Virginia Tech Postgame

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Totally disagree. We weren’t a bowl team last year at all. As proven when we got waxed in one of the lowest tier bowls that exist. Bowls are a joke and no longer a marker. As for player development, I’m seeing a lot of it. But the problem Collins and Key have is you can’t develop what you don’t have. We don’t have a QB and we don’t have an offensive line. I’ve coached baseball before and you either have pitchers or you don’t. No coach can develop a weak armed backup outfielder to be a pitcher. That is what you are judging Collins on? Right now, we are absolutely the definition of a dumpster fire. But this isn’t 2015 in year 8 of a system. This is year 1 with a coach who was given a few weeks to salvage whatever Johnson called a recruiting class, with zero QB’s, and the smallest OLine in P5, yet y’all are ready to run him off. Did y’all not see our guys compared to UNC’s players? We looked like a middle school team in size. Collins will fix that but he can only do it 25 players at a time.
We beat VT by 21 last year with a player that you describe as a "weak armed backup outfielder." Moreover, VT's starting defensive line averaged 6'1 and 265 pounds yesterday. Feel free to provide an excuse for why that VT DL was too large for our players to overcome.

Fact: We have dropped from 19 to 87 in offensive FEI rank. This is likely the most direct cause of the negative results on the field.
Fact: GT is 2-8 under CGC.
Fact: CGC now has a losing record as a head coach.
Fact: GT was just shut out at home for the first time in 62 years.
Fact: GT lost to the Citadel.

Objectively, the aforementioned facts are concerning. Again, you are free to disparage 18-21 year old players at your leisure, especially on this site, but please spare me the use of predictions to hand waive criticism of current results.

I don’t believe that you can do that in one cycle, but I am not the one misleading the GT fan base into thinking it could be done. To be relevant in the coastal over the next 5 years he must out recruit the rest of the coastal if he is going to stay with this offense. He isn’t doing it this cycle and if he doesn’t do it next cycle he won’t be here to find out if showing those 10th graders “GT love” paid off. Collins has been clamoring on and on since day 1 about recruiting. He isn’t delivering any better than his predecessor at the moment. He is the one that sold the GT fanbase on the idea that he could go out and get these elite recruits. Temple is a mediocre program just like it was before he got there. He didn’t build anything special there like he would have you believe. I am just pointing out that the metric (recruiting) everyone is blaming the current state of the program on isn’t trending favorably, so expecting far greater results from Collins in 3 years from now is not likely to happen.

If we had a shot a recruiting all those 4 stars, don't you think they would have flocked to Tech when Gailey was coach. A pro coach in a pro style with a lot of pro connections. The issue is the same, we have to go after a certain kid that can get in , stay in, and want one of the 35 majors we offer.

Again, if we are going to rely on recruiting and try and run a system to out talent everybody....welcome to the Gailey years. We have had a lot of 2 stars shine at Tech because we had a "SCHEME" that worked. And I include what Coach Freidgen did as a scheme. We have to out scheme our opponents which means out coach them.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
How hard is it to be patient. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was so I really don’t understand why the world is on fire. At the end of this season UGA fans will be way more disappointed about their team than I will be about GT. GT is having to rebuild from the ground up and the rules state we can only sign 25 a year. That’s basically 3 years for our coach to get players that he wants. Collins has already told us what his plan is and he is following it. And some of you want h8m to be honest - no coach is honest because if he were honest you same people would be all over him for throwing others under the bus. Here’s the honest answer he can’t say - we have a large numbers of players seeing playing time who have no business on a D1 football field. Until Collins can flip those players we will continue to lose. Wins and losses do not matte4 at this point just like they didn’t matter to Bobby Ross his first year. Keep recruiting and we’ll be fine.
Very long response and given that I almost never post, I don’t know who you are referring to as “you people”. Not having fun yet was intended to be a lighthearted response to someone saying the transition would be a fun process. But feel free to assume everything is an attack - I’m sure that’s a great way to make friends and influence people!

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
We don’t have large players and that’s a major problem in game designed on beating the man in front of you
With the lone exception of Chet Lagod, every one of our ATL OL was larger than every VT defensive lineman yesterday. We came away with 0 points.

**Edit: Lagod didn't play in the game, so every OL was larger than every VT defensive lineman.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We beat VT by 21 last year with a player that you describe as a "weak armed backup outfielder." Moreover, VT's starting defensive line averaged 6'1 and 265 pounds yesterday. Feel free to provide an excuse for why that VT DL was too large for our players to overcome.

Fact: We have dropped from 19 to 87 in offensive FEI rank. This is likely the most direct cause of the negative results on the field.
Fact: GT is 2-8 under CGC.
Fact: CGC now has a losing record as a head coach.
Fact: GT was just shut out at home for the first time in 62 years.
Fact: GT lost to the Citadel.

Objectively, the aforementioned facts are concerning. Again, you are free to disparage 18-21 year old players at your leisure, especially on this site, but please spare me the use of predictions to hand waive criticism of current results.
If I can without making you mad I'd like to add to yours facts.

Fact after 46 years my wife still can't cook.
Fact you can't win an argument with her .
Fact my kids want me to get a hearing aid but why would I want to hear her better.

Fact getting up 3 times at night is getting old.

Fact if thing ain't going good keep your sense of humor it does help.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we had a shot a recruiting all those 4 stars, don't you think they would have flocked to Tech when Gailey was coach. A pro coach in a pro style with a lot of pro connections. The issue is the same, we have to go after a certain kid that can get in , stay in, and want one of the 35 majors we offer.

Again, if we are going to rely on recruiting and try and run a system to out talent everybody....welcome to the Gailey years. We have had a lot of 2 stars shine at Tech because we had a "SCHEME" that worked. And I include what Coach Freidgen did as a scheme. We have to out scheme our opponents which means out coach them.

I've posted the numbers before, but Georgia Tech is not going to recruit 5* athletes in any volume. We *might* get a few 4*'s, but the most likely outcome is 3*'s but a different mix of what we might have been recruiting.

Bear Bryant made a comment 50 years ago and I think it's still relevant today. "The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins." That means put in a system you can execute ... not one that you hope you can execute. Talent will help but ultimately, it's the coach that matters.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Very long response and given that I almost never post, I don’t know who you are referring to as “you people”. Not having fun yet was intended to be a lighthearted response to someone saying the transition would be a fun process. But feel free to assume everything is an attack - I’m sure that’s a great way to make friends and influence people!
I'm not sure he has a sense of humor but most of us understood what you said.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The game was depressing. This thread is depressing. I am trying my damndest, truly, to give this guy a chance. I am starting to think he ought to reciprocate. We could go into the Georgia game with their NC ranking at stake, at least for a week, and it could get really ugly. I just don't see it getting much better next season. And to think what I have to look forward to is baseball ... and the Dodgers. It is hopeless.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Every OLine will be bigger than a DL so I’m not sure what point you’re trying. The fact that Chet Lagod is being relied upon to compete vs. P5 defense
Factually incorrect, Alabama (just one example) certainly has DL that are larger than other teams OL. I edited the earlier post, Lagod did not play in the game yesterday.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Even fully considering ALL the many "challenges" the program is facing, something doesn't seem right. No, I don't care to provide an itemized list because it's too long and too soon to be in that mode, but damn, as somebody important to the program said a few weeks ago wtte: We are going to get better and soon---looks and feels awfully empty.

How many times does it take to adjust to a QB running up the middle, for two consecutive games? And the high "effort" thingy that so impressed me, seems to be MIA (this is far more disturbing than the qb draws).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The game was depressing. This thread is depressing. I am trying my damndest, truly, to give this guy a chance. I am starting to think he ought to reciprocate. We could go into the Georgia game with their NC ranking at stake, at least for a week, and it could get really ugly. I just don't see it getting much better next season. And to think what I have to look forward to is baseball ... and the Dodgers. It is hopeless.

This is a classic case of "over promise, under deliver". Geoff is a smart guy. If I were him, I would have tried to manage expectations better ...

"Look, this year we are transitioning away from the TO. Very difficult. And we will have to 100% flip our roster. This year, we will be challenged on the field. I'm focusing this year on playing error-free ball and recruiting. I ask you to hang with me while we do that."

He could answer every question about a loss with ... "Yesterday was a tough day. But it's consistent with what our coaching staff described. We have players for the TO but not for the kind of team we want to have. Our play reflected that. The good news is we committed zero errors and we are doing well in recruiting. Next question ..."

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is a classic case of "over promise, under deliver". Geoff is a smart guy. If I were him, I would have tried to manage expectations better ...

"Look, this year we are transitioning away from the TO. Very difficult. And we will have to 100% flip our roster. This year, we will be challenged on the field. I'm focusing this year on playing error-free ball and recruiting. I ask you to hang with me while we do that."

He could answer every question about a loss with ... "Yesterday was a tough day. But it's consistent with what our coaching staff described. We have players for the TO but not for the kind of team we want to have. Our play reflected that. The good news is we committed zero errors and we are doing well in recruiting. Next question ..."

If he said this, folks would be up in arms that he is making excuses and throwing his players under the bus.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Factually incorrect, Alabama (just one example) certainly has DL that are larger than other teams OL. I edited the earlier post, Lagod did not play in the game yesterday.

Bama front 4

Justin Egboigbe 6’5 294lbs
DJ Dale 6’3 305
Raekwon Davis 6’7 312
Anfrenee Jennings 6’3 259

avg. 6’4.5 292.5lb

Find me an OLine smaller and please say GT to prove our point