Virginia postgame discussion

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My observation at this point in the season is that we have not improved much since the opening game. We still have the same issues and have not been able to develop our talent in a way to overcome these problems. The coaches and the players are both accountable in that regard.

On offense: We have not been able to consistently block the standard CPJ offense. The wide game has not been there much at all. Benson has been solid but you can see he is wearing down and we have left Howard languishing on the bench. TaQuon has not been able the make the reads and his passing skills have not improved as the season has gone along. We still can not pass block. CPJ has not been able to call the right plays at critical times in the games.

Special Teams are consistently inconsistent. We should just kick the ball out of bounds and give it to the opponent at the 35. I think we would come out ahead with that strategy. The kickoff returns are vanilla and rarely return anything for the effort. Punt returns are the same way. I think we would be just about as well off to let the ball hit the ground and roll. We have no confidence in our place kicking game. The whole special teams operation is a liability for us.

On defense: still no pass rush. Always a tendency to give up a critical third and long or a game winning opponent drive. Our DB's never play the ball always look at their man and hope to stick out a hand at the last minute and bat down a ball. Poor tackling at key times. Rarely play with any fire in the belly.

There have been some good spots and I don't mean to minimize those but the bottom line is this particular team up to this point in time has not been able to fix the problems that separate winning and losing. I hate it for these young men. I know they are working their guts out and giving it what they consider to be their best effort. It just has not worked out for them up to this point.

It's getting late but hope lives on to still make something good out of the remaining season. I will be there pulling for them either way.

Go Jackets!

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Do we make a bowl game? If we play like that against VPI, Duke, or UGA might as well write the game off

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Johnson is starting to remind me a lot of Hewitt. And the football program is starting to remind me a lot of the basketball program under Hewitt.

Some passionate haters. Some passionate defenders. Some favorite things to complain about that consistently never got better (inbounding the ball and FT shooting under Hewitt...the passing game under Johnson).

Each coach led us to some success, especially early in their tenure. But as time went on, the records seemed to be getting worse and worse.

Neither could effectively compete in their conference anymore.

It took us too long to part ways with Hewitt, and cost us way too much money. I just hope we are financially smart in how we handle the Johnson situation.

I also fear that ticket sales and attendance will now start to plunge with CPJ at the helm. More and more core fans are losing faith in the program. CPJ doesn't really seem willing to make the changes necessary to at least appear to be competing.

I recognize that GT has many built-ion disadvantages, and that changing our football coach is unlikely to change our fortunes on the field, per se.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lane Kiffin at GT is getting me pumped up! It sounds crazy but I think that would be awesome
th

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah a guy that couldn't win at UT or USC is going to do fantastic at GT :rolleyes:

Lane did win at UT. He took over a trashed out program from Derek Dooley and won in Year One. Yes ... he fled to his dream job but with NCAA sanctions, still went 28-15. And he was the only guy who would take on the challenge. Lifetime? He’s 0.630. CPJ is 0.587.

Say what you want, but a guy like Lane would bring an exciting brand of football to the Flats.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Lane Kiffen couldn't carry Paul Johnson's jock strap.

Changing coaches does nothing again!

How about we add majors, do away with the calculus requirement!

Heck Virginia has a much better chance of winning a championship than we do. You don't have to take calculus at virginia. Their recruiting is about like ours and now they now have a decent coach.

I don't know why y'all think we should look down our noses at Virginia?

If our staff was at Virginia they'd be winning the ACC and Bronco will before he's done there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lane Kiffen couldn't carry Paul Johnson's jock strap.

Changing coaches does nothing again!

I never advocated changing coaches. I like CPJ and said so. But ...

... it is a fact that CPJ is going to retire soon. He has said as much. (He was offered the HC job at Auburn and turned it down.) we would be foolish not to start planning now ... as to what type of football PROGRAM we need to compete.

I do think we need a younger coach to help bring an exciting brand of football to Tech.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I never advocated changing coaches. I like CPJ and said so. But ...

... it is a fact that CPJ is going to retire soon. He has said as much. (He was offered the HC job at Auburn and turned it down.) we would be foolish not to start planning now ... as to what type of football PROGRAM we need to compete.

I do think we need a younger coach to help bring an exciting brand of football to Tech.
Lane Kiffen is not that guy. You're confusing a guy who can coach with a guy who is fair at getting great players to play. A great coach named Saban couldn't wait to get rid of Kiffen! Young coaches are looking for stepping stone jobs which Tech is becoming. Instead of going down that road we need to start taking steps to make Tech a destination job by making it easier to recruit and win.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know why y'all think we should look down our noses at Virginia?

If our staff was at Virginia they'd be winning the ACC and Bronco will before he's done there.

Don't look now but Virginia can still win the Coastal. They don't quite "control their own destiny" but wins over the next two weeks would keep them alive until after Thanksgiving.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lane Kiffen is not that guy. You're confusing a guy who can coach with a guy who is fair at getting great players to play. A great coach named Saban couldn't wait to get rid of Kiffen!.

I’m not making my point clear. Let’s try another way.

Re Saban, Saban hired Kiffin and gave him a 3 year contract. Why? Saban saw the game evolving and he wanted a West Coast offense at Bama. Read that again ... the game has changed and he wanted to change with it.

Is CPJ changing? No.

Do we need Kiffin? Kiffin would not fit into Tech’s conservative culture. But, my point is, a younger guy, playing an exciting (modern) style of play would do wonders.

That was my point.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Lane did win at UT. He took over a trashed out program from Derek Dooley and won in Year One. Yes ... he fled to his dream job but with NCAA sanctions, still went 28-15. And he was the only guy who would take on the challenge. Lifetime? He’s 0.630. CPJ is 0.587.

Say what you want, but a guy like Lane would bring an exciting brand of football to the Flats.

Dooley came after Lane. Lane did take a team that went 5-7 and went 7-6 his first year, and then had some pretty decent success at USC while they were reeling from sanctions.

Anyways, Lane is an interesting thought, because he's a good recruiter and has a good offensive mind, bur any power 5 team would have to be banking on him learning quite a bit from past head coaching experiences. Not too dissimilar to Pastner though. Wouldn't fire Johnson for him, but wouldn't mind him being a replacement depending on just how good he does at FAU.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It looks like he's changed as a person so how can you not be impressed by what Lane Kiffin is doing at FAU?
So you would be ok with Lane coming here, letting a bunch of players who got kicked out of other schools transfer in, and hire a Briles to go 8-4? Hard pass

You want him to start prostituting our female students out to recruits like he was allowing at Tennessee too?

jacob

Banned
So you would be ok with Lane coming here, letting a bunch of players who got kicked out of other schools transfer in, and hire a Briles to go 8-4? Hard pass

You want him to start prostituting our female students out to recruits like he was allowing at Tennessee too?
Lane wouldn't have to let players transfer in. He would actually recruit and take advantage of are location.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No intensity first half. Looked like a typical Tech away game team. We were lucky to have a lead

Pass blocking looks worse every week.

Our receivers are below average at getting open. Jeune only looks good by comparison.

TaQuan has not improved a jot in passing accuracy as the season has gone on. He cannot throw a deep ball.

The combination of big receiver covered by small DB and perfectly thrown pass will win every time. Nothing you can really do about it but pressure the QB.

No sacks and not even any hurries I can remember. And that with Simmons playing most of the snaps. If a high school DE wants a sure starting position next year, look at GT.

Just because we played putrid yesterday doesn't mean we can't beat VT next week. I have never understood it, but the same group of players can play totally different the next week.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson is starting to remind me a lot of Hewitt. And the football program is starting to remind me a lot of the basketball program under Hewitt.

Some passionate haters. Some passionate defenders. Some favorite things to complain about that consistently never got better (inbounding the ball and FT shooting under Hewitt...the passing game under Johnson).

Each coach led us to some success, especially early in their tenure. But as time went on, the records seemed to be getting worse and worse.

Neither could effectively compete in their conference anymore.

It took us too long to part ways with Hewitt, and cost us way too much money. I just hope we are financially smart in how we handle the Johnson situation.

I also fear that ticket sales and attendance will now start to plunge with CPJ at the helm. More and more core fans are losing faith in the program. CPJ doesn't really seem willing to make the changes necessary to at least appear to be competing.

I recognize that GT has many built-ion disadvantages, and that changing our football coach is unlikely to change our fortunes on the field, per se.

Interesting analogy. I like it

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
For Shame...FOR SHAME...
Is this not why you root for GT? Because you recognize the almost insurmountable challenges posed by the modern College game towards academic integrity and demand the line be held.
Are you now in a dark time to mutter amongst yourselves about a change in leadership? A change in standards? Would you give away the chance to be a successful beacon shining in the outer darkness of moral and ethical decay to be who? Auburn? CLEMSON? God Forbid...UGA?
For Shame...
We are here because we know that this program creates MEN. MEN who are equipped to go out into the world and make it a better place. To do this there must be challenges and adversity, and in the face of that a steeling of nerves and a strengthening of resolve. Men are not defined by wins and loses but by their reaction to those things.
Gird yourselves, it is a dark time. But recall fondly the wins that came last year after a similar dark time. Remember that it’s not over until it’s over. These fires of loss and disappointment serve to burn away the dross of negativity that comes from those who just wish to revel in misfortune of others. What’s left is pure Gold.