UVa Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Series is Friday May 11th, Saturday and Monday. Hope we get a doubleheader on Saturday. UVa has something going on Sunday and is making the team stay till Monday. &^*^$*

Then the team plays SEMO home game Tuesday in ATL. Thursday, Friday and Saturday Fluke is in ATL.

Real stretch run where UVa and Fluke series may well decide whether we are in or out of the NCAAs.

Anyway, is anyone else planning/hoping to go to the Saturday 4PM game? I'm planning to go. If you're interested, PM me.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Series is Friday May 11th, Saturday and Monday. Hope we get a doubleheader on Saturday. UVa has something going on Sunday and is making the team stay till Monday. &^*^$*

Then the team plays SEMO home game Tuesday in ATL. Thursday, Friday and Saturday Fluke is in ATL.

Real stretch run where UVa and Fluke series may well decide whether we are in or out of the NCAAs.

Anyway, is anyone else planning/hoping to go to the Saturday 4PM game? I'm planning to go. If you're interested, PM me.
Do you know it's UVA with something Sunday? I think it is TV (ESPN) and the ACC driving this to broadcast a "Monday Night" game...not UVA. When schedule originally came out this was a standard weekend (Fri-Sun)... but changed early in the season.

Duke and Wake did this a couple of weeks ago too. They played Fri, Sun, Mon. It was a home game for Wake. They played and lost at home to Coastal Carolina the following (Tues) night. Duke returned home (not far) and shutout Davidson the following night. Your point is well-made. This is not ideal for a part of the schedule we could use that Monday... as a "normal" Monday. It is quite different (than the Wake/Duke stuff) for Tech to travel from Charlottesville to Atlanta to play the following day.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you know it's UVA with something Sunday? I think it is TV (ESPN) and the ACC driving this to broadcast a "Monday Night" game...not UVA. When schedule originally came out this was a standard weekend (Fri-Sun)... but changed early in the season.

Duke and Wake did this a couple of weeks ago too. They played Fri, Sun, Mon. It was a home game for Wake. They played and lost at home to Coastal Carolina the following (Tues) night. Duke returned home (not far) and shutout Davidson the following night. Your point is well-made. This is not ideal for a part of the schedule we could use that Monday... as a "normal" Monday. It is quite different (than the Wake/Duke stuff) for Tech to travel from Charlottesville to Atlanta to play the following day.

Not sure of anything but I think I remember Wiley talking about it on WREK. It's not good for either team to play on Monday, especially the visiting team. Hopefully the weather is projected to be bad and we get an earlier game.......

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA is 5-7 at home in ACC play this year (4 of those 5 wins against BC and VT)... including being swept there in Charlottesville by Clemson 2 weeks ago. They are wrapping up finals this week too. This is simply an "opportunity" to do a some very important things:
1) WIN an ACC road series against a team that has struggled all year long.
2) Salvage some resume building "stuff" for the post-season.
3) Gain what has become increasingly elusive... some momentum and confidence.

Need all phases to show up all weekend: hitting, defense, pitching, and coaching. [Rhetorical... but when was the last time all phases (or even 3 of those 4) contributed in a single game?]

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
This Tech team is like a bucket with many holes. One hole is plugged, but there are three more than can't seem to be plugged on any given night. UGA much more polished than we have ever been. A sad state of affairs for a program that will continue to drift aimlessly under the current leadership. Also, in all my 62 years on this earth, I have never seen such horrible baserunning by a D1 team. Inexcusable, but hey, our coach has won 1000 games so who can argue with that?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
FSU- Clemson played this Monday. We play Uva next Monday. It is the start of a weekly Monday night ESPN schedule. We have little control over it. I still thing we screw up this series because it is on the road, but itwill help us to use our better bullpen pitcher twice.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU- Clemson played this Monday. We play Uva next Monday. It is the start of a weekly Monday night ESPN schedule. We have little control over it. I still thing we screw up this series because it is on the road, but itwill help us to use our better bullpen pitcher twice.

Let's just hope for three complete games. I'll go to the Saturday one. Right now it's supposed to be 94F????!!!! at 4PM when the game starts. Crazy for that elevation.

I predict we win between 0 and 3 with a median expectation of 1. The tailgate before the game two years ago @UVa was great. Very friendly and knowledgeable fans, who quickly offered food and drink. My kind of people. (Just hope UVa finally beats VT in football this year!!!!).

I'm at the point this year that it doesn't really matter. We play so poorly on the road (5-12) and against top 50 RPI teams (5-14), that we won't last long in any tourney unless we turn the corner. Trump is as likely to stop lying.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
A message to our team: get over this poor play on the road, the enemy fans are not going to harm you. Only you are going to harm you.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A message to our team: get over this poor play on the road, the enemy fans are not going to harm you. Only you are going to harm you.

Actually, I hate to say this out loud, but I really haven't seen very good play at home either. The Radford series? No. The loss to Wake Forest at home? Nope. Neutral site vs UGa? Nah.

I would say that, like the last couple of years, for whatever reason, our play has deteriorated as the season has gone on....our hitting is worse, our fielding has been shaky at times, and we all know about our pitching.

Deleted member 2897

We play so poorly on the road (5-12) and against top 50 RPI teams (5-14), that we won't last long in any tourney unless we turn the corner. Trump is as likely to stop lying.

There is no excuse for saying we have a 0% chance of lasting long in the tourney. :cigar:

After losing 5 in a row against the dwags, I thought we were due. But I learned the hard way you don't 'due' yourself into a win. Clemson won each of their 3 swept games @Virginia by 1 single run. Meaning, Virginia isn't going to roll over and let us win any. We have to play good baseball every single day even to just win 1 game. I rubbed the genie bottle and only used 1 of my 3 wishes - to win the opening game. I'm saving my other 2 just yet.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2017-18/release/release_20180510aaa.pdf

These game notes apply to UVA series & SEMO.

Probables:
Fri - Curry
Sat - Thomas
Mon - TBD
Tue (SEMO) - TBD

Anyone concerned English isn't listed on Monday right now?

I did not see UGA game. Was his exit remarkable in anyway?

The pitching setup is difficult given that the UVA series ends a day late and Duke series starts a day early. If you just run Hunter out there the 3rd game both times, he's pitching on 2 days less rest than usual.

I would think what would make the most sense would be to make SEMO just a staff day and take your chances. Then you could do Curry, Thomas, Hunter against UVA; Curry, Thomas, English against Duke, and then start ACC Tourney on Tuesday potentially with Hunter, followed by Curry and then hopefully Thomas and English. Otherwise you're going to have multiple people pitching keys games on unusually short rest.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The pitching setup is difficult given that the UVA series ends a day late and Duke series starts a day early. If you just run Hunter out there the 3rd game both times, he's pitching on 2 days less rest than usual.

I would think what would make the most sense would be to make SEMO just a staff day and take your chances. Then you could do Curry, Thomas, Hunter against UVA; Curry, Thomas, English against Duke, and then start ACC Tourney on Tuesday potentially with Hunter, followed by Curry and then hopefully Thomas and English. Otherwise you're going to have multiple people pitching keys games on unusually short rest.
You make a great point. That probably is the TBD rationale for Mon v UVA. That starter (Monday's) is likely done until ACCT.

Soooo... then what? I think Curry, Thomas are 1&2. For UVA, Duke, & 1st 2 games of ACCT. Agree SEMO is "staff" (not Curry, Thomas, English or Hurter).

Leaves Mon (UVA) & Sat (DUKE). English reportedly was "sore" after WF...not sure if that is an issue really or not. I kinda like your plan. Hurter v UVA & English v Duke. I'd also have English ready for spot "key" relief Sat or Sun v UVA. ...& vice versa for Hurter v Duke (all 3 games).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We HAVE to win this road series, preferably sweep to have a sniff at the NCAA tourney from the regular season. We should put English in on Monday if he can go since he's the best we have and then pitch him again on Sunday against Duke if we are in contention for anything. Otherwise rest him against Duke.

If we don't win the series @ UVA, the Duke series won't matter for RPI to get into the NCAAs and only affect the seeding the in the NCAA tourney. With all due respect to seeding predictions, there are so many moving parts that knowing what seed you are going to be in the middle where we are is a WAG with two series to play.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I am very pessimistic about the UVA series. For some reason our guys can't play on the road. This season has gotten away from us by losing too many games we should have won.