Virginia Tech Postgame

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Look, I have heard that off field, Geoff is a tough, but fair, coach and he’s committed. All good. And I get the roster. But he hyped it up and the optics are just terrible.

I am concerned about losing the fan base. It was bad in 1980. But it wasn’t this bad.

Yeah, he just should’ve just said this roster was trash and team has more holes in than a dozen of glaze

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is just wrong. There are plenty of run-forward offenses that are not CPJ’s. There are plenty of option schemes that are not CPJ’s. What Pnut currently does is open to a more effective mix than what we do. The problem is less with offensive “style” and more with teaching players how to execute what you need them to do.

Which offenses allow for the team to basically ignore the passing game? To put this in perspective, last year we averaged 9 pass attempts per game good for 129th out of 130. Maryland was 125th and they averaged over double our attempts at 20 per game. Miami was 102nd and passed 3 times more per game than we did. The only teams with comparable passing attempts were the ones that ran our offense or very close facsimiles of. Willi Fritz at tulane, who people point to as the "non Johnson coaching tree option" passed it 24 times per game last year. And that was a yearly thing. No offense came close to the extremes we did except those that basically ran what we do.

You say the problem is with teaching players how to execute, but that isn't a one year thing. There is a reason OLmen generally redshirt and often don't start until their junior year anyways. Because getting them to execute correctly takes multiple years. And the fact that our previous offense didn't even try to teach them most of the things we are asking them to do now makes it no wonder why they aren't learning it any quicker. Same holds true for Wrs, QBs, etc. So when our OLmen can't block worth a damn, our WRs can't get separation or make catches, and you want to blame that on coaching, then realize that most of those guys were coached longer under Johnson than they were under Pnut.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have no bs lol. Collins is our coach if he fails it will be 10+ years before we are relevant again. If that. So I want him to succeed unlike most

I think you nailed it. But Geoff, IMO, is not caring what his approach is ... doing to the fan base. Not good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he just should’ve just said this roster was trash and team has more holes in than a dozen of glaze

That’s a false choice and that’s the what usually gets people fired. There’s a happy medium recognizing the difficulty of the current situation and a goal to over deliver on that.

Do you call it trash? No. You say, “We’re challenged this year.” What you DONT do is talk about “elite”, “world class football”, blah blah blah and raise expectations knowing ... you have a weak roster.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think you nailed it. But Geoff, IMO, is not caring what his approach is ... doing to the fan base. Not good.

The fan base hated Paul's approach too. Said he was smug and arrogant about his offense not willing to change. Geoff is polar opposite. If he was winning no one would say a damn word. For example if we won under Paul everyone loved his cockiness if we lost they hated it. Last week's press conference after competing with UVA everyone was drooling over how positive Collins is. Now we get blown out and they hate it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The fan base hated Paul's approach too. Said he was smug and arrogant about his offense not willing to change. Geoff is polar opposite. If he was winning no one would say a damn word. For example if we won under Paul everyone loved his cockiness if we lost they hated it. Last week's press conference after competing with UVA everyone was drooling over how positive Collins is. Now we get blown out and they hate it.

Welcome to dealing with the public.

I will say this. I never met one fan in the seats who disliked the TO. Not one. I met dozens in the suites who hated it, even when it won. Go figure.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You must not remember us quitting against air force in the bowl game when the entire offense was joking around on the sidelines.
Yes but that was a bowl game and I really could careless about a bowl game. Look All I said was today was the first time this year I saw this team quit. If it's the only game fine but if it happens the next 2 games we have a problem. Then you have to do one of two things fire the coach or run the players off that are causing the problem. Running the coach off ain't going to happen. ( Again it was the first time this year, a problem yes, if it happens the last two game someone better find the problem)

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Back to the game, I think Patenaude called a bad game: it’s tough to call a game with multiple guys getting through every play but some of the concepts were bad ideas. That stretch zone play got demolished multiple times for losses and we went back to it.
We got the delay penalty on the first play of the game and then later killed a drive with one.
The defense got worked but we went 3 and out our first 4 drives? That’s pathetic. If we could have mustered any sort of sustained offense they score less by virtue of how time works. I know we have limitations depth and talent wise, but it looks like we are running plays instead of a system, if that makes any sense.

On the defense, we truly looked outmatched at every spot. I think the will is there but man, I don’t want to dog anyone, but let’s just say it isn’t our concepts that are bad. We played a lot of guys at least.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to dealing with the public.

I will say this. I never met one fan in the seats who disliked the TO. Not one. I met dozens in the suites who hated it, even when it won. Go figure.

I met several tech fans who hated our offense. One guy was screaming at Paul directly in front of me during the vad Lee years that he killed our program

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I met several tech fans who hated our offense. One guy was screaming at Paul directly in front of me during the vad Lee years that he killed our program

Paul didn’t kill our program.

I ran companies during my career. Fairly big ones. And the key issue always was “What is our operating model and are we absolutely committed to its success?”

Was Tech “absolutely committed” to the TO? No. The donors sure weren’t. The AA wasn’t. So I can understand any coach’s frustration under those circumstances.

If any fan has a problem with our program, they need to look at the AA.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

I ran companies during my career. Fairly big ones. And the key issue always was “What is our operating model and are we absolutely committed to its success?”

Was Tech “absolutely committed” to the TO? No. The donors sure weren’t. The AA wasn’t. So I can understand any coach’s frustration under those circumstances.

I agree completely. I wish they were committed to him.

slugboy

Staff member
That’s a false choice and that’s the what usually gets people fired. There’s a happy medium recognizing the difficulty of the current situation and a goal to over deliver on that.

Do you call it trash? No. You say, “We’re challenged this year.” What you DONT do is talk about “elite”, “world class football”, blah blah blah and raise expectations knowing ... you have a weak roster.
I think Collins uses words like “transformation” the way you use “challenged”. I don’t think fans hear it the way he’s trying to say it.
“Elite” and “world class football” are goals, but they won’t fit into 2019, unfortunately.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Honestly thought it was quick clock but this ABSOLUTELY CANNOT HAPPEN!!! Especially when your plays are scripted

Not a quick clock. VT was on the field ready to go. GT was on the sidelines voting. Refs waited patiently and then started the clock. The voting continued. Then the players came out, lined up, and looked to the sidelines for a play (votes were being counted). At this point there were about 4 seconds on the play clock (but it was a secret as no one was watching). We used a 5 second snap count and got the penalty. Refs were not the problem. Guess who were the problem? (there was more than one).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins uses words like “transformation” the way you use “challenged”. I don’t think fans hear it the way he’s trying to say it.
“Elite” and “world class football” are goals, but they won’t fit into 2019, unfortunately.

You may be right. But surely Tech has media people saying, “Geoff? Are you sure you want to say that?”

Leaving media strategy to a coach is not a good idea.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The AA where Todd Stansbury began a variety of fundraising activities & resources that Paul Johnson would have had at his disposal had he not retired, such as the new locker room, the 2-year recruiting initiative, and the improved facilities once the new Edge Center is built?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not a quick clock. VT was on the field ready to go. GT was on the sidelines voting. Refs waited patiently and then started the clock. The voting continued. Then the players came out, lined up, and looked to the sidelines for a play (votes were being counted). At this point there were about 4 seconds on the play clock (but it was a secret as no one was watching). We used a 5 second snap count and got the penalty. Refs were not the problem. Guess who were the problem? (there was more than one).
A few drives later they waited to start the clock until VT came out and lined up. Didn’t make any difference, but it seemed sketchy to me.