2, W 10-2 rpi 87
Marshall W 10-5 rpi 178

Can we sweep them. Sure. Can we be swept? Very very unlikely. I thinks we wins 2.

(Actually I've got us for 2.1 wins. Right now we are at 8 wins and I had guessed 8.4 at this point.)
I'll buy you a beer (at a future date) if Ga Tech gets 2.1 wins this weekend. (y)

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan
Very difficult to sweep, especially in conference play. It might happen once or twice a season in conference play. This would probably be one of those opportunities, Va Tech is not good and we got them in ATL.
I expect two wins, anything less would be extremely disappointing.