Virginia postgame discussion

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The offense needs a serious re-evaluating. Not the QB or OL. The offense itself. The pass game is woefully underdeveloped, from the routes, to the blocking, to the fundamentals of the QB. And that isn't a one year, one QB, or one OL issue. Even last year, when people were saying our offense was great and we had a three year starter, we still never scored over 40 and we only won one game when the opposing team scored over 28, and that was in large part because the offense gave the ball to Duke twice with very short fields. 2015 was, well everyone knows that. You have to go back to the last half of 2014 for the offense to be something special, and a large part of that was just called gives to Sims behind a great OL.

Johnson is a great mind on the offense, but he's become complacent and doesn't feel the need to continue to improve the offense. The last time we decided to do anything new was the diamond, and it worked, but we quickly scrapped it and never really gave it a chance. But we have to change it up because we're becoming stale and the offense no longer provides the advantage that so many people claim that it does.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Loss is on the offense lol? When it came down to the end, they were clutch and put the team ahead. The D did not make a stop when we needed it. The defense also gave up 38 points, even if the offense was clicking on all cylinders we could have scored 35 and still lost.

There is blame in all three facets of the team. Don't lay it on just one of them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Loss is on the offense lol? When it came down to the end, they were clutch and put the team ahead. The D did not make a stop when we needed it. The defense also gave up 38 points, even if the offense was clicking on all cylinders we could have scored 35 and still lost.

lmao, defense didn't give up 38. They gave up 31 at most, unless you blame them for the KO return. And that is with several UVA drives starting on our side of the field. Plus, they also scored 7 and got a turnover setting up another TD from the uva 14. At worst the defense gave up a net of 24 today, and when you factor in other things it was well less than that. And sorry, the last 5 minutes isn't the only thing that matters. Offense needs to step up and do something before then.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA has over a hundred majors and many of them are even non-STEM. There is simply no way we can recruit against them and beat them. We should all be happy the game was as close as it is.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
T... The last time we decided to do anything new was the diamond, and it worked, but we quickly scrapped it and never really gave it a chance. But we have to change it up because we're becoming stale and the offense no longer provides the advantage that so many people claim that it does.

I don't remember the diamond working well consistently except for one game. Following games not so much.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Eventually all the CPJ lovers have to realize the offense is now a weakness as well

The offense is pretty down this year, but it's still decent. His worst Os are still pretty good and I think he's earned a rebuilding year with us losing Eason, Trey, and Andrew on OLine, Marshall and Mills at BBack, Clinton Lynch being hurt/recovering during the off-season and the beginning of this season and graduating one of the best QBs and probably our best kicker. Lots of us had our heads in the sand about how much we lost especially when we started so we'll (against what turned out to be a slew of awful teams) because we seem to always make it work.

In my mind this was the year the defense had seniors across the board and tons of experience everywhere else and were supposed to carry us through the rough patches. We lose Shamire, Ricky, and JJ I believe but everyone else is back next year. Defense we will lose a ton of starts so they should take a step back next year which can be kind of scary to think about.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
The offense needs a serious re-evaluating. Not the QB or OL. The offense itself. The pass game is woefully underdeveloped, from the routes, to the blocking, to the fundamentals of the QB. And that isn't a one year, one QB, or one OL issue. Even last year, when people were saying our offense was great and we had a three year starter, we still never scored over 40 and we only won one game when the opposing team scored over 28, and that was in large part because the offense gave the ball to Duke twice with very short fields. 2015 was, well everyone knows that. You have to go back to the last half of 2014 for the offense to be something special, and a large part of that was just called gives to Sims behind a great OL.

Johnson is a great mind on the offense, but he's become complacent and doesn't feel the need to continue to improve the offense. The last time we decided to do anything new was the diamond, and it worked, but we quickly scrapped it and never really gave it a chance. But we have to change it up because we're becoming stale and the offense no longer provides the advantage that so many people claim that it does.

Couldn't agree more. It has become a constant phrase in postgames about execution. That may be true, but I think there is some merit to the thought that this offense isn't putting our guys in a good spot to succeed.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UVA has over a hundred majors and many of them are even non-STEM. There is simply no way we can recruit against them and beat them. We should all be happy the game was as close as it is.

Please tell me that this is sarcasm.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We replaced our QB and BB this year. We knew there would be growing pains. The defense was supposed to be the strength this year with so many upper classmen. O has managed to put the D in a situation to win in close games 4
times this year and the D failed 3 times.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
lmao, defense didn't give up 38. They gave up 31 at most, unless you blame them for the KO return. And that is with several UVA drives starting on our side of the field. Plus, they also scored 7 and got a turnover setting up another TD from the uva 14. At worst the defense gave up a net of 24 today, and when you factor in other things it was well less than that. And sorry, the last 5 minutes isn't the only thing that matters. Offense needs to step up and do something before then.
Good points. Team loss regardless. Deficiencies in every phase of the game. D gave up too many 20+ yard plays. Special teams was, well ...special...like the short bus special. O coughed it up with too many with turnovers. One of those Charlottesville nightmares.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember the diamond working well consistently except for one game. Following games not so much.

Because we only really tried the diamond in two games. Duke, the win, and miami, where it was about as good as our base offense. The issue is we ran it maybe 4-5 times the rest of the games at most. A couple of years back I went back and charted every play from the offense that year until I think the UGA game, and that was the case. But people have retold the story that the diamond was ineffective and then we stopped running it as a defense of Johnson. Truth is Johnson just never really wanted to do it, and looked to scrap it after the first game we tried it in.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We replaced our QB and BB this year. We knew there would be growing pains. The defense was supposed to be the strength this year with so many upper classmen. O has managed to put the D in a situation to win in close games 4 times this year and the D failed 3 time.

With Paul Johnson as coach the defense is never supposed to be the strength. We invest everything in the offense.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
upload_2017-11-4_19-35-19.png

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Every loss is the same thing with Paul.
“Well MY GUYS didn’t block, MY GUYS didn’t execute.”
“We don’t have the Talent to be able to compete with a Team like them.”
“We don’t have talent because Tech is a tough academic school, we can’t recruit the same kids that UGA and Clemson do.” (Even though Stanford and ND do.)

I wish he would be honest with himself and admit that sometimes he gets outcoached. Paul has done a lot of good things for GT but he could do so much more. I’m not calling for his head I just want him to take a look in the mirror and realize that the W/L falls on him, excuses or not.

Also, The Defnese is the best unit on the field right now. I’m not sure what happened to TQM but he has gone full Vad Lee mode these past couple of games. Reads have been off, not sure why. Couple of passes he put to much air on and a couple of passes he just missed but he’s still our QB no reason to change just gotta coach him up this week. Bruce is a beast, Ted also did what some have suggested for years and tried to man up with UVA and we got beat deep a lot. We have guys on Defnese that can/will play on Sundays, offense maybe not. We can still make a bowl with 5 wins. We caught a lot of Breaks last couple of years : 2014 VT, 2014 UGA, 2016 Boston College, 2016 UGA. This year : none. We are couple plays away from being a 1 Loss team but so are plenty of teams. Gotta move on even thought it’s gonna be a tough week with all the UGA hype now that they are #1 and playing big game vs Auburn. #BeatVT