Virginia Tech Postgame

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
"I wish we could get people like this at Bobby Dodd to come out and support us like this", referring to the VPI game experience. Sad, but true. Our gold seat group might be great donors, but they do not know how stay in their place and make noise.
Not only that but it has a direct impact on recruiting. Would love to get Joshua Braun in the white & gold too. When Josh takes a visit to Florida & sees & hears that kind of turnout, let's just say it doesn't help our chances.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not only that but it has a direct impact on recruiting. Would love to get Joshua Braun in the white & gold too. When Josh takes a visit to Florida & sees & hears that kind of turnout, let's just say it doesn't help our chances.

No doubt. We may not have as big of a fanbase as we would like, but we could still be a more rowdy and fun fanbase, but unfortunately, old engineers don't tend to be fun. :) I am one, so hopefully, I am not offending anyone. I just happen to be one that will stay in my seat, get up and cheer, and make as much noise as I can.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 9.45.02 PM.png

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Defense played really well after those first three drives. Only gave up 323 yards and 216 of those came on those first 3 drives that turned into TD’s. That means we held them to 89 yards in 3 quarters because they had another 18 yards on the other 2 drives in the 1st.

Edit: the 18 yards I was reverting to in the last 2 drives of this first actually took place in the 2nd.

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Defense played really well after those first three drives. Only gave up 323 yards and 216 of those came on those first 3 drives that turned into TD’s. That means we held them to 89 yards in 3 quarters because they had another 18 yards on the other 2 drives in the 1st.
We need a way to start faster for sure. I am really proud of them stepping up after the first three drives.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
We need a way to start faster for sure. I am really proud of them stepping up after the first three drives.
Us doubling up and scoring before and after the half was huge. My big question after our first score in the second half was, have we made any adjustments and can we stop them in this half? Our d responded and gave our o the chance to keep milking the clock and wearing down their d. I love when our o shows we can score quickly, but 7 min drive after 7 min drive throughout the game makes it move for me. TO did a great job tonight, and really grasped the playbook more than what I expected. That being said, I loved the fact that 16 had his helmet on the whole game, and he was there to lead the team the whole game. No matter who was coming off the field, it seemed like TM was there to encourage him. He didn’t play a snap, but I guarantee internally, that guy helped lead the team tonight.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not on the CPJ train given 11 years of history. But I'd love for us to go to a bowl and see if the last few years have been an anomaly. CPJ stays if we can get to a bowl IMHO.

We need a QB who can run AND pass.

Be careful there, buddy! Don't you know winning/losing validates someone's position?

One loss, and the CPJ haters come flooding out. One win, and the CPJ defenders run off the CPJ haters.

It's a vicious cycle.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No offense to TM, but if he’s the starter next week, CPJ is crazy.

I can understand why CPJ wants TQM as the starter. The variety of plays CPJ is able to call with TQM is more varied, and TQM seems to be a good passer when given time....

...BUT, there's just something about TO. He just has a knack for finding creases, and breaking into an opening.

We need to be careful about drawing conclusions after one game (see TQM after the 2017 Tennessee game). TO doesn't have a lot of game tape for DCs to game plan for. Also, as I alluded to in the GT/VT prediction thread, this isn't the typical VT defense. It's young, and they play atypically dumb (see all those personal foul penalties).

The real test for TO will come in the following weeks as now he's the presumed starter, and DCs start game planning around what they've seen.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Take always:
We are better than our record indicates.
Good OL push and no turnovers is a good thing.
Our defense was non existent the first three series.
Oliver is hard to bring down.
Didn’t see many 2nd or 3rd and longs.
We played smart football.
Foster and Fuente got schooled.
Seemed like we began the death march in the second quarter.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
"I wish we could get people like this at Bobby Dodd to come out and support us like this", referring to the VPI game experience. Sad, but true. Our gold seat group might be great donors, but they do not know how stay in their place and make noise.

I think comparing a night game in Blacksburg vs. a nooner at BDS is apples and oranges. BDS at night imo is a great game environment too. My neighbor has season tickets and is an alum of the closest SEC school. FWIW, he says that he (and most of his tailgate crew) have stopped going to the noon games, which tee off at 11 AM due to central time.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Damn good game last night. I like how CPJ had all of us and the media fooled that TQM was starting. Oliver had this offense looking very good last night, and honestly I think we have a great dual threat opportunity here. Oliver and TQM run very different versions of this offense and I think future teams could be confused on who gets the start. One of the things I said a few weeks ago is that CPJ had me worried because he wasn't making adjustments to fix the issues, well we got one of those wishes last night. Lets enjoy the win, VTs D looked horrible and I was concerned about ours, but man that muffed punt really turned the game around. Lets finish the season strong and hopefully then we can get a sense of the big picture before talking about keeping or letting CPJ retire