Virginia postgame discussion

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Eventually all the CPJ lovers have to realize the offense is now a weakness as well

I'm a fan of CPJ, and I'll readily admit the O has been a weakness at points this year. The talent is there, we've just not consistently executing plays. The difference is that I am confident he can correct it. The D improvement was what I was most worried about, and CTR has it trending in a positive direction. The ST were bound to take a step back, but this is ridiculous.

Probably not the reply you were looking for, but I'm not going full chicken little just yet.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
UVA has over a hundred majors and many of them are even non-STEM. There is simply no way we can recruit against them and beat them. We should all be happy the game was as close as it is.

Then the ONLY thing to do is drop football and resign from the ACC.

We need to just totally fund a basketball program like Georgetown does.

Are “Tech Men” really so stupid, if your assertion is true, to keep throwing all this money away? How ignorant. But GT has never been known as an institution that placed any premium on common sense in its education of students. They would rather, instead of teaching students to get out of the rain, try to get them to figure out why H2O makes one wet, and why it obeys the laws of gravity, and what % H and O is absorbed the quickest by your clothing, and if the wind shifts will you still get wet; Instead of just getting the **** out of the rain.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Telling stat: Only two of UVA's scoring drives were longer than 38 yards.

ST and O lost this game. Not the Defense.
Special team, offense and Defense lost the game. I could switch it around and say the offense started inside their own 10, what, 3 or 4 times? And so the D and special teams lost the game. But really it's a team loss in this one.

Special teams gave up a TD, and great field position so when Virginia did have to punt they could pin our offense back.

Offense turned the ball over to much, had a fumble in the end zone, and had a bad day blocking.

Defense gave up 3 big TD passes, and couldn't stop Virginia in the clutch, and gave up 38 points. one of the scoring drives you are talking about being over 38 yards was for The win.

You could literally spin this loss anyway you want. The D couldn't make a clutch stop after the offense scored in a clutch way to take the lead. The offense turned the ball over to much and didnt move the ball so the d had short fields. The special teams was just bad all around and caused the D to have short fields and offense to be backed way up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So I don't care if a kid is that accurate. Give a scholarship to a kicker that can put it into the end zone with no run back. We have a fairly accurate kicker but cannot kick it far enough. We don't make it to 85 and give schollies to walkons. Our ST play has been so bad under PJ this seems a no brainer. That would help our crappy ST play faster than any one other position.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Defense gave up 29 and gave the offense 7 pts

So net 22. Season avg
Forgot about the kickoff return, but I'm not blaming the D or the O. I was just making that statement to show it wasn't just on the offense. It was a team loss. I explained it in my above post.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Loss is on the offense lol? When it came down to the end, they were clutch and put the team ahead. The D did not make a stop when we needed it. The defense also gave up 38 points, even if the offense was clicking on all cylinders we could have scored 35 and still lost.

The Defense only gave up 31 points. ST gave up 7. O gave up 2. But again, only two UVA scoring drives had to go longer than 38 yards.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
lmao, defense didn't give up 38. They gave up 31 at most, unless you blame them for the KO return. And that is with several UVA drives starting on our side of the field. Plus, they also scored 7 and got a turnover setting up another TD from the uva 14. At worst the defense gave up a net of 24 today, and when you factor in other things it was well less than that. And sorry, the last 5 minutes isn't the only thing that matters. Offense needs to step up and do something before then.
I forgot about the kickoff, but my post wasn't to make it as if the loss was on the D. My post was to show it wasn't just on the O. It was a team loss. I point it out in an above post.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen recruiting lately? That’s not true. I swear we are our own worst enemy as a fan base perpetuating the same stereotypes that we are trying to debunk

Have you seen the fact that our head coach is literally an offensive coordinator with a different title? Why do you think we constantly struggle to get pressure on QBs? Constantly struggle to cover TEs or defend basic routes at times? The choice we have made with our head coach and his offense handicaps the defense. I don't care if Roof has managed to improve recruiting on that side a little. When the offense provides no ability for the defense to practice against common high level aspects of common offenses, then it is silly to act like the defense should be the strength.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Up 28-13, and their offense has only generated one scoring drive and that for a field goal ... that's a game you should win. No ifs, ands or buts.
Up 36-33 late and we can't cover and still can't generate any pressure on a quarterback who was under 50 percent completion percentage? Inexcusable.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ just can't accept that his O has been figured out. He needs to evaluate his weaknesses. I'm afraid he is just too stubborn to accept it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Forgot about the kickoff return, but I'm not blaming the D or the O. I was just making that statement to show it wasn't just on the offense. It was a team loss. I explained it in my above post.

The defense gave up two proper scoring drives, had a pick 6, and another TO setting up the offense with an extremely short field for another TD. 26 of UVA's 40 points either came as a direct result of ST or the offense, or UVA starting well inside our territory. Sorry, but hiding under the "I'm blaming all 3 phases" is bs. The D so far outplayed the other two facets of this game it isn't funny. Yes you can always find something wrong in every game on all sides of the ball. That doesn't make it a team loss.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
PJ just can't accept that his O has been figured out. He needs to evaluate his weaknesses. I'm afraid he is just too stubborn to accept it.
Lol when a player misses his block and it turns into a 1 yard loss instead of a 10 yard gain that means a team figured CPJ's offense out? Why didn't all the teams hold us to under 30? This happens every year, teams stop us some and some don't. That's just football. It literally happens to every team. Have teams figured out Ohio states offense style? No, they just aren't executing good at times and then other games they are balling out. That's the same thing that has happened with GT.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Special teams gave up 13 points. I called it when we did it, but the onside kick was probably the worst decision I've ever seen Paul make. We had just stopped them on a 3 and out and he pulls that BS.
Offense gave us the lead late, with 3 minutes left, and we let them drive it right down our throats. Good on the kid for hitting the throw, and the catches were fantastic, but good teams get a stop there.
Offense is wildly inconsistent. We can't pass pro to save our lives, and Taquon is missing some wide open receivers. Until we can hit the wide open pass more consistently, look for teams to sell out every play.

This is crunch time. If we can beat VT or Uga, and beat duke, I would consider this a decent season. Too many missed opportunities though.
With a middling ST, this team is 6-2.

Last edited: