Virginia postgame discussion

jacob

Banned
Everybody wants to be in the top 10 or 25. just like everyone who started with us as freshmen at Gt wanted a GT diploma.Or everyone who is overweight says they want to lose weight. The real issue is not the "want to"...it's a matter of making a plan and sticking to it. This is what separates the "want to's" from the "can do's". BTW, I am not sure if the admin at the school even has the "want to" in this case. I think they are indifferent.
Serious question. Do you think Tstan can convince the admin at the school to want It?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting under Gailey was fine--and things haven't changed that much in 10 years. If you don't believe it, then how did Johnson go 20-7 his first two years with Gailey's staff's recruits, and he hasn't come close to a similar two year record since. Johnson is a much better offensive coordinator than Gailey, who was not good at all at the college game, but Johnson's staff is not as good as Gailey's staff at recruiting Like every other program, we have to have good recruiting and good coaching, something we haven't seen since O'Leary/Friedgen.
Gailey had one recruiting class in the top 50 according to rivals. Lets not rewrite his history too much.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We still do not have enough good players on both sides of the ball. The difference between 2014 and even 2016 to lesser degree, compared to this year and most others, are a few good ( or bad) breaks and our paper thin depth. Lose a LB, or OL or two and it shows up BIG TIME. If this is the best CPJ, or any coach can do at Tech, because of limited curriculum or funds, or support, then Fans "It is what it is". Until some radical changes are made - admissions, majors, coaches, etc., we are the very definition of slightly above average with an occasional cup of coffee in the Penthouse. That translates to 7-5 most years ( 4-4 in conference, beat the patsies and lose to the DWAGS) = mediocre bowl in Shreveport, or Nashville, or similar. When all the stars align, every 6 or 7 years, we get 11-3. Barely relevant in Georgia, not at all nationally.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are not correct about majors. Tech has more majors than ever, including liberal arts majors. When I was there, it was engineering, management, architecture, math or science. Not so these days. And the one year of non-engineering calculus that liberal arts requires is not what is holding back recruiting. That's just another excuse.

GT has about 45 majors. None are true liberal arts majors, as they confer BS degrees, not BA degrees.

Also, it's not only the limited amount of majors, (we offer roughly a third of what our FBS competition offers), it's the variety of majors. We don't have many "fluff" majors, and have to use minors in order to even claim we compare with some other schools. It's not apples to apples. But the calculus issue is oversimplified by both sides. While it can be just an excuse for some, it's also a very real issue with some recruits, so much so, that it's used against us in negative recruiting.

http://www.gatech.edu/academics/bachelors-degree-programs

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Why is anyone surprised our recruiting is mediocre? Our fans are mediocre. We have a modestly sized stadium, and we can’t fill it. I don’t blame kids for wanting to play elsewhere. We gripe like we are entitled to something, but when it comes time to put up some investment, be it financial or emotional, we don’t do it. Want better? Be better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why is anyone surprised our recruiting is mediocre? Our fans are mediocre. We have a modestly sized stadium, and we can’t fill it. I don’t blame kids for wanting to play elsewhere. We gripe like we are entitled to something, but when it comes time to put up some investment, be it financial or emotional, we don’t do it. Want better? Be better.

This. I always laugh a little when our fans call other fan bases delusional, yet we always digress to this after a loss...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You are correct that money is a key issue. So many expensive mistakes were made by Braine, Radakovich and Bobinsky, none of whom were good fund raisers. Spend money and don't raise money, and problems will follow. Raising money is not outside of the AA's hands--quite the opposite.

You are not correct about majors. Tech has more majors than ever, including liberal arts majors. When I was there, it was engineering, management, architecture, math or science. Not so these days. And the one year of non-engineering calculus that liberal arts requires is not what is holding back recruiting. That's just another excuse.

Recruiting under Gailey was fine--and things haven't changed that much in 10 years. If you don't believe it, then how did Johnson go 20-7 his first two years with Gailey's staff's recruits, and he hasn't come close to a similar two year record since. Johnson is a much better offensive coordinator than Gailey, who was not good at all at the college game, but Johnson's staff is not as good as Gailey's staff at recruiting Like every other program, we have to have good recruiting and good coaching, something we haven't seen since O'Leary/Friedgen.

More money would help, but you won't convince me that is the only problem. There used to be alumni who would fly assistants on recruiting trips as a donation. I am not as close to the program as I was in the 80's, but I don't know why that would not still be the case. Why is the recruiting footprint so much smaller than it was under O'Leary?
I'm not saying we have less majors or some of the other stuff you are saying compared to prior years. I'm saying we are behind to ball more now than we were before. We have less money compared to other schools even if we have more money for our school now compared to years in past. That's what I'm trying to get at. If you don't see that then that's ok, but when a school doesn't require calculus, has more money, and double the the majors that does affect our recruiting. How could it not?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
This. I always laugh a little when our fans call other fan bases delusional, yet we always digress to this after a loss...
We act like we’ve given our team everything it needs to be successful. The real irony of it is that the people to gripe the loudest are always - always - the same ones posting during the games, which probably means they aren’t at the games, which probably means their investment is $0.00, which probably affects the return a rational person would expect.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
On the subject of majors, here are the totals for comparison:

GT has 46 majors
uga has 130 majors
bama has 72 majors
Clemson has 80 majors
USCe has 100 majors
Auburn has 77 majors
Tennessee has 100+ majors
Stanford has 56 majors

Hate to open the Stanford can of worms again, but they are the school most like us, yet recruit well and play well the last decade. We can debate ad nauseum their majors vs ours, but the real difference between our two programs is the $270+ million athletics endowment Stanford is operating with. I would imagine that with $270 million earmarked solely for athletics, we'd be a bit better as well...

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think Clemson and TCU for example have become more relevant recently?
Clemson enrollment about equal to Tech at 23,000. Number of majors: 80.
TCU enrollment at about 11,000. Number of majors over 100.
Something for just about everyone with a pulse and a 4.35 40 yard dash.
Get the picture?