Virginia postgame discussion

I didn’t say we needed a change but if all you work on is what you are “expert” at and it isn’t working I guess we are just up **** creek without a paddle. See people who love him to death or use the excuse of money. I’m not asking for a coaching change I’m asking for some kind of a passing attack to go with what he is supposedly an expert at option football

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You tell me is what we are doing working

Yes, but not consistently this year. Three points for the three units:

1. The O usually works well, but has been inconsistent this year. History suggests CPJ can and will fix this unit.
2. The D usually stinks, but has been surprisingly decent this year. CTR is getting better talent on D and it's showing.
3. ST is close to dumpster fire bad. Losing Butker was going to hurt, but I think we are all shocked by how steep a cliff this unit fell off of.

So basically as a sidewalk fan when the option is pretty much shutdown ie see any game with h athletic defense we should just grin and bear it. I disagree we work on our weaknesses to get better at them. If he is such a “expert” at the option game then work on the passing game to become more proficient at that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
How would we know tech wreck that’s what I’m saying. You are assuming that. We will never know because CPJ is stubborn and arrogant and will not try anything else.
Because of what we have done in the past, before CPJ. And back then recruiting was better because we were more up to date with what the other teams had. Yet we didn't do any better than what we are doing now.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we talk about the quarterback for a minute? That's the one major change from last year and surprise - the offense runs differently and inconsistently.

TaQuon's strengths are his elusiveness and speed in the open field, but he's obviously uncomfortable pitching it to the A-backs, which limits the offense. Last year's playmakers Lynch and Searcy have practically disappeared, and that's on him. The defense is playing better than last year, especially on 3rd down. The line is opening holes. The a-backs are the same group of guys. Difference is Marshall keeps it way more than he should and defenses are keying on him.

Matthew Jordan rarely pitched either but at least he's a big strong guy who can get dependable yards in between the tackles. I think we've seen TaQuon's abilities & limitations in how he runs the offense, and it's time to start some kind of a qb rotation to keep the defense off balance. Marshall's style has won games for us (Pitt, UNC, Wake, Tennessee-oops) but sorry he's also lost us some games with bad reads, keeping too much. and poor execution (namely Tennessee, Miami, Virginia, and yes even Clemson).

Last edited:
Red Pete that falls back on the head coach he has to make that call. As we can plainly see he will not. That is why I call him arrogant and stubborn. He’ll have the 3rd string offense do all passing in practice so that maybe we can have at least a chance when the option offense isn’t working.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So basically as a sidewalk fan when the option is pretty much shutdown ie see any game with h athletic defense we should just grin and bear it. I disagree we work on our weaknesses to get better at them. If he is such a “expert” at the option game then work on the passing game to become more proficient at that.
We need better players. We need to recruit better but that won't get much better until the other things I have talked about change imo.

VT, UGA, duke left on the schedule with the way we are performing it’s tough to say it but we may lose out. Vt and iga definitely have athletes on def

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have read most of this stuff. I don't want to get in the blame game. Obviously ST was terrible - except Simmons block. I did not think the defense played well at all except Jordan Swilling and maybe Simmons/Branch. UVA dropped a ton of passes. One time the announcer stated, the UVA lead might be a lot bigger had they not dropped so many balls. He was right on that one comment - if not on any others. So despite some 3 and outs, you have to remember the D was helped by UVA. No rush despite blitzes, the secondary was a sive. UVA hit a couple of nice passes over #17. But slants were there all day as were quick outside passes. And yet we had a chance to win if we could make a defensive play and we couldn't.

We also are a bit snakebit. The extra point off both goal posts and in hurt.

Better players I hear that crap all the time. I call bull****. Good coaches coach up players. Mitchell Gatorade player of the year tenn AJ Gray Georgia. That’s naming a couple of em. We WILL NEVER get 5 star athletes accept that and understand we need a coach that can coach up talent.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
This is one of these seasons you just have to shake your head at. We start by losing a game to TN that never should have happened...way too many chances to win that one. Then we lose one in Miami that is still hard to get my hands around. I think this team is a bit snake bitten and definitely missing something. Don't know how you fix it. This may just be a season that we will have to forget once it is over. Still think we have a decent chance to beat VT but everybody needs to get on board and play their A game including our coaches.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This kills me. We hired the well known expert in option football, and yet would rather he throw away all his knowledge to run a system he isn't familiar with.

Or maybe you're saying we should hire an OC to run a new system? Well that leads to two questions:

1. Where would we get the money?
2. Why keep CPJ if we think the offense needs to change?

I just don't follow the logic here...

Can't follow what doesn't exist.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Better players I hear that crap all the time. I call bull****. Good coaches coach up players. Mitchell Gatorade player of the year tenn AJ Gray Georgia. That’s naming a couple of em. We WILL NEVER get 5 star athletes accept that and understand we need a coach that can coach up talent.
Lol coaches up players? What other coach take a group of kids ranked in the 50's nationally and takes them to orange bowls? Takes them to multiple ACCCG's, consistently ends in the top 35? CPJ most definitely coaches the kids up but when other schools are recruiting better and coaching kids up there's not much more you can do.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok I see your a CPJ apologist we didn’t have talent then either so what are you trying to say besides contradictions.
Its not just about CPJ. All I'm saying is no other coach will come in and do any better imo. I've stated facts about what he has done for the program that other coaches in recent history haven't done. I'm also posting facts about our limitations at GT.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We all knew we left too much time on the clock after we scored our last TD. It seems like our defense almost never holds on an opponent's last drive. I have been watching Tech for many years and I don't think I have ever seen us play poorly in EVERY facet of a game: blocking, punting, tackling, passing, special teams, pass rushing, pass coverage and, yes, coaching. Virginia played inspired football for them today and our team was flat and lifeless. Yes, we had several great efforts from some players, but it is a team game. And, finally, we have, I thought, some bright SAs. So, why do we have so many "missed assignments" every freaking game???? Oh, but we did NOT lose a fumble!!!

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think you’re seeing clearly..we lost to a very bad Virginia and Tennessee team..we lose basically our whole defense next year as well.
Yeah, I hope we take our chances with a new coach b/c we are entitled & have unrealistic expectations. I can't wait until we fall into the Texas, Florida, UCLA, USC, Tennessee, Miami (until Richt) category of underachieving versus prior results! Sign me up ASAP!!

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We've just let so many guys go untouched through our line the last two games. OLine is struggling bad and it isn't just one or two guys. The entire unit seems to have turned into a sieve.