Virginia Tech Postgame

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty simple. We are severely outmatched at the LOS. This was obvious right off the bat, similar to the UNC game. VT just completely dwarfed us at nearly every position.

I have a lot of faith in Collins. I believe he is doing a great job laying the foundations for his program. But he has to address the LOS issues quickly or he risks the turnaround taking too long. He has to close out this year's recruiting class with some interior defensive lineman. We can be respectable on defense next year if we can bring in Jayson Jones, Lee comes back, and add Clayton to the mix.

Milwaukee

Banned
The “coach speak” is not doing Collins any favors right now. He wouldn’t even answer Wally’s first question on our post game show about what he said to the team after the game. “What I say to the team stay in the locker room...blah, blah, blah....” Coach, a bit of advise, look to Bobby Cremins as to what to say to your supporters. “I didn’t have them prepared. It’s on me. I’ll work to make it better in the future.....” You can do the coach speak thing when you’re winning or when you’re Nick Saban or Bill Bellichick, but it’s comical when you’re 2-8.

The line about the greatest transition is college football history is 1) a direct shot at a HOF coach and 2) apparently a reference to going from a coach with a clue to one that has none.

I was very supportive of Coach Collins in the off season and the “excitement” he brought to the program and the fact that he wanted to be here and had been here before were huge pluses. But he needs to start taking some blame and telling the PA guy to cut with the “Money Down” crap when we’re down by 31 in the first half. Be a little humble, take some blame, admit the season has sucked and you approached the offensive in the wrong manner and look forward to a brighter future. He’s losing me in the press conferences and I’ve been going to games over 40+ years.

I did stay for the whole game with my daughter. What can I say, we’re gluttons for punishment. But then, we’re Georgia Tech fans, so we should be used to it by now.

He knows the season has sucked, he doesnt give a damn that you think that he's not aware of that fact. Thank God. Be patient, have some foresight. One season isn't enough to make an educated decision one way or the other.

Relax.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It will be a blowout. I’m thinking 63-0.
I’m thinking they take it easy on us and pull their starters fairly early. They have a big game the next week. Bama lost Tua for the season because they left him in slightly too long today. That was a warning for everyone else. I could see a 38-3 type game. They could name a score if they really wanted to though.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin, what do you think CGC’s ceiling is?

CGC has an opportunity to do something great at GT. He is a hell of a marketer. He is the type of personality that we need. Atlanta has become an amazing city. It is soooooo much better than when I was here. Midtown is just so lively. There no matter what. Not everyone has it. But we have seen it here in the last 20 years. And I think we’ve seen it here 2.5 times. 1. Fridge 2. CPJ. 1/2 O’Brien.

This is a problem. You can hire a decent marketer for 150K. We hired CGC to coach football. If he wants to be a marketer, fine. But we’re paying for a coach to coach full time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep, that AA.

Did Todd deliver a new locker room? No. CPJ, over the objections of MBob, called influential alumni begging for money. One said, “No problem.”

The recruiting money is nice. The new Edge? That benefits the AA by consolidating offices more than football, but regardless ... it wouldn’t have been complete until after Paul’s planned retirement.

Twelve years of struggle is enough.

I don't disagree that Paul earned saying enough is enough after the Sasquatch years, but he had a contract through at least 2021 and there are multiple resources he would have had at his disposal that occurred/are occurring under Todd's watch. There's a clear commitment in place and CPJ could have chosen to stay, which would've been fine by me.

I'm sorry you aren't a fan of Todd Stansbury and all of the positive initiatives he's driving. I see there won't be any reasoning with someone who nonchalantly says "The recruiting money is nice".

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I knew it was going to be a long day, a quick the team was coming on the field and Buzz and the player carrying the flag ran into each other...we can't even run onto the field correctly.
Yep, clipped Glanton's foot as Buzz tried to slide out. Didn't notice who picked up the flag and charged on.
I was worried that Glanton may have been hurt, thankfully he wasn't.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
He knows the season has sucked, he doesnt give a damn that you think that he's not aware of that fact. Thank God. Be patient, have some foresight. One season isn't enough to make an educated decision one way or the other.

Relax.

He better give a damn what alums and season ticket holders think. In my group of friends, one is still all in and the others all think he’s in well over his head. When the stadium is less than half full and empties at half time because his team looks like they’re over matched by a bad VT team or his coaches can’t figure out how to get a first down, he damn well better care about losing his fan base. Not that we are FSU or Arkansas, but leashes are a lot shorter these days than when we suffered through the early Curry years and the Bill Lewis years. Next year isn’t going to be much better due to a tough schedule, so he better learn to be humble because he has certainly been humbled his year.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
He better give a damn what alums and season ticket holders think. In my group of friends, one is still all in and the others all think he’s in well over his head. When the stadium is less than half full and empties at half time because his team looks like they’re over matched by a bad VT team or his coaches can’t figure out how to get a first down, he damn well better care about losing his fan base. Not that we are FSU or Arkansas, but leashes are a lot shorter these days than when we suffered through the early Curry years and the Bill Lewis years. Next year isn’t going to be much better due to a tough schedule, so he better learn to be humble because he has certainly been humbled his year.

Dude our stadium has been half empty for 3-4 years. Did you see any game last year at home? News flash there may be 10 teams in all of football that sell out being 2-7.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree that Paul earned saying enough is enough after the Sasquatch years, but he had a contract through at least 2021 and there are multiple resources he would have had at his disposal that occurred/are occurring under Todd's watch. There's a clear commitment in place and CPJ could have chosen to stay, which would've been fine by me.

I'm sorry you aren't a fan of Todd Stansbury and all of the positive initiatives he's driving. I see there won't be any reasoning with someone who nonchalantly says "The recruiting money is nice".

I’ve met Todd. We were actually in school together and I met him at AA functions since. We know a lot of the same people and players.

It’s one thing to like someone. But has the AA fundamentally changed under his leadership? No. Do I hope it does? Yes. Would I tell him that he’s not transforming it? Yes. Did I? Yes. Will he? I doubt it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I like what you say but ... he doesn’t care what the fans think. He cares what Todd thinks and the big donors. And none of them care if anyone shows up at BDS because the ACCN money will cover it.

And this is not just Geoff. It’s everywhere.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Dude our stadium has been half empty for 3-4 years. Did you see any game last year at home? News flash there may be 10 teams in all of football that sell out being 2-7.

Yes, I’ve been going to games for 40+ years and have rarely seen our stadium full, even when I was a student during our last national title season in 1990. I’m saying he better care that it is getting worse and losing 3/4s of those at half time isn’t going to help anything. He needs to cut the coach speak and explain the issues to the fans and how he’s going to correct it. He’s close to losing most of the support he garnered during his first six months.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Relax.
I do believe that is one of the things that so many got mad at CPJ for saying. ( and yes I know you were Not one of them ) I agree one season is not enough to make a call that would be dumb. But i'st kind of taking a 3 page test and you have no idea of an answers on the first page, It's not looking good. Not sure how it looked on TV but sitting in the stadium I saw things after the plays the showed me a lot of players did not care. Hope it's was a one time thing but we'll know more the next 2 weeks.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Since this the VT post game vent,
Has the 2nd and inches that turned into 4th and about 18 been addressed.
What kind of play call where the QB starts under center, goes in motion, gets in the Wildcat, and then snap it over the RB’s head. Why not a QB sneak?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I do believe that is one of the things that so many got mad at CPJ for saying. ( and yes I know you were Not one of them ) I agree one season is not enough to make a call that would be dumb. But i'st kind of taking a 3 page test and you have no idea of an answers on the first page, It's not looking good. Not sure how it looked on TV but sitting in the stadium I saw things after the plays the showed me a lot of players did not care. Hope it's was a one time thing but we'll know more the next 2 weeks.

My brother law went to Texas A&M. My brother took him to an Alabama game and he said “This is what I want for A&M!” That was before they were in the SEC.

Most people have an expectation of the college football experience. Ours is trending down ... and it’s reflected in live attendance.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I’ve been going to games for 40+ years and have rarely seen our stadium full, even when I was a student during our last national title season in 1990. I’m saying he better care that it is getting worse and losing 3/4s of those at half time isn’t going to help anything. He needs to cut the coach speak and explain the issues to the fans and how he’s going to correct it. He’s close to losing most of the support he garnered during his first six months.

That's not what will happen. Collins knows we are in the ATL we have fare weather fans. Like you said even in 1990 we didn't sell out. So he's not losing anyone. If we start off next season 6-0 and we have a noon game it will be half empty. If it's a night game it will be a close sell out. Just how it is until we are good for a 4-5 year stretch

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I feared this result, though it was pretty much payback for 4 straight years of defeat for the Turkies. I have one comment on the above, however.

Soem have bemoaned out D performance and I see some pointing to the lack of DL depth. I couldn't agree more. We tried to address this twice, with Gore and, especially, with Woody. If you have a traditionally hard time recruiting DL space eaters, then switch to a three man front, emphasize speed, and go after LBs who can fill in. I was sorta looking forward to seeing how Woody's D would have worked out this year. Even with our injuries, we could have had a three man front of scholarship players and his D might have been interesting to watch. Oth, maybe not …

Given the penchant Collins has shown for LBs and big DBs this year, I wonder if we might be planning something like that down the road. If we continue to have trouble bringing in space eater types it would be the obvious course to take. We'll see.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

7-3 is a bad team now?

Milwaukee

Banned

He doesn't care what you 3 think right now I promise, and thank God he doesn't. He's more concerned about macro not so much about Jimmy's opinion from the stands today. Foresight is crucial. Learn it.