Vandy Postgame

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Excellent Win.

What I liked is that there is still room for major improvement.
Left points on the table in the passing game.

Best game I've seen the defense play since FSU last year, maybe statistically better.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
3-0, 1-0 in the ACC, 1-0 in the SEC.

#Cowbell

Edit: Other than the penalties, I think both sides of the ball are improving. Clemson will be our biggest challenge yet.
As Basil Fawlty put it, a triumph of the bleeding obvious. Clemson is literally the biggest test on anybody's schedule now, and there is a reason they made SC State the front game to Thursday. Now we are in for several days -- just guessing here -- of pundits, fans and Clemson coaches talking about getting ready for an unusual offense in such a short time, as though Clemson has not been preparing for it all fall. After a couple of days in the spring. But the truth remains the better athletes have an advantage, and it's hard to believe we'll see a better middle LB than we saw today. A couple of times I hid behind the coach for fear he was coming after me.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
As Basil Fawlty put it, a triumph of the bleeding obvious. Clemson is literally the biggest test on anybody's schedule now, and there is a reason they made SC State the front game to Thursday. Now we are in for several days -- just guessing here -- of pundits, fans and Clemson coaches talking about getting ready for an unusual offense in such a short time, as though Clemson has not been preparing for it all fall. After a couple of days in the spring. But the truth remains the better athletes have an advantage, and it's hard to believe we'll see a better middle LB than we saw today. A couple of times I hid behind the coach for fear he was coming after me.
Louisville might be a little better than Clemson, but that won't matter to us unless we play them in the championship game. I think we may be able to hit some plays in the passing game Thursday, we are going to need to.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pass protection still good, for the most part.

Awesome call to start the game. PJ at his best.

I think Clinton Lynch is our second best A back. He is shifty, has some speed, and is hard to bring down.

Adams came up big on what might have been the play of the game. His bulk and strength kept their back from making the fourth down early in the second half.

The sweetest play I saw today didn't gain anything. If Justin throws it three inches shorter or Qua stretches another three inches....

We got a little more pressure on the QB as the game went on, but still needs work.

We have a lot of defensive linemen who are interchangeable. I really don't see any droppoff between the first team and the subs. That is already helping, but it will be really big in a tight game down the road.

No shanked punts today.

No fumbles, one boneheaded interception.

Butker had another great day.

Mills was born to play B back. Tough inside runner with enough speed and vision to break plays. On the wide play he scored on early in the game, something about his body and the way he moves made me flash back to The Diesel.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Louisville might be a little better than Clemson, but that won't matter to us unless we play them in the championship game. I think we may be able to hit some plays in the passing game Thursday, we are going to need to.
Yes to both. I had to look twice at the FSU score, and feel badly for Charles Kelly who had more than he could handle today with those thugs. Well, the coach is anyway.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Workmanlike effort from the entire DL today. Lots of rotation and definite improvement after the first drive. Love all our guys, but I really like the energy from 93, 54, and 97. 90 (Adams) was huge on the 4th down stop, and is a difference maker in short yardage situations.

Agree that Mills is a natural BB. Tough to bring down.

RJ with the block of the day! Baybay stuff right there.

Loved to see the rotation on both sides of the ball. Assuming we came out healthy which is huge for Thursday. Will have to play even better than today on both sides, obviously.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
From the North End Zone...... We saw the most complete game Tech has played in quite a while. Efficient, tough, kick you in the teeth on both sides of the ball. Some self inflicted wounds (penalties) but aftter the first O series by Vandy it was clear who the better team was. Adams is going to be a beast in the middle, Simmons is playing better and better, AJ laid some lumber and tackling as whole was SO improved. Clem and son will be another step up in competition but if Tech plays with the intensity I saw today it will be a helluva game! :ROFLMAO:

Met @CHE90 today! Getting to know more and more GTSwarm folks!!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
1. It is amazing what a little time in the pocket will do. We had a balanced offense today! I expect multiple mea culpas.

2. Mills can play BB and will get better. Right now he reminds me a lot of David Sims when he was a senior.

3. Last year Coach Kelly said after the ND game that Justin Thomas is "… a game wrecker". He still is.

4. The D is better every game.

5. FSU a national contender? Hah, hah, hah, hah, hah. UNC will win the Coastal? Right. Sure they will.

Now let's stop Watson from running on Thursday. That's the key to stopping the Tiggers. We can beat that outfit, but we have to improve again. Get that many penalties that stop drives and we loose.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Now let's stop Watson from running on Thursday. That's the key to stopping the Tiggers. We can beat that outfit, but we have to improve again. Get that many penalties that stop drives and we loose.

This is really the key, dual threat quarterbacks have been awful for us. But the stadium will be loud on Thursday for this Clemson game. I can guarantee that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ gets a lot of flack for his O, but there are not many coaches as good as he is at game planning. That first play was a great job of exploiting a weakness. He did exactly what spread teams try to do, exploit a speed mismatch. They were ready for a rocket toss, and the whole defense started flowing to the edge. Boom, a short pass to a speed guy being covered by a LB who was fooled into flowing in the wrong direction.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree today was the most complete GT performance since...well, since Tulane of last year.

Problem is, Tulane and Vandy seem to be about the same, and therefore a dominating performance against such a team i snot necessarily predictive of things to come.