Vandy Postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On Shamire: I think Coach said it all last week. A reporter asked him if he was going to play a three guard rotation for awhile. He said yes. Between Devine and Braun? No, said Coach, the rotation will be between Bryan and Braun, if anyone. He's well aware of just how good Shamire is at his job.

Shamire did get spelled against Vandy and Mercer, but so did Bryan. I think this is due to the heat. This Thursday, I expect to see Shamire on the field 90% of the time. He's that good. Oth, Coach is one of those "great isn't enough" type football coaches. He rarely praises Justin Thomas or too much of anybody else highly either.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think coach gives praise but I think it's more internal (game balls, players of the game, etc) than during press conferences. I think he tends to speak in generalities during press conferences.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think coach gives praise but I think it's more internal (game balls, players of the game, etc) than during press conferences. I think he tends to speak in generalities during press conferences.
Sometimes his compliments are in the form of "When he wasn't getting his head handed to him he did okay." You have to toughen up to play for Johnson.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying its right or wrong but there is one other starter that seems to be treated in a similar manner as Shamire and that's Francis Kallon. We don't know what goes on outside of public statements - hopefully its more encouraging but have to trust the coach on how to bring players to their full potential - something that can help them get to the NFL.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
SD has had a weight and conditioning issue in the past. SD has a mind of his own. This summer he changed his mind and made a change. SD has proven he has the will power to correct the weight and conditioning issue. He is playing much better. I think the coaches had a role in helping SD achieve a higher level of performance.

I am so very glad SD is on the GT team.

CPJ calls them pretty good... how many times have we heard that guy will be on TV on Sunday with his opinion becoming fact in following years.

People play better when there is competition. There is nothing bad about competition. The lack of competition gives a lower level performance. PB is someone who will provide that competition and force all the guards to play at a higher level, even SD.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Not saying its right or wrong but there is one other starter that seems to be treated in a similar manner as Shamire and that's Francis Kallon. We don't know what goes on outside of public statements - hopefully its more encouraging but have to trust the coach on how to bring players to their full potential - something that can help them get to the NFL.
nfl is not the main goal an educated healthy positive productive man is the #1 goal from this higher learning experience. and winning because we don't work hard to lose . i believe when he 1st came , 1 of his statments was not clarified .it was said he "didn't care about the football part " what should of read he does'nt care what type of football he played.(because he would adapt) that was before he ,I knew what a triple option was

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
SD has had a weight and conditioning issue in the past. SD has a mind of his own. This summer he changed his mind and made a change. SD has proven he has the will power to correct the weight and conditioning issue. He is playing much better. I think the coaches had a role in helping SD achieve a higher level of performance.

I am so very glad SD is on the GT team.

CPJ calls them pretty good... how many times have we heard that guy will be on TV on Sunday with his opinion becoming fact in following years.

People play better when there is competition. There is nothing bad about competition. The lack of competition gives a lower level performance. PB is someone who will provide that competition and force all the guards to play at a higher level, even SD.
you are my best friend in my head .with out you i wouldn't or couldn't understand most of this type of play . but come on facts :"shamire had a wieght and conditioning issue in the past " or did he? they recruited him at that size no one actually knew how much he weighed until stepping on the gt scale(fact) would of been true freshman but got hurt in the spring game2013 (fact) almost burn the redshirt (Fact) 2 surgeries in 2013(fact) played behind a senior 2014 braun the rule then was up 2 scores @nd teams can get in (fact) that year cpj was only putting full units (did not do single players oline subs)(fact or what was said) 2014 when they finally gave the kid a chance he did well .still got pulled out to credit others (opinion) 2015 i can't right now to much. (fact)he is not the only 1 in need of conditioning.(?) why was he not in gt satisfactory condition ? i have facts and an opinion.you say what happen this summer?who told you that ?if he was granted interviews he would of said the same thing the year before and before that he has been working hard on his weight since day 1.that part has always been an issue for me. that is the card they(coaches ) pull when asked about him .it sounds morbidly overweight on paper .he is built different. i assumed they knew what to do with him 31/2 years later i see they didn't and don't.and imo no Pb isn't. let sd all the hard work + all the hard work time sacrifice he already put in so this guy or any guy can come in get put on a pedal stool to be held over his head .no sir not going down like that this year, when and if ever he do not earn, deserve and play hard to protect and complete his correct assignments to be on the field then put the bet man out there please its a team .to bad of shape to play ball, lack of effort, no desire ,unable to do just as the coaches ask all lies or opinion (nonfacts) this is just a honest friendly conversation LD i really appreciate you .you always kept it real. thank you don't stop, just keep bringing the facts on video. ps.. running off of shamires hip can be great if calculated right and communication remember he wears a size 19 shoe (fact) i think mills got it though,days had it. i am cool ,just waiting til Thursday.I pray my concerns don't turn into injury .i am very thankful but have more than 1 feeling (fact) lol please the opinion of i am a b 2 are not SD'S ( no one bother to ask him his opinion ,suggestion or how he feels or felt .so that is unknown to others (i asked) he is pretty honest ( that might not sit well with the cooperation ) (my opinion)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
@I am a b 2 , as a parent I appreciate your fierce devotion to your family.

I had roommates who played for CPJ at GSU, and to a man, they stated that he was an absolute hardass to play for, that nothing was ever good enough, and that being told "you didn't screw that up too badly" was praise to be cherished.

They also said, to a man, that the struggle of playing for a coach like that made them better men, and I know it made them better football players.

I coach myself, and always strive for the proper balance between praise and criticism. Sometimes I err too much on one side or the other, and I see coaches whom players adore who go either way. As a coach, I also know how sometimes a kid can vent frustrations to a family member, girlfriend, or another coach, when deep down they know some of what's going on is for their benefit.

Nobody on this board thinks SD isn't a model GT student athlete. In fact, he may be the quintessential one. We are all rooting for him 100%. Doesn't mean we think he's a finished product, but if he's giving his all and not misrepresenting his school or team, that's all we can ask!

I also think he'll be on the field the majority of snaps Thursday, and in all big games. As far as public praise goes, I wouldn't mind if it came more often for all the guys, but CPJ ain't Dabo. Both those guys are successful in their own way. I'm thrilled SD decided to come to GT, and glad you're on board the Swarm!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@I am a b 2 You are right, I am not there, and I don't know everything or really anything. I am just a fan, which is short for fanatic. I think, and I mean think, SD is much better prepared to play a whole game now than anytime in the past.

I don't know how these athletes do what they do... GT school and practice and film and workout and school work. I am amazed and grateful for all they go through.

SD is smart and will be setup for life with a GT degree... it is a good trade.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess I will chime in on the SD discussion. Sometimes what you want to hear and what you need to hear are two very different things, whether you are a family member or the player involved. I have no clue what SD is hearing from our staff on the inside, but I feel pretty clued in on the stuff that has been said in public. Overall, I think the staff has recognized his amazing potential, which I have always felt myself. But, they have have also recognized that he has a ways to go to actually reach it, which I also agree with, not because he is doing poorly, but because his ceiling is so high. Sometimes the best advice and mentorship is the absolute toughest to deal with at the time, but pays off greatly in the long run. I tend to look at things this way: imagine since his arrival, the staff constantly telling him that his state of readiness (whether body compostion, fitness, strength, knowledge, or techinique) was fine. We recruited him that way, afterall. He didn't need to eat better or work harder because he was good enough as is. How likely would it be that he comes anywhere close to his potential? It is pretty obvious to me that SD has worked much harder to get ready for this season than his first two. With that said, I can also tell you that there are tons of athletes out there that are doing more. There are guys who want that dream and they know they are on the bubble in terms of talent and they are finding every way they can to improve themselves just to have a shot. They are living in the weight room and managing their diets like a freak. They are running stadium steps, stretching, doing agility drills and the like all day long. I know because I have lived close to them and been involved with them myself. It is an extremely competitive world. Shamire has a huge advantage over these guys in that he is absolutely blessed with an amazing frame and athletic ability. He is not on the bubble in that sense. IMHO SD is just learning about what it takes, in terms of sacrifice. The last thing I would ever want to do is discourage that, but ultimately, it has to come from within.

I love the fact that PB is in the mix. It is great for the team. Having 3 guards ready to play at a high level will make all of them better. SD shouldn't worry. He should capitalize.

If SD can learn to execute this offense well in all phases of OG play, he will be way better heading into the pros. They do any and all of the stuff we ask our guys to do. They may pass block more often, but they need goal line run blocking and they need to cut people as well. SM took great advantage of this fact. He worked on his pass blocking some in pro camp, but being a solid run blocker with all of the needed skills really paid off. I don't buy for a minute that our offense doesn't help SD. It will if he buys in, embraces it, and makes it work for him.

I was some kind of impressed by SD's interview the other day. His candor, sense of humor, self deprecation, and obvious intellect were absolutely endearing to me. Being smart and willing to learn will help a lot at the next level too.

I am willing to bet, 10 years from now, when SD is a tenured veteran in the NFL, having signed a couple big contracts, he will look back at the GT staff (and experience in general) and be thankful for every bit of it because it made him a better man. CPJ may be a tough SOB, but so was my drill instructor and I have no illusions about how those salty SOBs made me a man. I don't seem to remember too many compliments coming my way. I'll tell you this though, after that experience, I never EVER doubted myself again. It has carried me and sustained me through life and I am so thankful.