Virginia Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Watched them all year. Virginia Tech's offense is a bag of a--. Do NOT mistake them or their QB for UVA. However, their defense is a mile ahead of UVA. I expect us to have a better shot at winning this game. This is the kind of game we need Sims to hurt the opponent with his feet.
Virginia Tech is reeling with a coach on the hottest seat there is north of Miami. There is no excuse for losing this game at home.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
But if we do lose you bet we got the excusess
I can't imagine what they would be but the Virginia Tech situation is one that should give pause to those who want to fire a coach and look for a savior. Fuentes (spelling?) was the golden boy not too long ago while everyone was deriding UVA selecting Bronco. Funny, how these things work out sometimes. Then, you have the love fest in Miami with Manny but that is another deal altogether.

Jolly Good Fellow
We play about 8-9 guys in the secondary. It doesn’t matter who is playing the results are the same. Very bad.
Assistant coaches are laser-like focused upon the in-game results of the unit of players for which they have responsibility. I assure you that our position coaches and coordinators are putting the guys on the field that they believe give us best chance to win, today. It is a matter of self-interest,
I would prefer we play every freshman we have at every position for the remainder of the year as we aren't going to win conference championship...but it is unreasonable to expect that our assistant coaches, whose job is tied to performance now, will make decisions about 2023...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sure. By rule it’s correct, but it doesn’t change the fact that it was a bad throw and a bailout. He released the ball before he was hit, so I’m not buying the hit to the head affected his throw angle. If so then my critique changes to he should eat the ball and take the sack instead of throwing a potential pick. It was a bad play by Sims that he needs to learn from
He had the same bad mechanics the previous TD pass. Nothing has really changed in his footwork, progressions, etc except he occasionally throws it way instead of forcing it. That has resulted in about a 20% reduction in INTs albeit under easier defenses than we’ll see in 4 of our last 5 games (BC’s defense is down there with us).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can see in the next couple of years this team looking like some of the PJ years. That is, having an offense no one can stop and a defense who stops no one. As Sims and the line and excellent backs and receivers mature and Sims learns not to throw into coverage.

I don't have anything against the 3 man front, but I do not like it when we only rush three. I don't care if we had 8 Deon Sanders covering, if you get no pressure, one of the receivers will get free and a quarterback with no pressure will find him and throw it to him. If we had a single cat-quick, athletic rush end who can shed a block, that would do wonders.

I thought we played the conventional run pretty well. What killed us was the QB keepers and passing plays when he tucked it and ran.

Let's give UVA some credit for making some good plays, especially 99.
Back in CPJ day when half time came everyone would rush up to the concession stand. It was so poorly staffed folks would barely get back before second half kick. U could count on gt getting the 2nd half kickoff and cpj calling great plays for a score. After the score i would rush up to get refreshments while we kicked off. I would get back to my midfield seat as the bend but dont break defense gave up 3 quick first downs and line of scrimage was right in front of us.

Got drinks w no line and GOT TO SKIP about 8 downs of very boring football. THIS DEFENSE IS MAKING ME MISS TD ROOF (BUT NOT AL GROH)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I would prefer we play every freshman we have at every position for the remainder of the year as we aren't going to win conference championship...but it is unreasonable to expect that our assistant coaches, whose job is tied to performance now, will make decisions about 2023...
What makes you think their jobs are tied to performance now? It hasn't been tied to performance the past two years.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It looked like the guy was just trying to knock down the pass and plocked the helmet. In my book it was no harm, no foul, but realizing the bad calls go equally both ways I eagerly accepted the gift.
Point taken. The announcers felt it was incidental and not in the spirit of what the penalty is supposed to prevent. We had a 13-0 lead in the first quarter and let it get away from us. UVA scored on every possession but two, I think. That is what lost us the game not penalties.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It looked like the guy was just trying to knock down the pass and plocked the helmet. In my book it was no harm, no foul, but realizing the bad calls go equally both ways I eagerly accepted the gift.
Correct call. Bad rule. Just like a lot of the targeting stuff.

Point taken. The announcers felt it was incidental and not in the spirit of what the penalty is supposed to prevent. We had a 13-0 lead in the first quarter and let it get away from us. UVA scored on every possession but two, I think. That is what lost us the game not this penalty.
The hands to QB helmet gets called pretty much every time. I've seen it plenty this year. "Spirit" doesn't matter.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I felt reasonably certain that, on the play where Akelo Stone was ejected for targeting, UVA's WR Billy Kemp fumbled the ball. Anyone else see the same on replay? The condense game view doesn't give the best angle, but to my eyes Kemp rolled over Wesley Walker without a knee nor elbow touching the ground. The ball popped out.

Would it have mattered, given the targeting? Probably not. But there's an argument that Walker recovered the ball at nearly the same time as the targeting call. And if the ball is loose, I assume UVA gets the benefit of a loose ball targeting and maintains possession.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I felt reasonably certain that, on the play where Akelo Stone was ejected for targeting, UVA's WR Billy Kemp fumbled the ball. Anyone else see the same on replay? The condense game view doesn't give the best angle, but to my eyes Kemp rolled over Wesley Walker without a knee nor elbow touching the ground. The ball popped out.

Would it have mattered, given the targeting? Probably not. But there's an argument that Walker recovered the ball at nearly the same time as the targeting call. And if the ball is loose, I assume UVA gets the benefit of a loose ball targeting and maintains possession.

I thought the same thing, but my brother pointed out to me that as he rolled over his helmet was in the ground and that that counts the same as an elbow or knee.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I thought the same thing, but my brother pointed out to me that as he rolled over his helmet was in the ground and that that counts the same as an elbow or knee.
In fact I think the rule is “any part of the body other than a hand or foot” counts as down. Elbows and knees are most common. But shoulders, butts, backs, heads all qualify as down as well

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I guess he's down when his head hits the ground. I didn't think he lost the ball before that, but it was hard to tell.