Virginia Postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the same thing, but my brother pointed out to me that as he rolled over his helmet was in the ground and that that counts the same as an elbow or knee.
I guess he's down when his head hits the ground. I didn't think he lost the ball before that, but it was hard to tell.
Thanks, I didn't see that. But I thought I remembered seeing the ball come out before, in this clip, I see his helmet hitting the ground. I was hoping a replay angle would be in the condensed game, and I don't have much appetite to rewatch, but maybe I will if time permits.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’ve been a huge homer for Collins the last 2 seasons. Love the energy, the love of GT and Atlanta, he’s a local guy, etc. I’ve tried to give him some cover with the “scrimmage“ seasons rhetoric even though elementary coaching mistakes were being made every week. This year should have been different but it’s not because he just isn’t a good game day coach and it’s obvious not much development is taking place. Those who say Sims is getting better are accurate. But it’s not due to coaching, it’s due to natural progression of an athlete getting playing time. What we see from Sims is a kid who is better because he is playing, so naturally he’s going to get more comfortable and use to game speed. If he was getting any coaching at all he would be way beyond where he is now after getting double digit starts.

A random thing I saw from Collins this week which speaks volumes is on a UVA pass play where the WR caught it and our DB pushed him back 5 yards and Collins is pleading with the ref to spot it at the point where he hit the ground and not 5 yards upfield where his progress was stopped. It’s like he doesn’t even know the rules. In fairness (although it just may have been the TV angle) I didn’t notice him fighting ball boys for the ball to hand to the ref this week. I like the guy, but I’ve never seen high school coaches do the goofy stuff he does on the sideline. He does everything except actually coach. Most coaches are already thinking of the next play before the ball is even snapped on the current play. Collins from what we see is almost like a fan. The play is over, he argues about a spot or fiddles with the ball or dabs everyone up all while the next play clock has started and then he thinks, oh, it’s 2nd and 5. Did y’all notice when he was yelling to the team that it was 4th down. What kind of head coach has to tell his grown arse players what down it is instead of matching wits with the opposing coach. If we were improving I could laugh this off as just his goofiness, but if he does this during games I can only imagine what team practices are like.

Lol… nitpicking like as hell but i understand frustrated. I’m not sure on the tackler pushed back if the runner is still trying to get yards the LOS gets re-established

You question his coaching and game management but mystified that he alerting the defense that it is 4th down? This makes no sense. Even the GOAT Tom Brady forgot how many down it was last season. You always want to know the menu: personnel, down & distance, & formation

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't have the heart to bet against us but as soon as we went up early I told a buddy to throw down money on Virginia and he certainly appreciated my advice.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The opposite can be said too after VT gave up 320 rushing including 177 to the QB and now have to face a true dual threat like Sims
Tonight I watched both the UNC game and the Syracuse game for Virginia Tech. It was like watching two different teams. The Hokies played great defense against Sam Howell and UNC with press man to man on the outside that just locked down the Tar Heel receivers. They were not near as effective against Syracuse. They have some athletes on that defense to be sure especially #11. Right now they are on a three game losing streak and a season of promise is swirling the drain.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think any team with an RB like Thomas should be favored in a game with Tech. He rushed for 151 yards last Saturday and we haven't shown much in the way of run D. But … opinions differ.
We did a decent job against Durant, I’m hoping/ looking for our Defense to regroup and come back with much better play

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
After watching the offense against UVA, I'd like to think we ourscore VPISU. But I have to remind myself, UVA's defense sucks.
It may be a little early to return to this board, but I will tell you guys, don't feel as good about your offense, don't feel as bad about your defense.

We are legitimately very good on offense. We are legitimately awful on defense.

I would call Techmo Bowl a coin flip game

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It may be a little early to return to this board, but I will tell you guys, don't feel as good about your offense, don't feel as bad about your defense.

I would call Tech a coin flip game

Welcome back fellow Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey sympathizer.

We need to get together for a Zima and Roquefort Cheese salad.

I like UVa a lot, but the QB and receivers are real *****s. Hope that VT beats both of them up real good.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims needs to be graded on the INT that was negated by the penalty too. Bad throw, lucky call. He also threw 3-4 other passes that would have been picked off by a halfway decent defense. He’s got great upside, but his tendencies to turnovers will continue to limit our ability to succeed.
I agree - turnovers are really killing us. That said, the offense gave us a chance to win DESPITE the turnovers.

I will say that hindsight is always 20-20. This UVa offense *might* be a lot better than anyone realizes. I'm not sure what the solution would have been for the D - when we blitzed, Armstrong torched us. When sat back in zone, Armstrong picked us apart. It's not as simple as waving a magic wand and poof, we get pressure on the QB. It's frustrating, but their O just simply whipped us.

And despite how ineffective our D was, we still had a chance to win the game because of ST and O.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"the offense gave us a chance to win DESPITE the turnovers (Augusta)" and a total failure of our pass defense. I like the sound of that.

IMO , there is lots of room to hope that the oc can over and over over whisper in the Sims ear - "see the open receiver, stop, plant foot, pop it right to him". a high percentage of his passes could be so much better. Sims could get a lot better.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should move to a group of 5 conference so we don’t have to play elite teams? The ACC is plenty tough but what if we played a Big10 or Sec schedule? maybe Sunbelt?
You really called the ACC “plenty tough”?
Lol… nitpicking like as hell but i understand frustrated. I’m not sure on the tackler pushed back if the runner is still trying to get yards the LOS gets re-established

You question his coaching and game management but mystified that he alerting the defense that it is 4th down? This makes no sense. Even the GOAT Tom Brady forgot how many down it was last season. You always want to know the menu: personnel, down & distance, & formation
At this point it’s not nitpicking. He does this stuff every game between plays rather than thinking ahead. I’ve never seen another head coach who spends those valuable seconds between plays doing things that do not further success on the next play. Obviously someone should be reminding the team it’s 4th down. That’s fine. But the camera was on Collins and he spent an inordinate amount of time yelling it. I don’t even remember DC’s doing that. I like Collins but during games he looks absolutely lost.

When you listen to in depth interviews of top tier head coaches you hear them talk about preparing mentally 2-3 plays ahead. I remember Spurrier talking about he doesn’t even watch the end of many plays because he is already looking at the play sheet for the next play. We’ve all seen Saban almost step over an injured player so he could get to his defensive huddle to address issues. In other words they are actually coaching during those 3 plus hours. Watch Collins during our games. He is part juice crew, part ball boy, part time ball spotter, part time team doctor, full time dapper, etc. I have rarely seen him ever appear to think about the immediate future which is why we get caught so many times with delayed decision making.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I would call Techmo Bowl a coin flip game
First on your offense being good lets take away the 6 TD's and what do you have 6 points on two FG's , I'm sorry but 2 FG's is not that good of an offense. Second on defense we didn't have our good starters in the game, most of them won't be recruited till 2023 and 2024. I understand you are a UVa fan well we all have to pick someone to pull for at least you didn't pick uga . After seeing the game and watching your offense that could only score 2 FG's if you take away the 6 TD's I just can't see y'all beating WF or UNC .

Now for our offense not being that good I'm sure you get that from reading this board and our fans saying they don't like Coach P. But you have to understand most games we try and go 3 and out to get more practice time in for our defense till we get our true starters in 2023 and 2024.

Now be a real football fan and stop drinking wine and eating cheese , and try a beer and pork skins. Also remember going from the 3O to what every you call our offense it takes 7 years.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree - turnovers are really killing us. That said, the offense gave us a chance to win DESPITE the turnovers.

I will say that hindsight is always 20-20. This UVa offense *might* be a lot better than anyone realizes. I'm not sure what the solution would have been for the D - when we blitzed, Armstrong torched us. When sat back in zone, Armstrong picked us apart. It's not as simple as waving a magic wand and poof, we get pressure on the QB. It's frustrating, but their O just simply whipped us.

And despite how ineffective our D was, we still had a chance to win the game because of ST and O.
I agree the offense is ok. But I believe they are ok not because of coaching but because we have some stud athletes who can make plays (think UGA for the longest). Gibbs is the same electric, take it to the house, guy as he was the first day he stepped foot on campus. Sims is better than he was when he stepped foot on campus but in my opinion not because of coaching but because he has now played double digit games as QB and as an athlete he’ll get better. I think with real coaching he could take some big steps in reading defenses and those QB things beyond athleticism. But we’ll score points because we have very athletic skilled position players. But when we face DC’s who make us think we look horrible on offense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

At this point it’s not nitpicking. He does this stuff every game between plays rather than thinking ahead. I’ve never seen another head coach who spends those valuable seconds between plays doing things that do not further success on the next play. Obviously someone should be reminding the team it’s 4th down. That’s fine. But the camera was on Collins and he spent an inordinate amount of time yelling it. I don’t even remember DC’s doing that. I like Collins but during games he looks absolutely lost.

When you listen to in depth interviews of top tier head coaches you hear them talk about preparing mentally 2-3 plays ahead. I remember Spurrier talking about he doesn’t even watch the end of many plays because he is already looking at the play sheet for the next play. We’ve all seen Saban almost step over an injured player so he could get to his defensive huddle to address issues. In other words they are actually coaching during those 3 plus hours. Watch Collins during our games. He is part juice crew, part ball boy, part time ball spotter, part time team doctor, full time dapper, etc. I have rarely seen him ever appear to think about the immediate future which is why we get caught so many times with delayed decision making.

If you are going to compare CGC to Dabo, Spurrier, and Saban, then you should acknowledge that all three of them coach(ed) juggernauts that allowed them the luxury of concentrating on the big picture details only. With a young team like GT, CGC probably feels the need to be as hands on as possible to establish the culture and fundamentals needed for success. If you look back at Dabo's first few years at Clemson, he often looked lost on the sideline himself. Once he started winning big, an air of gravitas was assigned to him that wasn't there initially.

Now, none of this is to say that CGC will ascend the coaching heights of the three you mentioned, but there's no reason he can't get there. We will know more in a couple of years, as has always been the case. The only problem with his style of coaching is it's pretty much all or nothing. He will either make it at GT or he will end up being a DC again.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

EVERY COACH IN EVERY SPORT DOES THIS!!!!

Coaches in baseball notify the team of the number of outs. Basketball coaches notify the team of how many seconds are left in the shot clock or minutes are left. Every coach makes sure their team is situationally aware of what’s going on. You don’t assume anything, bc when you do assume you… well you know the rest

Find me a “Top-tier” coach that doesn’t do this

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I agree the offense is ok. But I believe they are ok not because of coaching but because we have some stud athletes who can make plays (think UGA for the longest). Gibbs is the same electric, take it to the house, guy as he was the first day he stepped foot on campus. Sims is better than he was when he stepped foot on campus but in my opinion not because of coaching but because he has now played double digit games as QB and as an athlete he’ll get better. I think with real coaching he could take some big steps in reading defenses and those QB things beyond athleticism. But we’ll score points because we have very athletic skilled position players. But when we face DC’s who make us think we look horrible on offense.

Lol wow ok.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not that it means much post game, but GT's defensive FEI ranking was higher than UVA's DFEI ranking heading into the game. Both were bad...GT was just "less" bad.

I've been saying it for a few years now, our defensive backfield is slow. We have two guys at safety that should be playing LB.

I would say that our inconsistencies on defense are due to our youth...but most of the starters are experienced. Even in this day and age of prolific offenses, 40 points should get you a win a majority of the time.

UVA's offense is legit. Heading into this game, they had an OFEI rating of 17. That our offense hung in there with them is a bit of a bright side in this loss. We had a chance to tie the game...but it wasn't meant to be. Our OFEI rating was #73 heading into the game.

Personally, I think there are some REALLY good players on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure we have coaches that know how to fully utilize them.

We have five games left in the season. We need 3 wins to go bowling. Our best bet is to win the next 3 games because Notre Dame and UGA games are not going to be pretty for us. Unfortunately, I don't feel good about our chances of going to a bowl this year.