Virginia postgame discussion

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
Sooooo a terrible team?
Jacob, I have read your complaints about the program in probably 3-4 threads at this point. I'm happy to know you are vested in the program and want it to be successful. With that being said, at no point have you offered any ideas of how to make things better. What coach should GT hire, what scheme should we run, how can we get kids into & out of school? Instead, all you have done is continually criticize the program although that does nothing to make it better. Instead of bitching, let's hear your ideas!!!

jacob

Banned
Jacob, I have read your complaints about the program in probably 3-4 threads at this point. I'm happy to know you are vested in the program and want it to be successful. With that being said, at no point have you offered any ideas of how to make things better. What coach should GT hire, what scheme should we run, how can we get kids into & out of school? Instead, all you have done is continually criticize the program although that does nothing to make it better. Instead of bitching, let's hear your ideas!!!
Um I've only posted twice today so it could be alot worse.

It’s not about changing coaches it’s called stubborn coaching adding to its repertoire. Being 1 dimensional hurts recruiting and obviously hurts the product on the field.

I’m still kinda curious why we even have recruiting threads for players since you know we don’t get any with any talent or so I’m told on this board.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Was AJ Gray out this game? Saw a lot of Christian Campbell. He looks promising but inexperienced. Injuries are starting to pile up. Is Jordan still hutt?

Didnt realize Will Bryan was limited.

Lack of pass rush really hurt us on the deep throws. If you dont give a cushion someone's got to get home. Did we have a single sack yesterday?

On O just looked like defenders beating blocks and missed assignments all over the place.

STs no comment.

To our credit we fought hard. UVA's punter is unreal. Just havr to try and get healthy and keep getting better.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I hope we take our chances with a new coach b/c we are entitled & have unrealistic expectations. I can't wait until we fall into the Texas, Florida, UCLA, USC, Tennessee, Miami (until Richt) category of underachieving versus prior results! Sign me up ASAP!!

Bingo. Some of us here are in an alternate universe with the expectations. There are struggling schools even for the factory schools and I'm glad we're not them... There are schools that fire 10-win coaches. I'm glad we're not them. There are schools with fan base that worship football and it's the only thing that matters in life. I'm glad we're not them. As long as we compete for ACC crown every few years and put up a decent win record like last year, I'm happy. I'll take the win years with the loss years and if we get miracle years like 2009 and 2014, that's way better icing on the cake than I'd ever expect.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ok still doesn't feel any better the next day. We've lost to 2 complete trash cans of teams this year. I don't see how it gets any worse than that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
2015 was easier for me because I at least closed out the weekend with a Panthers victory. But now even they lose to the Virginia equivalent of the NFL Chicago Bears.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I just think Clemson / Miami beat us twice. This team just looked much better earlier in the season. Rain, Injuries and the mental aspect have all seem to hit this team in every area. If this team can pull it together the next 3 games that would be amazing. CPJ has work to do to fix the bleeding.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree with you. I just would apportion the lions share of blame to the O and ST. D had a chance to win it and whiffed at the end, but again, considering the awful positions they were put in, I think the D did a decent job.
The issue on offense is pretty simple. We can’t block the inside linebacker. Basically what’s happening is, usually, the end is taking Benson, so the read is to go outside. But our tackles are so bad that they can’t seal the backer from getting into the alley. All the numbers advantages are gone. And this brings up an issue no one wants to talk about, but it’s attrition. Chris Griffin, Andrew Marshall, Trey Klock, and Eason Fromoyan would all be seniors, and they’re all better than the guys we have out there now.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A very disappointing loss yesterday. It is, in my view, the equivalent of losing to a high school team. And, as one poster said, this far into a coach's tenure, you don't lose games you aren't supposed to lose. Having said that, here are a few thoughts:
  • CPJ and the TO. I think CPJ and the TO are perfect fits for Tech. But you can't win if you don't execute and this has been a recurring theme for some time.
  • Intensity. Yesterday, a UGA broadcaster made the observation that the greatest thing Kirby Smart has done is to give the Dawg's the confidence that they can win, anywhere and at a anytime. And should. Intensity doesn't need new locker rooms, or iPhone ports, or massages. It needs a single-minded focus to play one play, the next play, perfectly. Tech teams don't seem to exhibit this.
  • Consistency. Zero. With our academics and schedule, 7-5 or 8-4 is realistic. Sad to say, but are still not there. Sometimes, it seems like it's the Unicorn.
Finally, as some of you know, I like to follow the trials and tribulations of UT and one Lane Kiffin. GT is not UT. We actually have a much better coach in CPJ than UT does, but the rest of the "system" appears to be missing (e.g., recruiting, game analysts, quality staff, etc.). And yes, the AA sucks in terms of managing its financial house. I'm optimistic that TStan gets it.

Now, about Mr. Lane. Lane is a bad boy. But, he is an offensive genius. And so far, he has taken FAU from a nothing to 5-0 conference record and bowl eligible in his first year. Won five straight games. May surpass Howard Schnellenberger and set a new win record for FAU.

Now Lane has a chip on his shoulder and is out to prove he can coach. And it looks like he can. I only ask, why are we asking ourselves these same questions at this point in CPJ's tenure? It seems to me that CPJ can coach ... but can he run a major football program? I still don't know. Probably not.

As I sit here I am wondering, what would a younger, more aggressive coach do that CPJ is not doing? What would somebody like Kiffin do for the EXACT SAME PLAYERS that we have today? Would he lose? Or create a game plan and WIN? An interesting thought experiment.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
On the bright side, it looks like we have a stud in swilling at LB, Campbell looked like he could turn out to be a good player, he was flying around (I was surprised to see him though). Branch is back next year along with Saint-Amour, Alexander and Gray. Kerr and Simmons have looked good at DB when in the games. We have a ton of skilled guys coming back with most OL but we still need more on the OL. Plus we have a pleather of QB's. Add all this with the past two really good recruiting classes and hopefully we can have a break out year next year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
On the bright side, it looks like we have a stud in swilling at LB, Campbell looked like he could turn out to be a good player, he was flying around (I was surprised to see him though). Branch is back next year along with Saint-Amour, Alexander and Gray. Kerr and Simmons have looked good at DB when in the games. We have a ton of skilled guys coming back with most OL but we still need more on the OL. Plus we have a pleather of QB's. Add all this with the past two really good recruiting classes and hopefully we can have a break out year next year.
Sometimes it does pay off to see how a player looks in a game.

jacob

Banned
A very disappointing loss yesterday. It is, in my view, the equivalent of losing to a high school team. And, as one poster said, this far into a coach's tenure, you don't lose games you aren't supposed to lose. Having said that, here are a few thoughts:
  • CPJ and the TO. I think CPJ and the TO are perfect fits for Tech. But you can't win if you don't execute and this has been a recurring theme for some time.
  • Intensity. Yesterday, a UGA broadcaster made the observation that the greatest thing Kirby Smart has done is to give the Dawg's the confidence that they can win, anywhere and at a anytime. And should. Intensity doesn't need new locker rooms, or iPhone ports, or massages. It needs a single-minded focus to play one play, the next play, perfectly. Tech teams don't seem to exhibit this.
  • Consistency. Zero. With our academics and schedule, 7-5 or 8-4 is realistic. Sad to say, but are still not there. Sometimes, it seems like it's the Unicorn.
Finally, as some of you know, I like to follow the trials and tribulations of UT and one Lane Kiffin. GT is not UT. We actually have a much better coach in CPJ than UT does, but the rest of the "system" appears to be missing (e.g., recruiting, game analysts, quality staff, etc.). And yes, the AA sucks in terms of managing its financial house. I'm optimistic that TStan gets it.

Now, about Mr. Lane. Lane is a bad boy. But, he is an offensive genius. And so far, he has taken FAU from a nothing to 5-0 conference record and bowl eligible in his first year. Won five straight games. May surpass Howard Schnellenberger and set a new win record for FAU.

Now Lane has a chip on his shoulder and is out to prove he can coach. And it looks like he can. I only ask, why are we asking ourselves these same questions at this point in CPJ's tenure? It seems to me that CPJ can coach ... but can he run a major football program? I still don't know. Probably not.

As I sit here I am wondering, what would a younger, more aggressive coach do that CPJ is not doing? What would somebody like Kiffin do for the EXACT SAME PLAYERS that we have today? Would he lose? Or create a game plan and WIN? An interesting thought experiment.
Lane Kiffin at GT is getting me pumped up! It sounds crazy but I think that would be awesome