Virginia Postgame

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree the offense is ok. But I believe they are ok not because of coaching but because we have some stud athletes who can make plays (think UGA for the longest). Gibbs is the same electric, take it to the house, guy as he was the first day he stepped foot on campus. Sims is better than he was when he stepped foot on campus but in my opinion not because of coaching but because he has now played double digit games as QB and as an athlete he’ll get better. I think with real coaching he could take some big steps in reading defenses and those QB things beyond athleticism. But we’ll score points because we have very athletic skilled position players. But when we face DC’s who make us think we look horrible on offense.

Reading your takes over the course of this season is liking watching a drunk play darts.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
You really called the ACC “plenty tough”?

At this point it’s not nitpicking. He does this stuff every game between plays rather than thinking ahead. I’ve never seen another head coach who spends those valuable seconds between plays doing things that do not further success on the next play. Obviously someone should be reminding the team it’s 4th down. That’s fine. But the camera was on Collins and he spent an inordinate amount of time yelling it. I don’t even remember DC’s doing that. I like Collins but during games he looks absolutely lost.

When you listen to in depth interviews of top tier head coaches you hear them talk about preparing mentally 2-3 plays ahead. I remember Spurrier talking about he doesn’t even watch the end of many plays because he is already looking at the play sheet for the next play. We’ve all seen Saban almost step over an injured player so he could get to his defensive huddle to address issues. In other words they are actually coaching during those 3 plus hours. Watch Collins during our games. He is part juice crew, part ball boy, part time ball spotter, part time team doctor, full time dapper, etc. I have rarely seen him ever appear to think about the immediate future which is why we get caught so many times with delayed decision making.

Be careful or some of the Collins fan boys will call you a troll. God forbid you bring up some short comings of our coach. Might as well be a UGA fan spouting off on Tech in general. ;)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never seen another head coach who spends those valuable seconds between plays doing things that do not further success on the next play. Obviously someone should be reminding the team it’s 4th down. That’s fine. But the camera was on Collins and he spent an inordinate amount of time yelling it. I don’t even remember DC’s doing that.

In all likelihood you only ever notice anything an opposing head coach does when the camera points it out to you.

Regardless, the head coach is the most obvious choice to handle that type of thing on gameday. Coordinators are worried about playcalling and making adjustments while position coaches are more focused on the individual positions. The HC can obviously delegate it but no HC worth his salt isn't going to be unaware it's 4th, and if he feels it needs to be made right then and there then he's the most recognizable person. if for instance the back up QB who signals in plays is making a big deal then some players are more likely to just write it off as a QB thing than if the HC is doing so.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Reading your takes over the course of this season is liking watching a drunk play darts.
Have you ever seen a drunk play darts? It’s pretty darn fun as long as he doesn’t turn your direction.

As for ignoring posters that’s just funny (not your post of course).. I come hear to read differing opinions not to have a circle jerk of the like minded. This is all in fun. As for the coach and team, the results speak for themselves. The rest is all noise. Collins can do whatever he wants. I find a lot of it entertaining. But the results are the true facts. He can sit in the stands and hold the momma’s hands if he wants. I don’t care as long as we have better results when the clock hits 0:00.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The opposite can be said too after VT gave up 320 rushing including 177 to the QB and now have to face a true dual threat like Sims
True. But only if the coach decides to LET SIMS RUN. Sharader is probably the best running QB in the ACC and his coaches know that and exploit it. Sims could be; he doesn't have Sharader's size, but he's faster. We'll see if our coaching staff decides to exploit the Turkies weaknesses or not.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It may be a little early to return to this board, but I will tell you guys, don't feel as good about your offense, don't feel as bad about your defense.

We are legitimately very good on offense. We are legitimately awful on defense.

I would call Techmo Bowl a coin flip game
I kind of agree about the offense. The biggest issue I have is that we seem to start fast and fizzle out only to run up some numbers at the end.

Against Duke: 14 on the first two drives, and 10 points on the next 10 drives.
Against UVA: 14 on the first two drives, and 12 points on the next 8 drives.

In both of those games we made some magic at the end. Against Duke it was good enough for a win. Against UVA it was basically garbage time stat padding. We seem to be coming into games prepared but not adjusting well.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes I don't think this defensive coaching staff can fix anything. And The Head Coach talks about how good his defenses were at Miss State and UF, I would say talk is cheap ( if you think 2 m is cheap). Problem now no avg or good defensive coach would come here to work. So all I can say is oh crap 4 more years of excuses.
I fully understand your position. I just disagree 100% with it. Nothing wrong with that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh I agree those were bad. And he gets credit for good throws. But only one of those made a difference.

But c’mon man, he’s got to be a better decision maker. What about the 2-3 other passes where he just chucks the ball into a group of defenders randmonly trying to make something happen?
He's a young guy who's going to make those kinds of bone-head decisions from time to time. I expect in 2 years that doesn't happen. He's still on the steepest part of the learning curve.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't watch the game - I watched the Braves (yay!). But, come on, 636 yards total O? And 240 of that on the ground? I mean, these guys had a hard time getting to 100 YPG rushing before they ran into Tech. We're getting better on O ourselves (at least against teams that, you know, can't stop anybody), but I expected that we would get better on D this year. After all, Collins is supposedly a D guru. Instead, another track meet ensued. Also, I noticed that we had diddly in sacks and TFLs. Part of that is Armstrong, of course, but we need more pressure in the worst way.

Well, maybe more when I watch the game film. I'm not, mind, disappointed; this was at Scott Stadium, after all, and I didn't expect to win. But it does make getting to even 5 wins more difficult. I don't see one team left that we'll be favored against.
I think when you watch the film you're going to notice that we have some of the pieces we need on defense, but not all of them. Unfortunately, you can't hide weakness on defense the way you can on offense.

I think, with time, those deficiencies will be addressed. That's purely my opinion.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He's a young guy who's going to make those kinds of bone-head decisions from time to time. I expect in 2 years that doesn't happen. He's still on the steepest part of the learning curve.
Absolutely! I see tremendous talent in a guy that is willing to put in ALL the work to get better. I'm skeptical of the teacher more than the student at this point. I don't love CDP and at this point I like him less as a QB coach than an OC. But I'm trying to be fair to him and not make any decisions in my own head about whether I think we can win enough with him or not since I think we still have improvements to make on the OL (and I think the way they played against UVA shows that we can be a very good offense when they execute, which they did!!!) to be consistent. Some of you might remember that back in the day, on another board, there was a poster who used the handle "needaqb" and he had taken that handle during Joe Hamilton's redshirt frosh year, I believe. To his credit, that poster expressed that he was very happy to be wrong when Joe kept improving and changed his handle. I feel like Jeff Sims, while I'm not comparing his style or talent to Joe, doesn't have the same level of teacher as Joe did (I'm an admitted Ralph Friedgen fanboy) so I'm cutting him some slack. But he flashes brilliance periodically and is an absolute gamer and you can't teach that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely! I see tremendous talent in a guy that is willing to put in ALL the work to get better. I'm skeptical of the teacher more than the student at this point. I don't love CDP and at this point I like him less as a QB coach than an OC. But I'm trying to be fair to him and not make any decisions in my own head about whether I think we can win enough with him or not since I think we still have improvements to make on the OL (and I think the way they played against UVA shows that we can be a very good offense when they execute, which they did!!!) to be consistent. Some of you might remember that back in the day, on another board, there was a poster who used the handle "needaqb" and he had taken that handle during Joe Hamilton's redshirt frosh year, I believe. To his credit, that poster expressed that he was very happy to be wrong when Joe kept improving and changed his handle. I feel like Jeff Sims, while I'm not comparing his style or talent to Joe, doesn't have the same level of teacher as Joe did (I'm an admitted Ralph Friedgen fanboy) so I'm cutting him some slack. But he flashes brilliance periodically and is an absolute gamer and you can't teach that.
I think the jury is still out on Sims. He could be a great dual QB. Then again, he might not be. Right now he reminds me a lot of Reg when he was a sophomore. Like Reg, he can run. Like Reg, he has a cannon for an arm. And, like Reg, he makes a lot of throws into coverage and doesn't know when to eat the ball. Reg learned; he stopped throwing into coverage and started throwing the ball away. He got injured and slowed down enough to not be the big running threat he was before, but he did learn. And everybody on every Tech fan URL got ticked that his passing completion rate went down over time without noticing that his ratio of TDs to INTs (way more important) had gone up.

We'll just have to see whether Sims can work through these problems. Time and a coach who will tell him he won't see the field if he doesn't (I mean, we do have another good QB) are about the only solutions.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we are complementing basic football 101 type stuff that should have occurred week 1 of year 1 shows where we really are. So what you’re saying is when we actually follow the rules of the game and the coach does things that middle school coaches do (like actually calling plays within the play clock) we can be within 10 points of other unranked mediocre teams.
Ouch.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone who says something about Patenaude needs to be banned

Defense is soft
To be fair, I would say Patenaude went from some of the worst play calling I've seen by him all season to some of the best in this game. Defense has definitely stalled though

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I know this msay sound dumb but remember it's coming from me, I really think CGC would make a better AD than a coach. ( unless it takes 7 years)
7 years to get to .500. 8 years for the transformation to a winner. 10 to compete in the ACC. Then we will complete the biggest overhaul in history.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We can't wait two more years. So many QB's are highly successful, can see the field, and know to protect the ball at all costs early in their careers, but you want us to wait until he is a 4th year player? He has incredible talent, but at some point you have to ask yourself, "What is more important, losing with a hyper talented, entertaining QB that throws crazy interceptions, or to win with a less talented QB that takes care of the ball?"

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We can't wait two more years. So many QB's are highly successful, can see the field, and know to protect the ball at all costs early in their careers, but you want us to wait until he is a 4th year player? He has incredible talent, but at some point you have to ask yourself, "What is more important, losing with a hyper talented, entertaining QB that throws crazy interceptions, or to win with a less talented QB that takes care of the ball?"
You are making a lot of sense with your posts today. He needs to be a complete QB by next season or it’s next man up.