Virginia Postgame

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Score before half did it. Anyone that can’t see the improvement at this point just doesn’t deserve to have an opinion of the team. We can win these next 2 games.

Best game by far. Except for ST (KO coverage in particular) it was approaching a "good" game. Play calling and execution to get us positive yards on first down was the really big improvement as it allowed us to make some drives. More utilization of Oliver (57 yards receiving) is a good trend. A couple of high throws hurt in the second half, but overall the O made a big step forward. D continued to play well, except for not bottling up #3 on crucial downs and just before halftime. Reason for hope.

Suggestion for the OC: When scheming the wide screen to Oliver get someone in for Brown (the key blocker on that play) such as Cottrell. Too much mismatch in size and this was not the first time we could not make the block. Brown is a great receiver but on this play he needs his rest.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Y'all know I have no love for P'nut but the offense did not lose this game. That goes to the defense and a bad kicking game. I don't like to pull scholarships but I would pull King's and Wells after this season.
Are both on scholarship. I don’t recall one of the two ever doing much of anything. Last year we had someone who was consistent. He can keep his.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Best game of the year for us not considering ST. Our two wins were from the other teams mistakes.

UVa should easily win Coastal at 5-2 now and they played well. This was not a crap Coastal game like so many have been.

There was a time when I graded every ST play. No reason now we are so pathetic in all phases except punting. UVa should have kicked to 5 and we probably would have lost net yardage

Animal02

Banned
Well 2 are all but guaranteed. Both this year and next year we’ll play probably 22 bowl teams. 10 of the teams we play next year were ranked last year. And now North Carolina is much improved. 2021 will be our first shot at a good record.
And if he gets to 6-6 year 3, he will be here a while. All I am saying is if he goes, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8, he won;t be here for year 4.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Are both on scholarship. I don’t recall one of the two ever doing much of anything. Last year we had someone who was consistent. He can keep his.
Yes pretty sure both are on scholarship , after today and before this game pull them both they can earn them back if they do better next year, We will need those scholarships next year. I know people hate to do it but after this year I see no one for them to keep it.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We've lost a lot of players due to being injured and I'm amazed how well we played today. Proud of the kids. The offensive line has not jelled yet, but dang they are getting closer. Per the AJC we traveled with 71 players today and 14 were walk-ons. Amazing. I hope our coaches are learning from their gameday mistakes. They are doing a good job with the players, but the game management needs work. We should be at 4 wins, maybe 5.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we have different coaches assigned to different aspects of special teams. CGC has put special emphasis on special teams; it's part of our dna.

I’m not sure there’s a way to scheme around a kicker not being about to kick it to the 10 yard line and needing to kick it about head high to to so. Maybe pooch kick every time?

Harvin had a bad game, but punt has been solid this year.

We definitely need to make improvements here. Kick return has been bad as well. I think the guy’s with the size/length he’s recruiting will be able to have more of an impact on ST going forward.

No question ST cost us the game today.

Animal02

Banned
OK. We're not Florida State and this message board isn't always the best barometer of what GT can and can't afford to do.

After 3 losing seasons, we'll be able to afford a $10MM+ buyout and the hot new coach who can't wait to come here and only get 3 years to build something. Sure. Keep believing that.
Keep believing Tech can afford to have attendance in the 20's and getting mocked, and fans and alumni accepting 2-8. 3-9. 4-8 seasons. Not going to happen. How quickly some forget how much movement there was to run CPJ out of town after a couple of down years.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Score before half did it. Anyone that can’t see the improvement at this point just doesn’t deserve to have an opinion of the team. We can win these next 2 games.
Not taking anything away from our guys, I just haven't paid any attention to NC State this season. Are they playing that poorly this year? (Just generally curious)

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll admit as the season goes on it’s more obvious to me where we are talent wise. The biggest consistent I see that bothers me is the lack of proper LB play. The other positions will develop.

There has got to be a coach somewhere on this team that sees the “dancing” that one LB is doing on every play, sometimes even before the snap. Maybe someone can tell me if I’m wrong but a LB needs to hit the whole just like a RB does.

If we could get the Cottrell mindset of KO coverage into our LBs heads there would be 10 tackles in the backfield a game and countless no gains. I know the team is young but the experience at one LB position is not showing itself on the field. There should be leadership coming from this position and there is none.

Now heart and effort is all there, high energy player, but he is taking himself out of so many plays by being out of control.

Just commit and hit !!

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Yes pretty sure both are on scholarship , after today and before this game pull them both they can earn them back if they do better next year, We will need those scholarships next year. I know people hate to do it but after this year I see no one for them to keep it.
I don't know if we will do that, but I agree with you. We need a free agent from the student body to answer the call to duty.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep believing Tech can afford to have attendance in the 20's and getting mocked, and fans and alumni accepting 2-8. 3-9. 4-8 seasons. Not going to happen. How quickly some forget how much movement there was to run CPJ out of town after a couple of down years.

I'm not forgetting that at all. My friends were among those people and I disagreed with them because a) CPJ had a solid long term track record, b) I like CPJ & his system, and c) we wouldn't have been able to afford his hefty buyout that I think would've still been pretty hefty after this year, had he not retired.