Virginia Postgame

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But I’m gonna stop being so hard on Patenaude for one reason. Is he could be worse. I, like a dumbass, had the over at 42 on the UT-UK game in a 7 team parlay where all of my other picks won. So I watched a lot of this horrible game. It was like 2 monkeys trying to f*** a football. It was the worst coaching I have ever seen. Yes they had some individually talented players. They were both horridly coaches teams. We are a much, much better coached team and I think right now we beat both teams.

I do think CGC is really imaginative with the branding and his organization seems stellar. Kids seem to really love him. Defense is light years ahead, except some linebackers. Offense isn’t horrible anymore. I personally just think it is boring and unimaginative. But I had the opportunity to watch an alternative that was much much worse. A passing version and a running version. I know Kentucky was playing with a WR at QB, but it was just bad. It was like someone trying to imitate CPJ’s VT game last year out of the shotgun, without know what CPJ’s scheme was and how to implement it. It was like watching someone say, hey we are just going to call a bunch of running plays. Everyone one of the ones that were in this playbook that I found.
If u listen as if he is talking only go u - a 17-18 top us football player, his schtick sounds great.

If u listen as an old gt fan who works alone and not APART of a team, you are going to dislike cgc.
He is relentless showing recruits - if u come u will have your chance to play.

LibertyTurns

Banned
However, the are a few, the win at all cost crowd, that actually look forward to the real processing.....which to me is a disgusting.
We’re probably going to process kids at a slightly higher rate than we’ve done in the past because we’re going to add 4-5 more recruits. We are going to process kids & if that unnerves you then I recommend borrowing some valium to get you over the hump.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I see continuous improvement each week. One of the things I really enjoy in a season is having a team that is markedly better at the end of the year than when they began. The Laskey/Days OB was at the top of the list in this regards. The 89 team too. Of course I like the victories but I see progress and hope for better days.

Yesterday's loss was due to ST's.:banghead::banghead: I hate having to defend KO returns. Seems like every team we play doesn't have to do that because they kick the ball into the end zone. The TD right before half was a backbreaker and was a result mostly of the kickoff return. Watching them score so quickly brought back many recent painful memories.

Would be nice to get some kickoffs through the end zone every now and then

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Really amazing to see people still not fully understand what a transition is.
Thank goodness the accept that injuries play a part.

Same people talk about """possible:"" future attrition issues but ignore we only have 6 seniors. iirc we had 47 players leave in 18, 17, 16, 15. Think of it we have 6 sr and not all are starters.

shaders going to shade.

great effort yesterday

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For those in chat yesterday, I apologize for my negative comments and snark. I missed the whole first half and only saw the second. I was also several beers in.

With a clearer head and fuller perspective, I now see much progress is being made on O. Like others, I see glaring deficiencies at certain position groups but that can be addressed through recruiting which has been trending upward.

Kudos to the players and coaches on their best game so far. It’s still very frustrating to lose games, especially ones that are very winnable.

Contrary to what some think, I want GT to succeed with this staff. Or any staff, for that matter.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
For those in chat yesterday, I apologize for my negative comments and snark. I missed the whole first half and only saw the second. I was also several beers in.

With a clearer head and fuller perspective, I now see much progress is being made on O. Like others, I see glaring deficiencies at certain position groups but that can be addressed through recruiting which has been trending upward.

Kudos to the players and coaches on their best game so far. It’s still very frustrating to lose games, especially ones that are very winnable.

Contrary to what some think, I want GT to succeed with this staff. Or any staff, for that matter.

Good on you for admitting that. Now say 3 Hail Mary’s and make a sizable donation to the GTAA to atone.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Cheese you are a good Tech guy everyone has times they say things after they do they wish they had not. As long as you don't do it to your wife ( which I have ) you are fine.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I get it and nice olive branch. Some just project their attitude towards the program onto you and they don’t realize it’s not reciprocal. They’re all now backpedaling trying to rewrite A decade or two of history. They take it as you just dishing it back and the sooner we get off this merry go round the better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thank goodness the accept that injuries play a part.

Same people talk about """possible:"" future attrition issues but ignore we only have 6 seniors. iirc we had 47 players leave in 18, 17, 16, 15. Think of it we have 6 sr and not all are starters.

shaders going to shade.

great effort yesterday
look at page 9 and I have a list
Lets look and see how it stacks up on scholarships. Now I could be wrong ( if you believe my wife)
First lets look at this chart.
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/
you will see 81 players on scholarship ( Wells not showing on here not sure why I remember before the season CGC put him on maybe it was only for one year)
out of 81 only 10 seniors but 2 of those are out for the season ( Camp and Lee ) and we have been told they are coming back next year.

so if my math is right and Y'all need to check me cause I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech.
81 players 10 seniors 2 coming back = 73 on scholarship.

Now at this time we have 23 commitments and 1 transfer coming in next year so that would be 97. Now if I remember right 97> 85. So that would be 12 over. Going back and looking at the chart we have 9 Running Backs , 12 WR's , and I was surprised 10 Defensive ends. Now

Right now I'm not to concerned we have 15 Juniors and maybe 1 or 2 will be finished and graduate this year and move on. ( Damn thinking about it 10 sr 15 jr and 81 players on scholarship 70% are So and Fr we are really young. ) I also would guess the CGC knows the players that are not wanting to come back . Could be an interesting summer but for now I have to trust our coaches know who is not coming back.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. Resources is the answer, has been the answer & will always be the answer. You can only fight the Army you have, not the one you hope to have.

100% agree. Given that, the coaches who are already proven that they are capable of competing for P5 conference championship (and thus more) aren't taking this job much to the chagrin of some of our fan base. Given our constraints and the fact that there is no sure fire way of picking unproven guys and knowing that they will pan out (causing the constant churn of coaches at most schools that aren't "blue bloods") the only way to proceed is to do due diligence and at the end of the day roll the dice. In my hiring and firing days, I was competing on an even playing field with my competitors and the operation that I ran was considered to be "elite" in our industry. Even then, I made hiring mistakes as have the AD's at places like Florida, Miami, Auburn, FSU, etc. I would be surprised if most of you haven't done the same. The guys I hired always came "highly recommended" as Coach Johnson used to say.

We have to support these guys when they are here or we contribute to the situation you mentioned. Have I seen perfect coaching this season? No. But I do see a young and/or inexperienced HC and staff who are excited to be here and seem to be growing on the job as each week the team seems to be moving forward under very difficult circumstances. This is enough for me. I don't like the perpetual churn of coaches just hoping to catch lightening in a bottle that some here are suggesting and maybe even hoping for. UT (the SEC version) has done this so much that they no longer are viewed imo as a top shelf program like they were 20 years ago,

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
100% agree. Given that, the coaches who are already proven that they are capable of competing for P5 conference championship (and thus more) aren't taking this job much to the chagrin of some of our fan base. Given our constraints and the fact that there is no sure fire way of picking unproven guys and knowing that they will pan out (causing the constant churn of coaches at most schools that aren't "blue bloods") the only way to proceed is to do due diligence and at the end of the day roll the dice. In my hiring and firing days, I was competing on an even playing field with my competitors and the operation that I ran was considered to be "elite" in our industry. Even then, I made hiring mistakes as have the AD's at places like Florida, Miami, Auburn, FSU, etc. I would be surprised if most of you haven't done the same. The guys I hired always came "highly recommended" as Coach Johnson used to say.

We have to support these guys when they are here or we contribute to the situation you mentioned. Have I seen perfect coaching this season? No. But I do see a young and/or inexperienced HC and staff who are excited to be here and seem to be growing on the job as each week the team seems to be moving forward under very difficult circumstances. This is enough for me. I don't like the perpetual churn of coaches just hoping to catch lightening in a bottle that some here are suggesting and maybe even hoping for. UT (the SEC version) has done this so much that they no longer are viewed imo as a top shelf program like they were 20 years ago,
Speaking of college coaching turnover, I wonder what percent of head coaches have an on their current job more than 10 years?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
The improvement in the team has been up and down at times, but the overall trend is upward. I am already getting pumped for next year. At the very LEAST, our
experienced depth is going to be much better than it has been in a loooong time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Folks have noted that the guys have played hard this year, and I think one big reason for that may be the way Collins treats them. I noticed that after Juanyeh made the fair catch at the 2-yard line, he didn't get in his face and yell at him on the sideline as we've seen some other coaches do. He put his hand on his shoulder and talked to him about it in a calm manner, using the occasion as a teachable moment, I would imagine about field and situational awareness. Another time he was calmly giving Curry some extra coaching on the sideline after he got himself out of position and missed an opportunity to stop Perkins from making a long gain. It's one thing to excoriate a player in private, but I always cringe when a coach does it in public. It's refreshing to see Collins does not do this. I really like that about him and it's a refreshing change from some of the antics we've seen in the past.

I know some successful coaches do bark at players on the sideline, but I like Collins' style much better and I think it fits our situation. There's no need in my book to have some screaming public scene with players who are just trying their best.