Virginia Tech Postgame

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We hav 7 OL commits on the way....averaging 6 ft 4 and 287 pounds...help is coming.
Plenty of other teams in FBS have large players. It takes coaching as well to put a good product on the field. Those thinking getting larger o line solves everything are in for a rude Awakening.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You seriously think we can go from recruiting low 3* to high 4* in one cycle? It took Saban longer than that at Bama. The main benefits of Collins connections and recruiting will come down the road as most of these high 4* kids never heard from our previous coach. The key for GT are those kids in 9th and 10th grade who are getting GT love early. That’s what recruiting is all about. Any coach can reach out to stud seniors but the coach who lands them are the ones who have been showing them love when no one else was. Collins is good at that but the payoff is down the road (hence the 7 year contract).
You may want to check Saban was 7-6 his first year ( which we would take ) and 2nd year was 12-2 and 3rd year 14-0 .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In other words, the approach matters. Thank you.

Never said it didn't. In fact, I said "I get that". But predicting that an approach will get better results than another (make Tennessee more relevant in two years) while ignoring the other factors involved in those approaches is not very meaningful as to which approach is better. There are many factors favoring Tennessee in its recruiting. Collins is swimming upstream against a far stronger current that Pruitt. But we'll see what happens.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of other teams in FBS have large players. It takes coaching as well to put a good product on the field. Those thinking getting larger o line solves everything are in for a rude Awakening.

You're right, it isn't just size but strength and ability. But size is where it starts. We are both undersized and under-strengthed.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You're describing the situation as if we're Rutgers. This was a bowl team a year ago with average recruiting classes in the 40s. We were just shutout at home for the first time since the early years of the Cold War, and we lost to an FCS team for the first time in 30 years. Objectively, there are reasons for concern.

Frankly, we're closer to being 0-10 than 3-7. Thank your deity of choice that USF fumbled and Miami's field goal kickers had the yips. We just lost by 45 to a team we beat 49-28 last year. That's a 66 point swing in a calendar year.

Let's say your premise that wins and losses don't matter is true. Does player development matter over the course of the season? We don't seem to have that at all. The inconsistency is troubling. Delay of game penalties on the first snap are concerning. Time management is concerning. Game awareness is concerning. Plenty to objectively be concerned about that can't be hand waived away with lines about recruiting.

You're free to trash the players as much as you would like, especially on this site, but the lion share of the criticism should remain on the individuals that are paid. Ultimately, they are most accountable.

Totally disagree. We weren’t a bowl team last year at all. As proven when we got waxed in one of the lowest tier bowls that exist. Bowls are a joke and no longer a marker. As for player development, I’m seeing a lot of it. But the problem Collins and Key have is you can’t develop what you don’t have. We don’t have a QB and we don’t have an offensive line. I’ve coached baseball before and you either have pitchers or you don’t. No coach can develop a weak armed backup outfielder to be a pitcher. That is what you are judging Collins on? Right now, we are absolutely the definition of a dumpster fire. But this isn’t 2015 in year 8 of a system. This is year 1 with a coach who was given a few weeks to salvage whatever Johnson called a recruiting class, with zero QB’s, and the smallest OLine in P5, yet y’all are ready to run him off. Did y’all not see our guys compared to UNC’s players? We looked like a middle school team in size. Collins will fix that but he can only do it 25 players at a time.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year's Virginia Tech game was pretty awesome.. Scored 49 points and only attempted 1 pass that was incomplete...

Of course it helps when your "would have been a star" quarterback rushes for 220 yards, and the team rushes for 470 yards and 7 rushing touchdowns.

Hard to believe it's only one year removed from that.

The good news is NC State sucks really bad too... Chance for a competitive game next week.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Totally disagree. We weren’t a bowl team last year at all. As proven when we got waxed in one of the lowest tier bowls that exist. Bowls are a joke and no longer a marker. As for player development, I’m seeing a lot of it. But the problem Collins and Key have is you can’t develop what you don’t have. We don’t have a QB and we don’t have an offensive line. I’ve coached baseball before and you either have pitchers or you don’t. No coach can develop a weak armed backup outfielder to be a pitcher. That is what you are judging Collins on? Right now, we are absolutely the definition of a dumpster fire. But this isn’t 2015 in year 8 of a system. This is year 1 with a coach who was given a few weeks to salvage whatever Johnson called a recruiting class, with zero QB’s, and the smallest OLine in P5, yet y’all are ready to run him off. Did y’all not see our guys compared to UNC’s players? We looked like a middle school team in size. Collins will fix that but he can only do it 25 players at a time.
I dont want Collins gone, just need him to be more transparent with the ongoing progress inside the program that WE fund.... it's our fking program too and he acts like it's some big damn secret illuminati organization. Also, yes P'nut is garbage and needs to be canned. Send him back to Temple

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
When I was at Tech, there were pages and pages devoted to Tech coverage. Probably four at least. Now? One? Maybe ....

The AJC was more Tech friendly then.

In all fairness, with print media dying, the AJC is 1/10 the size it used to be. Even though we are getting less coverage, it is probably the same proportion...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Thank you GT Swarm for the ignore feature. Getting more and more impossible to have any kind of reasoned conversation on here :(

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
My wife & I were on the curb at the Jackets FB players walk to the stadium,,, She is not very football knowledgeable, but she made the comment that the players looked small!! Even she noticed!!
The game was a great disappointment, (worse than the Citadel,) but we'll try to remain positive!!

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Scott frost at Nebraska is loaded with good talent and wasn't moving from the triple option and they still can't win.

There are so many variables to winning.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
You seriously think we can go from recruiting low 3* to high 4* in one cycle? It took Saban longer than that at Bama. The main benefits of Collins connections and recruiting will come down the road as most of these high 4* kids never heard from our previous coach. The key for GT are those kids in 9th and 10th grade who are getting GT love early. That’s what recruiting is all about. Any coach can reach out to stud seniors but the coach who lands them are the ones who have been showing them love when no one else was. Collins is good at that but the payoff is down the road (hence the 7 year contract).

I don’t believe that you can do that in one cycle, but I am not the one misleading the GT fan base into thinking it could be done. To be relevant in the coastal over the next 5 years he must out recruit the rest of the coastal if he is going to stay with this offense. He isn’t doing it this cycle and if he doesn’t do it next cycle he won’t be here to find out if showing those 10th graders “GT love” paid off. Collins has been clamoring on and on since day 1 about recruiting. He isn’t delivering any better than his predecessor at the moment. He is the one that sold the GT fanbase on the idea that he could go out and get these elite recruits. Temple is a mediocre program just like it was before he got there. He didn’t build anything special there like he would have you believe. I am just pointing out that the metric (recruiting) everyone is blaming the current state of the program on isn’t trending favorably, so expecting far greater results from Collins in 3 years from now is not likely to happen.