UVa Series

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am very pessimistic about the UVA series. For some reason our guys can't play on the road. This season has gotten away from us by losing too many games we should have won.
Can't argue with the results... 2-10 on road. Sucks. One mitigating factor that makes me at least 'hopeful' UVA can be different is they are not the cream of the ACC crop...the likes of UNC, Clemson, or NCST (which account for 9 of those 12 road games we've played).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We HAVE to win this road series, preferably sweep to have a sniff at the NCAA tourney from the regular season. We should put English in on Monday if he can go since he's the best we have and then pitch him again on Sunday against Duke if we are in contention for anything. Otherwise rest him against Duke.

If we don't win the series @ UVA, the Duke series won't matter for RPI to get into the NCAAs and only affect the seeding the in the NCAA tourney. With all due respect to seeding predictions, there are so many moving parts that knowing what seed you are going to be in the middle where we are is a WAG with two series to play.
Does your recommendation on starting English in Gm3 of both UVA and Duke series change with fact that Duke game is on Saturday (not Sunday)... so, one less day of rest for him (2 less than normal). This Monday night game in Cville the 2nd to last weekend of the season is really a BAD deal...really compresses the schedule. ...maybe I'm just reaching for things to be bitter about.

Deleted member 2897

I am hopeful we can play more like we did @ Pittsburgh, but clean it up just a tad. As a reminder, we won the first game there, but then lost the next 2 games, both by 1 run. It was very nearly a sweep (of course they almost swept us too). But the point is that was on the road and we weren't far from a sweep.

We've won 4 series (Virginia Tech, Miami, FSU, and Wake Forest) and we've lost 4 series (UNCheat, NC State, Clemson, and Pitt). Outside of Pitt, those are the #1, #2, and #3 teams in the ACC, so that's not too bad. And like I said, the Pitt series was really close.

We've just gotta come up big against Virginia to keep my Fredoptimism going!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Can't argue with the results... 2-10 on road. Sucks. One mitigating factor that makes me at least 'hopeful' UVA can be different is they are not the cream of the ACC crop...the likes of UNC, Clemson, or NCST (which account for 9 of those 12 road games we've played).
....... or, say, Pitt? I appreciate your optimism and surely hope you are correct & we flip a switch and it all starts to click this weekend.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am hopeful we can play more like we did @ Pittsburgh, but clean it up just a tad. As a reminder, we won the first game there, but then lost the next 2 games, both by 1 run. It was very nearly a sweep (of course they almost swept us too). But the point is that was on the road and we weren't far from a sweep.

We've won 4 series (Virginia Tech, Miami, FSU, and Wake Forest) and we've lost 4 series (UNCheat, NC State, Clemson, and Pitt). Outside of Pitt, those are the #1, #2, and #3 teams in the ACC, so that's not too bad. And like I said, the Pitt series was really close.

We've just gotta come up big against Virginia to keep my Fredoptimism going!
When we point to a series against a weak RPI team on the road and optimistically say we only lost 2 of 3.....well, that is an indication of the depths to which our program has sunk.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When we point to a series against a weak RPI team on the road and optimistically say we only lost 2 of 3.....well, that is an indication of the depths to which our program has sunk.
I'll defend @bwelbo on this one a little. I didn't interpret his Pitt take as a "state of the program" type comment at all. That was not the point. It was more short term forward thinking at the UVA series. Can't win games we already lost... but need to beat UVA to have any shot at playing in this season's post-season. If you (like me) are looking for things (in advance) to give you hope that we can win the UVA series...and it's not just a forgone conclusion we'll lose, then all we need to do is "finish" the games/series which the team failed to do at Pitt. IMO...it is not too lengthy a stretch to think they can actually FINISH. I hope we can.

Deleted member 2897

I'll defend @bwelbo on this one a little. I didn't interpret his Pitt take as a "state of the program" type comment at all. That was not the point. It was more short term forward thinking at the UVA series. Can't win games we already lost... but need to beat UVA to have any shot at playing in this season's post-season. If you (like me) are looking for things (in advance) to give you hope that we can win the UVA series...and it's not just a forgone conclusion we'll lose, then all we need to do is "finish" the games/series which the team failed to do at Pitt. IMO...it is not too lengthy a stretch to think they can actually FINISH. I hope we can.

Right. If that was directed towards me, that wasn't the sentiment I was trying to make in my post.

Virginia is 9-15 in the ACC and Pittsburgh is 11-13. If we nearly swept Pittsburgh, we can sweep Virginia if we just clean up the game we had that day. We are indeed a bad team on the road, but we've been close to road sweeps before. Its not out of the realm of possibility - that's all I was saying.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need to win at least 4 of the last 6 conference games.
Let's start with a W tonight..

To make the NCAAs by end of regular season, I think we need to win 5 of 6 in ACC play. That's because we need to be in the upper 20's to make the cut (unless we get to #6 in the ACC).

If we don't win 5 of 6 and "only" win 4 of 6, I think we need to make final 4 in ACC tourney.

If we win 3 or less of the next 6, we need to win the ACC tourney. Given that will take four consecutive wins on the road, I like our other options.

But completely agree with starting with a W tonight. Can only win the game you are playing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does your recommendation on starting English in Gm3 of both UVA and Duke series change with fact that Duke game is on Saturday (not Sunday)... so, one less day of rest for him (2 less than normal). This Monday night game in Cville the 2nd to last weekend of the season is really a BAD deal...really compresses the schedule. ...maybe I'm just reaching for things to be bitter about.

My starting of English for Duke is contingent on it being worthwhile. Thinking about it more:
If we win 1 or 2 from UVa before the third game, definitely start English. If we've lost two, we're screwed and it doesn't matter. It will all be up to winning the ACC Tourney. So I'd expect to see two and done in the ACC tourney and English never comes up in the ACC tourney.

If we get to the third Duke game and have won 4 or 5, start English. If not, rest him for next year.

Nothing to be bitter about, It Is As It Is. No crying or being bitter in baseball ........ :p

Deleted member 2897

1-0 UVA in the 5th. If we can’t score one single run against a bad team, we want deserve to win...

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Virginia put 2 runners on with no outs in a tie game in the 5th. Their idiot manage did not bunt them over. I bet Danny Hall was laughing his butt off at their manager for not bunting. Of course, Virginia did score 6 runs that inning.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
UF beat uga by scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th. Makes me smile. We can still have a winning season, if we don't flat out quit!! Just need to find a way to put a couple in the left hand side to meet my expectations. Hope left the building a while ago!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Over the decades the GTAA and the Hill have done an absolutely brilliant job of inculcating GT fans to the idea that mediocrity is a great thing.

We can’t even beat ugag and people want to focus on the NCAA tourney? Hilarious. No sense of pride or direction.

Reminds me of a time, after the 1978 FB season, I got a letter ( the thought much appreciated) from our then AD. We had ended the season with an absurd loss to ugag and were totally humiliated, beyond all levels of description, in the Peach Bowl. As was done with who knows how many supporters, the AD wanted to send thanks for the support in terms of money, goods and services donated to the GTAA that season. A line he wrote still sticks with me to this day - “it was a GREAT season”. Bull****. It was horrible, embarrassing and absurd. I feel this attitude still is in evidence. I hope I am wrong. If not, I pray that it may somehow change.

The dumbing down is still evident and the school is turning into something beyond belief.

One can only imagine what would have happened if not for a brief shining moment when Homer Rice was hired and brought in Cremins and Ross.

And I understand Homer was not really brought in to be AD, but to help the school dissolve (for lack of a better term) the GTAA.

Last edited:

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I have attended one game for every home series this season, so I feel I have a right to an opinion. This team has underachieved consistantly this season, as it has in the last so many seasons. How in the world can we put together such a flawed team with no bullpen and no backup position players. The person responsible should face up and retire.