Virginia postgame discussion

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The defense gave up two proper scoring drives, had a pick 6, and another TO setting up the offense with an extremely short field for another TD. 26 of UVA's 40 points either came as a direct result of ST or the offense, or UVA starting well inside our territory. Sorry, but hiding under the "I'm blaming all 3 phases" is bs. The D so far outplayed the other two facets of this game it isn't funny. Yes you can always find something wrong in every game on all sides of the ball. That doesn't make it a team loss.
Go read my fourth post down on this page of the thread. The D didn't stop Virginia when it mattered after The O scored when it did matter. They also gave up three long TD passes. Is three long TD passes acceptable? This was a team loss. And if you want to blame anyone why not the special teams the made GT start behind the 20 yard line many times or allowed Virginia to have the short fields? My post above will explain why it's a team loss. Teams playing bad in all facets at times doesn't always mean a team loss like you said, but I can point to atleast 4 reasons on D, O and ST as to why we lost.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Go read my fourth post down on this page of the thread. The D didn't stop Virginia when it mattered after The O scored when it did matter. They also gave up three long TD passes. Is three long TD passes acceptable? This was a team loss. And if you want to blame anyone why not the special teams the made GT start behind the 20 yard line many times or allowed Virginia to have the short fields? My post above will explain why it's a team loss.

The entire ****ing game matters. Not just the last 5 minutes.

Also the O didn't score on their last drive, so why didn't that drive matter?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The entire ****ing game matters. Not just the last 5 minutes.

Also the O didn't score on their last drive, so why didn't that drive matter?
Go back and read my other post and you will see my opinion. It will give you more insight to what I think. Page 7 comment 4.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of stuff happened in this game, but for me the difference came down to their ability to pick up our blitzes, and our inability to pick up theirs. Their long completions were all made when we were blitzing them, and they gave their QB plenty of time to make the accurate throws required to complete those passes. They blitzed us a bunch today and they almost always had at least one running free unblocked, forcing Taquon to run for his life.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Point blank anytime we pass 22 times in a game there is a 97% chance we will lose. 99% if it's not a noon KO

( I just made up that stat so it would look like I know what I'm talking about after a loss )

stech81

Helluva Engineer
A lot of stuff happened in this game, but for me the difference came down to their ability to pick up our blitzes, and our inability to pick up theirs. Their long completions were all made when we were blitzing them, and they gave their QB plenty of time to make the accurate throws required to complete those passes. They blitzed us a bunch today and they almost always had at least one running free unblocked, forcing Taquon to run for his life.
Hi Texwood glad to see you here.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Forgot about the kickoff return, but I'm not blaming the D or the O. I was just making that statement to show it wasn't just on the offense. It was a team loss. I explained it in my above post.

I tend to agree with you. I just would apportion the lions share of blame to the O and ST. D had a chance to win it and whiffed at the end, but again, considering the awful positions they were put in, I think the D did a decent job.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line: we are just not well coached. Look at Brad on punt returns. Look at our pass blocking. Look at kick coverage. Look at some defensive alignments, tackling, and coverage. It's okay to lose, but to be so fundamentally poor is another story. I think PJ has lost his edge. We should have blown that UVA team off the field after going up two scores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Go back and read my other post and you will see my opinion. It will give you more insight to what I think. Page 7 comment 4.

I read that comment and it was nonsense since it still claimed that the defense gave up 38 and still tries to over glorify the last 5 minutes of a game as if it is more important than the rest of the game.

I know what you think. What you think is silly.

Offense scored 4 TDs, one coming off a TO deep in UVA territory, gave UVA a turnover deep in our territory, couldn't capitalize off a blocked punt. But they scored on their second to last possession so that apparently means they came in "clutch" when it "mattered".

ST was terrible outside of the blocked punt. And they blocked a punt.

Defense gave up 31 points, but 17 of those off of short fields for UVA, scored 7 themselves, and effectively scored 7 more through a turnover deep in UVA territory. Gave up a last drive TD to UVA so apparently they didn't get it done when it mattered even though for 5 drives after UVA tied it up, they went punt, punt, FG off a short field, punt, punt, with three of those being 3 and outs. But apparently that isn't being clutch or performing when it matters. Because reasons.

The fact is only one side of the ball played anything near well today. And the defense did play well. This wasn't a team loss. The loss was on terrible special teams, and well below average offense. And a good defense couldn't overcome that.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Minimal role. Bad field position and unsustained drives were what killed us. Scoring 29 points against UVAs D is the clicncher...
Wait, score 29’in the rain shouldn’t you expect to win?

I think we were awful in all phases personally. ST more than anything but dang, did anyone not expect the cavs to drive and score after we did with a couple mins left?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wait, score 29’in the rain shouldn’t you expect to win?

I think we were awful in all phases personally. ST more than anything but dang, did anyone not expect the cavs to drive and score after we did with a couple mins left?

I'm not sure where you got that adage from, but no, it's not a prerequisite for winning in the rain...