Vandy Postgame

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm assuming you are personally connected to this student athlete. First I want to thank you for the representation your family member gives the Institute. I for one can still remember my time at Tech and the commitment and effort (suffering at times?) that it took to complete my degree. Your family member is doing that while also meeting the additional requirements of being a student athlete. Hats off to you and your family. I don't have any insight into the athletic department, but I would suggest in these situations we have to have faith and trust that our children's coaches (a) have our kid's best interest at heart and (b) will direct our kids to their maximum potential. In my eyes, this student athlete is playing his best college football this very year, and is still getting better game to game. The accolades always lag behind accomplishment, but his day in the sun is coming, I'm sure of it! It is known that fire brings us steel, and when this student athlete gets through with this season he too will be hardened like steel and see his best days are yet to come. GO TECH!

What a good post!
Like for so many of us Tech will make him, because he won't let him break him.
Not sure of the nature of the post about more coach encouragment for Sham.
Some high level observations about current situation as regards to playing time.
1. IMO coach is no longer stock piling shirts. NOW if you can help by end of year he is going to give u some reps early in year. Last year we burned Kerge at end of year and while he ok in uga game the added playing time really would have helped. We will have experience on bench.
2. As part of 1 guys like braun are going to play in some qualify time and a lot in 4th quarter of blow outs . Thanks in part to Sham they are blow outs.
3. Its early in year and its HOT AS XXXX. We have known that we have. Clemson on short week and it would be stupid to play the starters too much.
4. In mercer game Burden and Sham bulldozed the nose fackle at will showing u need more in the box. V put up the 4 4 defense and uncovered Sham, and pinched fhe middle.
5. Pass blocking is Rock solid between Burden and Sham. They are the foundation that lets nt step up into a pocket. Sham is so mobile yet powerful it is amazing. Note the extra time in the pocket makes the ab an easier target.
6. Except for bc sham is blocking lessor talented folks. For Sham complements for blocking against clemson, miami, Pittsburgh, vt uga will be remembered for a life time .
7. Coach Fisk, his position coaches, His family have helped HIM reshape his body this offseason.

We are watching and cant wait for uga meets sham.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Playing to one's potential is great. I might be concerned with the graduation success rate though. We aren't even in the Top 25. And before we jump into the debate over how hard Tech is ... Stanford is #1 at 99%. Not too shabby. I think we are somewhere in the mid-60's.

GSR, and FGR are horrible metrics. They judge a school for results from the previous six years and do not take transfers into account. The new NCAA metric of APR is much more accurate. GT scored a 987 out of a 1000 and finished second to Duke in the ACC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GSR, and FGR are horrible metrics. They judge a school for results from the previous six years and do not take transfers into account. The new NCAA metric of APR is much more accurate. GT scored a 987 out of a 1000 and finished second to Duke in the ACC.

I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
No I'm pretty sure the clip he posted was Bay Bay vs Gilchrist in Tampa.

Man that would have been a good joke if I had actually known what I was talking about (video didn't show up on my phone, I was basing it off a Smelter in 2014 comment because that was the same play). Whoops, I'll run some stadium steps to atone for my sins.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
My impression is that CPJ (and the staff by extension) is pleased exclusively with performance and playing to one's potential... Shamire follows a young man who met this requirement, and he was praised accordingly - and he now starts for a superbowl-caliber NFL team...

When Shamire plays to his ability, I have no doubt the staff will heap praise upon him - they owe him that, but only after it happens... If he were my son, I wouldn't want it any other way... #NFLca-ching
What ability is that ? Football as we knew is now different. Let him play his ability of football on his feet he is very affective.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Man that would have been a good joke if I had actually known what I was talking about (video didn't show up on my phone, I was basing it off a Smelter in 2014 comment because that was the same play). Whoops, I'll run some stadium steps to atone for my sins.
That was my original question - was the play to Jeune the same as the TD to Smelter, so thanks for answering my question. No need to run steps. :)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Am I wrong that we drive block a lot more than when CPJ first got here? It seems that way but I don't chart plays like some of you do.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What ability is that ? Football as we knew is now different. Let him play his ability of football on his feet he is very affective.

He's referring to Shaq Mason, who preceded Shamire, and Shanires potential, which we all think is huge. Shaq was similar to SD. Got a lot of praise first couple of years along with some criticisms. And Shaqs play improved every year. Much like SD is improving. I hear your criticism of using SD to cut block but that's a part of our and most every team out there blocking schemes. We do cut more than most. But improving his cut blocking, and pulling, etc....will improve his play overall and see him drafted higher as a result.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree SD excels at drive blocking. But I still see value in him cutting also. I dang sure wouldn't want 350 odd pounds of mean lineman crashing into my thighs as I persued the ball....a couple of those will slow down any DT, DE, or LB.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
@I am a b 2
I'm not certain exactly to what you refer so I'm hesitant to reply. Gonna take a stab at it though.

If it's playing time primarily....well for starters, he is starting. Doing so on what I believe is our most talented Oline in decades maybe (young but talented as hell). So just starting is a compliment. There is a rotation though certainly. I think that has far more to do with the talent of Braun than any negative associated with SD. That rotation benefits both players IMO by keeping both fresh throughout the game. Both guys also have different skill sets which allows coaches a bit more variety in play calling.

I don't perceive any slights to SD through his playing time though. I think I've seen coaches stay with him more when things get tight and the pressure is on. Leads me to assume the coaches know, appreciate, and utilize the guy they perceive most capable of helping us currently in given game situations. Does this mean SD can't get beat out for starting job eventually? No. He needs to continue to improve just like everyone else on the Oline. If he does, and he has a track record here so I expect he will, he will probably continue as our starter.

If you refer to public comments made by coaches. The only negatives I can really recall were in regards to SD's size and conditioning. Things I think (from his own comments) SD takes to heart, agrees with, and has been busting his butt to improve on (he and others on the team as well).

I can tell you this.....I certainly appreciate him. He's one of my favorites out there. :)
Thanks I finally seen most of the game thanks to longest day and gtbob .from the break down he had 90% to perfect game on his feet more 2nd level blocking a great pull above satisfactory pass blocking and mainly none if his men made the play.didn't look winded stayed in help secure a lead I even seen him get the middle lb today .1st string did their job and 2nd string avaible playing time I'd that wasn't worthy of a coaches compliment idk what is .I seen plenty of missed blocks and wrong doing. Still coaches had only good things to say about every 1 else.it's OK now I saw for myself .it showed facts to back my opinion. The coaches is pushing the young talent in the face of SD lace with threats to something he has earn to this point his starting position .yes he is still developing and striving to be and get better.which he has improved. A few mistakes they shouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus or on the bench or hung publicly. They won't praise publicly but quick to criticize and lie publicly. They want me to compare PB and SD OK .back to the film room from what I saw there is no comparison.. Not taking away from PB but speaking for SD .because not many have. I am seeing things different than what the coaches Re putting out.a true test will be on Thurs. All just my opinion .thanks again

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I
First and foremost, the fans on this forum love Shamire. I'm certain the coaches do too, they just want him to reach his full potential. My guess is they are a little frustrated with how to motivate Shamire, not all kids are motivated by the same things.

One thing I do know is that right guard is the most important position on the OL and likely the second most important position on the field after quarterback. Shamire is our starting right guard. There is nobody else the coaches want at that position than Shamire. We do have a talented back up getting snaps there, too, but that's understandable. The position takes a beating and the season is long. We're gonna need Shamire at full strength and health when we face the big boys, especially Uga later in the season. Him splitting reps is a very good thing, in my opinion. Also, it's never a bad thing to be pushed by competition. It's what brings out the best in all of us.
I fully agree healthy Shamire is the best Shamire .I agree competition is healthy. Please compare PB to SD. Motivation does come in different forms.(try a compliment)splitting reps is different than threats. The coach(seawak) could ,should have said any of what u did and it would of been welcomed.my issue is stop lying bashing ignoring his contributions .I also believe no need to have him in if not needed.I always said it don't take 4-8 minutes to make a touch down so because he did his job . there is plenty of time to give the next man reps,plenty of them.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I am also a fan of SD. I wouldn't be surprised if coaches were giving less praise to him simply because of his overwhelming talent. Maybe a motivator. I am very confident every coach, player and fan wants him out there and are thrilled he is in the team.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
What a good post!
Like for so many of us Tech will make him, because he won't let him break him.
Not sure of the nature of the post about more coach encouragment for Sham.
Some high level observations about current situation as regards to playing time.
1. IMO coach is no longer stock piling shirts. NOW if you can help by end of year he is going to give u some reps early in year. Last year we burned Kerge at end of year and while he ok in uga game the added playing time really would have helped. We will have experience on bench.
2. As part of 1 guys like braun are going to play in some qualify time and a lot in 4th quarter of blow outs . Thanks in part to Sham they are blow outs.
3. Its early in year and its HOT AS XXXX. We have known that we have. Clemson on short week and it would be stupid to play the starters too much.
4. In mercer game Burden and Sham bulldozed the nose fackle at will showing u need more in the box. V put up the 4 4 defense and uncovered Sham, and pinched fhe middle.
5. Pass blocking is Rock solid between Burden and Sham. They are the foundation that lets nt step up into a pocket. Sham is so mobile yet powerful it is amazing. Note the extra time in the pocket makes the ab an easier target.
6. Except for bc sham is blocking lessor talented folks. For Sham complements for blocking against clemson, miami, Pittsburgh, vt uga will be remembered for a life time .
7. Coach Fisk, his position coaches, His family have helped HIM reshape his body this offseason.

We are watching and cant wait for uga meets sham.
Thanks playing time isn't the issue yes it is nice to have more than 1plAyer a t any position I thought that was standard and to have more talent is awesome.than say that not PB is here to push SD .I don't react well to threats especially when they are not needed.there is plenty others they can motivate with the push threat .thanks again

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thanks I finally seen most of the game thanks to longest day and gtbob .from the break down he had 90% to perfect game on his feet more 2nd level blocking a great pull above satisfactory pass blocking and mainly none if his men made the play.didn't look winded stayed in help secure a lead I even seen him get the middle lb today .1st string did their job and 2nd string avaible playing time I'd that wasn't worthy of a coaches compliment idk what is .I seen plenty of missed blocks and wrong doing. Still coaches had only good things to say about every 1 else.it's OK now I saw for myself .it showed facts to back my opinion. The coaches is pushing the young talent in the face of SD lace with threats to something he has earn to this point his starting position .yes he is still developing and striving to be and get better.which he has improved. A few mistakes they shouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus or on the bench or hung publicly. They won't praise publicly but quick to criticize and lie publicly. They want me to compare PB and SD OK .back to the film room from what I saw there is no comparison.. Not taking away from PB but speaking for SD .because not many have. I am seeing things different than what the coaches Re putting out.a true test will be on Thurs. All just my opinion .thanks again

Well....all I can say in response is I hope SD doesn't feel the same as you. If so the coaches need to let him know how valued he is. I think him starting shows that but sometimes those sentiments need to be expressed in words. I would hope the good and the bad get equal air time, for all players, in position meetings.

As for PB. I thought he played very well also and I think he deserves playing time. How much? Well I'll trust the coaches to decide.

I enjoyed watching SD mash those SEC "studs". Looking forward to more of the same Thurs vs Clem.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I am also a fan of SD. I wouldn't be surprised if coaches were giving less praise to him simply because of his overwhelming talent. Maybe a motivator. I am very confident every coach, player and fan wants him out there and are thrilled he is in the team.
thanks but does that sound or feel right to you? Talent the stripped from him to dive and crawl at ankles and then say he isn't doing that the right way blew a season on stubbornness .he is not built for that . he worked ,works hard just like every other athletes his size was made for the game but 100% mental effort keeps him playing .can any one pull a clip where either coach had a good word.in 4 years? Thanks again

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I can easily see Mills putting on another 15 lbs of muscle, and then he will be a TRUCK to bring down. He is already tough, but with more size, assuming it doesn't slow him down, he will be an animal at bb.
Or it could cost him a step in speed or a hitch in quickness. At 5-10, if that is correct, his weight would seem about right to me.