Virginia Tech - 1/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Welp, you guys' reaction saved me from watching my dvr of the game.

I feel sorry for CBG. Like asking an intern to run a company. He'll try his darndest but he's just miscast in his role.

I do as well and like @LibertyTurns said, "For our players".

While I'll still watch our games, I've become numb in my hope and excitement. This pisses me off more than anything.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I do as well and like @LibertyTurns said, "For our players".

While I'll still watch our games, I've become numb in my hope and excitement. This pisses me off more than anything.

Me too.
I've missed more games this year than maybe the last 10 years combined.

I did get to watch Cinci/Temple today though, great game.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Welp, you guys' reaction saved me from watching my dvr of the game.

I feel sorry for CBG. Like asking an intern to run a company. He'll try his darndest but he's just miscast in his role.

I think it's worse than that. It's like hiring an intern to run a company, and then telling him that all you can afford is interns to be the rest of the management team.

Bad financial decisions going back to Clough/Braine mean that we can't afford to compete at a high level in basketball or football.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just watched the 2nd half. Glad I read this thread first because it'll save me the time rehashing the same stuff. A few things.

First - :vomit:

Second - I'll continue with this since I think there are still blind double-double lovers... Charles Mitchell is a liability with his decision making. He has turned the ball over far too much in general, microcosm being the -4 point swing + awful fouls down the stretch today. He generally takes 2-3 unmakable shots per game, which count as turnovers in my book.

Third - Jorg played well in the first 10 min of the 2nd half. He was benched until for the last 10 min or so until the last 30 seconds.

Fourth - Lammers may be our most valuable player behind MGH and Smith. 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks today in 17 min. I repeat, 17 min.

Summary - CBG cannot control what is within his control.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the 2nd half. Glad I read this thread first because it'll save me the time rehashing the same stuff. A few things.

First - :vomit:

Second - I'll continue with this since I think there are still blind double-double lovers... Charles Mitchell is a liability with his decision making. He has turned the ball over far too much in general, microcosm being the -4 point swing + awful fouls down the stretch today. He generally takes 2-3 unmakable shots per game, which count as turnovers in my book.

Third - Jorg played well in the first 10 min of the 2nd half. He was benched until for the last 10 min or so until the last 30 seconds.

Fourth - Lammers may be our most valuable player behind MGH and Smith. 6 points, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks today in 17 min. I repeat, 17 min.

Summary - CBG cannot control what is within his control.

Thanks. I'm not as down on Mitchell as you. But, I get it. His rebounds didn't happen by accident.

The reason, imo, that Chuck, and Adam and Jax etc try to do too much is that they don't have a coherent offense to trust.

Besides, if they get hot, they'll get pulled frim the game.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I posted this on TOS...

We had a 10 point lead and were in control of the game with a little over 4 minutes in the game and Mitchell took over the game....and not in a good way. His decision making was like that of a true freshman that was on the court for the very first time.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah those Mitchell mistakes are inexcusable at the middle school level. He missed a few wide open layups and free throws too. Really not the day you need from a senior leader in a must win game.

In years past I'd have let it ruin my day, but I just clicked the "X" on the ESPN3 feed and moved on to the next thing.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah those Mitchell mistakes are inexcusable at the middle school level. He missed a few wide open layups and free throws too. Really not the day you need from a senior leader in a must win game.

In years past I'd have let it ruin my day, but I just clicked the "X" on the ESPN3 feed and moved on to the next thing.

This pretty much epitomizes the numbness to tech basketball and losses we have all become accustom to. Tech basketball is dead and will be for at least 2-3 more years because of contracts and financials. I typically hate seeing tech lose in any sport, but now I am almost completely not bothered by a loss in basketball. Which is terrible.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Did anyone see the look on Gregory's face after the game? He looked like he was about to get sick.

This might be the most discouraging loss in his tenure for me. I know we've had some bad losses, but something about this loss is worse than just about any imo. It's almost like Gregory knew that was it.
Sure it felt like a hard kick to his 'nads...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
KS @ajc made a good point to part of the problem, specifically lack of GT getting to the FT line in the ACC losses.
"I do think Tech has trouble drawing fouls. Forward Charles Mitchell, for instance, favors a hook shot in the post, a shot that will typically not draw contact. Guards Josh Heath and Adam Smith have a tough time going strong enough to the rim to get calls to go their way."

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
The program under Gregory is never building to anything. The top four players this year in minutes played are seniors and three are transfers. There have been a series of 1 and done transfers - what's the point if the team is still terrible? Recruit Tech guys, play them, and live with the consequences. If the team is going to be in the bottom quarter of the league and miss the tournament, I would rather it be with guys we have gotten to know.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
KS @ajc made a good point to part of the problem, specifically lack of GT getting to the FT line in the ACC losses.
"I do think Tech has trouble drawing fouls. Forward Charles Mitchell, for instance, favors a hook shot in the post, a shot that will typically not draw contact. Guards Josh Heath and Adam Smith have a tough time going strong enough to the rim to get calls to go their way."
Fwiw, I've been beating this drum for a while. This is basketball 101. There are generally three things at work against us in ACC play:
  • Lack of natural aggressiveness
  • Lack of coached aggressiveness (i.e., gameplan)
  • Lack of athleticism compared to our opponent
All lead to fewer free throws than our opposition. I don't think the third point was a factor in the VT game.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not much left to say.. Dreadful second half against VT in a game that we had to win. Just extremely disheartening to be letdown like that.

You just simply cannot lose that game, and to lose it in the fashion we did is even more sickening. Where do you start with the mishaps??

In a second half full of miscues, I think that the back-to-back turnovers by Mitchell on inbounds plays were the back breaker.

That gave VT hope and it caused us to complete our nut-up job.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not much left to say.. Dreadful second half against VT in a game that we had to win. Just extremely disheartening to be letdown like that.

You just simply cannot lose that game, and to lose it in the fashion we did is even more sickening. Where do you start with the mishaps??

In a second half full of miscues, I think that the back-to-back turnovers by Mitchell on inbounds plays were the back breaker.

That gave VT hope and it caused us to complete our nut-up job.

We get it. It was a bad game. But, do you really need to come on here and bash our team and coach 3 days later?

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Gets the award for weirdest post of the year from me. I think he's joking but ... I just don't know. It sounds like what c62 would usually say to him ... which is probably the joke but ... I don't know who we are anymore. :unsure:

I assume it's a joke as well. At least I hope so

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I assume it's a joke as well. At least I hope so

Looks like my last post got deleted.. I will try again without calling him a name this time...LOL

Nonetheless, I'm not sure what to make of it either, nor do I care.. I guess some people just want to be antagonistic by nature.

Knock yourself out brah...

Status
Not open for further replies.