Virginia Tech Postgame

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We are still 4-4. We are still 5th in our division, and the move fans have been begging Johnson to make for weeks makes it looks like sometimes the fans really do know better. At least for one game. It was a great game. But just that. A game. It'll take 7 wins probably for some people to start really coming back, and we'd probably have to win out before everyone is back on the train. Going 8-4 with a win at UGA would actually feel like we're building something. 6-6 and a low end bowl? Not so much.
Meh, every fan base of a struggling team clamors for the backup qb. I’m pretty sure a healthy TM would have had a field day tonight as well with the way our OL was moving the LOS.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so queue up the , we need to pass the football idiots. When you rush for 7 yards per carry, no you don't. If we don't make stupid mistakes and don't fumble we can beat anybody.

When you have a QB that gets downhill, hits the hole fast, and breaks arm tackles you’ll have success. I have no doubt we would have beaten duke by 2 scores last week with Oliver at QB. We also would have beaten Pitt and probably USF. Sad that it took so long.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Meh, every fan base of a struggling team clamors for the backup qb. I’m pretty sure a healthy TM would have had a field day tonight as well with the way our OL was moving the LOS.

I agree that TM would have done well tonight also, but I do think TO gives us a "Nesbitt-lite" quality that helps. When he gets tackled, he usually gets another yard or so. When TM gets tackled, many times he goes backwards. If we are going to have to live with NO passing game, then I would rather have the guy who is stronger and can get that extra yard. Just me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Hard to believe this was the same team that looked so bad against Duke just 10 days ago. It seems to me that Oliver is more decisive and faster to the line than Marshall especially on the midline. People watching on tv don't really understand how hard it is to stop that play and how much pressure it puts on the defensive tackles and linebackers. Hit this one? or that one? Uh oh, wrong guy now they are gone. The speed at which this offense was coming at an inexperienced defense is really tough to replicate in practice. Obviously, not one of Bud's better nights. I was kind of surprised to see them a little bit off the line of scrimmage and not up on it gambling with the safety like they have done in the past. Question: Should Oliver be the starter now or does Coach Johnson go back to Marshall? Quarterback controversy brewing or was it just TO's time and TaQuon gets his job back next week?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I agree that TM would have done well tonight also, but I do think TO gives us a "Nesbitt-lite" quality that helps. When he gets tackled, he usually gets another yard or so. When TM gets tackled, many times he goes backwards. If we are going to have to live with NO passing game, then I would rather have the guy who is stronger and can get that extra yard. Just me.
Sead Bedford said Oliver was reminding him of Nesbitt tonight. High praise coming from a man who snapped to JFN.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

But we'll never know. Oliver shredded them. Maybe against UNC, TM is better. Let's find out.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
We ran double option, midline and load option too.
Definitely a pared down version of the offense.

I don't know that we ever run too much stuff against Bud. PJ knows stuff works, so he says, "let's just run 5 plays really, really well." Consider the Joshua-Broken-Arm game back in 2010: we literally ran nothing but zone dive and triple option the whole first half and were on our way to dominating them until The Arm.

Yah. I don’t recall any triple at all but I was chasing my 3 year old and may have missed it.
Fun game but hopefully the extremely limited playbook is more about just sticking with what works than TO’s inability to do the rest.

I hope so, too. I didn't see any triple either, and falling down on your first past attempt on national TV is a bit embarassing. But that aside, the plays TO ran he did really well with. We didn't have any explosion plays tonight, but you don't always need them when you can execute and not put the ball on the ground. We will definitely need some explosion plays down the road against Miami and UGA.